đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—

I like Von Trier. His films aren't always good, but when they are they're great. I also enjoyed My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done? quite a bit, but then again I am kinda gay for Herzog.

I know a lot of people do. I hate his ugly, miserable movies, and I think he's kind of an asshole IRL. Everything about that guy rubs me the wrong way.

Lars von Trier

Ugh.

Blech.

I liked Kingdom, that's it (and Udo Kier is great in that). I can't believe I even bothered watching Antichrist. I can't think of a director I actually despise more. Jesus, if you really want to hate yourself and him, go track down a copy of Von Trier's "Epidemic".

There's a fantastic interview with Udo Kier over at the AV Club. On meeting Pamela Anderson for Barb Wire:

So I went there and took both hands around her waist, which was like a transvestite, so small, and I said, “Wow! How amazing!” And I kissed her. When I touched her, all the producers, they fly to the wall because they thought she was going to hit me, and thinking, “How horrible! That foreign, German piece of shit is coming in my trailer!” And she loved it. I stepped out of the trailer, and the assistant was there and I said, “Send her 50 roses from me.” Then we became friends, and I went to the director and I said, “I don’t want too many directions on how to act with her. Can I just smell her in the film? Doesn’t matter how far from me, let me just go like [sniffs deeply].”
  • Like 1

Oh god, there's so many good quotes in that interview. Go read it.

The Bible is wonderful. It’s only one book, but you can put two grams of coke on top of the Bible, and you first take a line of coke and then you open the Bible. Because then you understand.

Ugh.

Blech.

I liked Kingdom, that's it (and Udo Kier is great in that). I can't believe I even bothered watching Antichrist. I can't think of a director I actually despise more. Jesus, if you really want to hate yourself and him, go track down a copy of Von Trier's "Epidemic".

There's a fantastic interview with Udo Kier over at the AV Club. On meeting Pamela Anderson for Barb Wire:

Seriously, when I watch one of his films I feel like I'm performing a kind of self-flagellation to atone for some unspeakable sin I committed in another life.

• Like 2

Ugh.

Blech.

Yeah, I wasn't big on Antichrist, beautifully shot, but it just didn't come together. However, I really enjoyed Europa, Dogville and The Five Obstructions.

I was thinking that he did The Conversation, but that was Vinterberg taking up the Dogme 95 challenge (and probably producing the only good Dogme 95 movie)

I would re-watch this one for HDTGM. It was stupid, sure. But I was surprised at the level of the special effects. Better than it should have been.

And just to be clear, I don't have sophisticated taste in movies by any means. I am the guy who defended Rocky 5 as being watchable.

This might be just so so incredibly terrible, and the themes and plot so frustrating to explore, it would not make a good show, but I will run down some highlights for sake of fascination and disbelief.

Secret nazi moon base they escaped to in world war 2

Sarah palin (charicature of) is basically the president

A black astronaut/model is turned "white" with nazi whiteface and is our protagonist, its not just weird torture stuff.

Giant space battleships and flying saucers

Slapstick nazis

Its catorgorized as a comedy and has maybe one laugh in a north korea gag, but its more disturbing than anything. It doesn't know were its going and what it wants to say, besides war is bad I guess, but holy shit whomever made it thought they were saying A LOT. I believe its produced in finland. Available on netflix and werever books are sold.

I like Von Trier. His films aren't always good, but when they are they're great. I also enjoyed My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done? quite a bit, but then again I am kinda gay for Herzog.

I just have to come back to this and say:

- I think Von Trier's slower films are alright, and it seems his misogyny is waning slightly with that last one.

- My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done? is SO GOOD, and at times, legitimately hilarious.

In 1945, the Nazis escaped to the moon. Now, they're coming back to conquer the Earth!

Barking mad premise, cheesy acting, and the sheer low budget-ness of it all make this a shoe-in for the HDTGM treatment. I'd love to hear their take on this utter gem.

I personally love this movie, it's silly, stupid and good fun.

Also, they're crowdfunding a sequel. Have at it!

I honestly really admire all the effort it took to pull this movie together (all the fans who donated to the production are thanked by name in the end credits) It just feels like because it was in production for so long, elements like the Sarah Palin parody ended up really dated.

I honestly really admire all the effort it took to pull this movie together (all the fans who donated to the production are thanked by name in the end credits) It just feels like because it was in production for so long, elements like the Sarah Palin parody ended up really dated.

It's still a staple of shitty "comedy" though. I mean, sure, while the woman continues to make an ass of herself to this day, she became irrelevant pretty quickly. It's an easy go-to though for the Seltzer/Friedberg set and for movies made elsewhere where she's one of the few notable American political figures that you could recognize right off the top of your head.

I re-watched this the other night, and it's definitely next-level bonkers. What I loved most about it, is when they're walking around "New York", it's actually Frankfurt, because I recognised buildings from when I went there....

Also, the Palin "assistant" / campaign manager / space commander-ess is utterly ham-tastic in this. She goes from zero to batshit crazy in 10 seconds.... Also Udo Kier is not having to work very hard.... except when he gets volleyed in the head. (spoiler).

This movie is a camp classic. It is so tied to the era, but still holds up with the current administration. The theme that they are stuck on the moon because they haven't developed computing power needed and is almost solved by an iPhone is precious. Since is was only ALMOST, they have to travel back to earth to get an iPad! It's great, hilarious, and super bad. They also crowd sourced a sequel, which is a lot harder to find, and I can't tell you it's any better or worse. Just do this movie, please!