🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Skeevins

Shaolin Soccer

It's not bad so much as it is bugfuck crazy and awesome, as most of Stephen Chow's movies are. This movie is fairly well-known, though, and accessible, so it meets the criteria for review. It's about shaolin masters who play soccer for some reason that escapes me. Possibly to save an orphanage. I don't know. It doesn't matter. I also feel that this show is doing itself a disservice by not reviewing more martial arts movies, which are a treasure trove of insanity.

"Chocloate," for example, is a movie about a Muay Thai master who is also a young autistic girl that picked up her skills from watching Jackie Chan movies.

• Like 1

I love this movie too. I found it even more entertaining by watching it with dubbed english dialogue instead of subtitles.

Yeah, the English dub is pretty epic. Also, I hate reading during an action/comedy movie.

LOVE Shaolin Soccer. I saw this movie first on a tiny television at a booth at ComicCon, and was completely transfixed.

One of those ideas that is so perfect you wonder why no one tried it earlier. Chow as his poor, young, idealistic kung fu master alter-ego who believes martial arts is the answer to everything in every day life.

Struggling to find a way to honour his former master and the arts he imparted he discovers soccer. With the aid of a wronged former soccer star he gathers a team who employ their skills to defeat an evil team.

The clever combining of real martial skills with cgi in inventive ways really makes the movie interesting to watch. Wire-fu that doesn't suck and the slapstick comedy is just the topping with good humored jokes and a heartwarmingly hopeful story.

Scenes like: underwater football training, egg practice, playing against a team who use weapons, dumpling fu with song & dance are all so wonderful.

I actually saw it after Kung Fu Hustle, which would also make for great material.

One really interesting thing with those Stephen Chow movies is the differing experience you get from watching with subtitles and the deliberately comic English dub that alters the characters and puts things in a new light... again a master stroke of marketing and vision you sadly don't seem to get anywhere else.

One of my absolute favorites. Best weird movie ever. I know it's been mentioned by other users but i would love to hear you guys talk about it. please please!

I don't usually care for sports or kung fu movies but may be I just need to see them together in one crazy film. I'm going to have to keep my eye open for one with the English dub.

For me, this movie isn't "so bad it's good," it's just plain ole' good. I don't think it would give them much fodder to talk about. Just my take on it.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this