🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
owen.global

Playback (C. Slater) - Lowest grossing movie of 2012 (less than $300)

Wow, so I just finished watching this and it's pretty bonkers. Christian Slater plays a pedophile cop, who is top billed but a minor character at best (the main character is third billed). The plot is confusing which could lead to great discussions trying to get everything straight.

I was skeptical at first at whether this would be a good movie for the podcast to do, but after watching I think they could do an amazing job with it.

Even more frightening is that the movie had a budget of $7.5 million. Hey at least it made more than Zyzzyx Road which starred Katherine Heigl and Tom Sizemore which after being in one theater for one week grossed $30, the lowest of all time. The only reason it was put into a domestic theater was a obligation from the SAG.

I recall watching the trailer a while back and getting the impression that it's basically a low-budget "The Ring" ripoff. (Why you would want to rip that movie off at all is beyond me.) The Wikipedia page is paltry and doesn't do much to dispute the idea. It's almost a dare.

Also, wasn't this available on iTunes before it came out in theaters? Most movies from Magnet Releasing/Magnolia Pictures seem to do that nowadays. If so, that might be part of the reason it made such a paltry gross; if you have the choice between watching a recent Christian Slater movie in public or in private, do you really expect people to choose to see it in public?

Sign in to follow this