🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SlidePocket

Episode 243.5 - Prequel to Episode 244

11 hours ago, RyanSz said:

Another series with dark tones and a bit of humor that I've been reading the hell out of is Outer Darkness by John Layman who wrote the equally fantastic Chew. Outer Darkness is essentially Star Trek with ghosts and exorcists, and where the ships are powered by death gods who require a soul sacrifice in order to emit their power to the ship. It's a dark and action filled series with a decent blend of humor that is Layman is great with.

That was a good book - I think it was recently cancelled unfortunately. Cool idea though. We should start a pull list thread for comics recommendations perhaps, so they aren't buried in individual episode threads?

Also for those who like reading digital comics, there is a massive archive of Image comics series currently up as a Humble Bundle. Great deal for a good cause, and available for 5 more days.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RyanSz said:

I'm wondering if they had waited a bit longer for the Hulu attempt if it would have gone through after Hulu has produced amazing series based on King's work with 11/22/63 and Castle Rock.

Yeah, I thought Castle Rock was great (11/22/63 was a bit of a mixed bag for me. It didn’t totally come together for me, but it was interesting. Glad you liked it!). The Locke & Key pilot came about after both of those shows (or perhaps around the same time as Castle Rock). After Hulu pulled the plug, Netflix snatched it up pretty quickly and put it into production. If things had gone to plan with Hulu, it would have come out a year or so before Netflix did.

2 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

That was a good book - I think it was recently cancelled unfortunately. Cool idea though. We should start a pull list thread for comics recommendations perhaps, so they aren't buried in individual episode threads?

Also for those who like reading digital comics, there is a massive archive of Image comics series currently up as a Humble Bundle. Great deal for a good cause, and available for 5 more days.

Yeah I saw that but that's mainly because Layman published it under Skybound, which has the power to cancel a series, and not Image directly, which is more creator owned and basically only ends a series if the owner decides and that's usually when it is costing them more to print the comic than they are making on it. I get why Layman went to Skybound as a rumored part of the deal is access to Robert Kirkman's connections in TV and movies, and having talked to Layman at a convention he has been trying for years to get his work adapted. He was going to release an animated series or film based on his Chew series but it hit so many snags, like co-lead Robin Williams dying and funding dropout, that it eventually never happened, so the idea of getting a leg up on another attempt probably sounded ideal for him.

On 7/17/2020 at 2:20 PM, RyanSz said:

Yeah I saw that but that's mainly because Layman published it under Skybound, which has the power to cancel a series, and not Image directly, which is more creator owned and basically only ends a series if the owner decides and that's usually when it is costing them more to print the comic than they are making on it. I get why Layman went to Skybound as a rumored part of the deal is access to Robert Kirkman's connections in TV and movies, and having talked to Layman at a convention he has been trying for years to get his work adapted. He was going to release an animated series or film based on his Chew series but it hit so many snags, like co-lead Robin Williams dying and funding dropout, that it eventually never happened, so the idea of getting a leg up on another attempt probably sounded ideal for him.

There's certainly worse fates than to have Kirkman in your corner! He and Chris Samnee have a new series called FirePower which is essentially a mashup of Iron Fist and Avatar: The Last Airbender (only it's about firebending, not airbending, so far).

16 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

There's certainly worse fates than to have Kirkman in your corner! He and Chris Samnee have a new series called FirePower which is essentially a mashup of Iron Fist and Avatar: The Last Airbender (only it's about firebending, not airbending, so far).

Yeah it's in one of my Amazon lists I just haven't gotten around to ordering it. Kirkman has another series with Chris Burnham, who's art style I just love, called Die! Die! Die! which is kind of like a Manhattan Projects but set in the spy/secret society world.

2 hours ago, RyanSz said:

Yeah it's in one of my Amazon lists I just haven't gotten around to ordering it. Kirkman has another series with Chris Burnham, who's art style I just love, called Die! Die! Die! which is kind of like a Manhattan Projects but set in the spy/secret society world.

Nice, that's the one they didn't tell anyone was happening right? Kirkman loves his little promo tricks.

Breaking news forwarded from my son just now: Keanu Reeves is writing a new limited series with artist Matt Kindt! And it is called, pause for effect, BRZRKR.

https://ew.com/books/keanu-reeves-comic-book-brzrkr/

I'm never current with this show anymore (never really was), so all I can say is that, while I know that the quarantine is making production difficult, I'm still disappointed that we didn't get a supercut of every time Paul, June, and Jason said "Signor".

Sign in to follow this