๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
JulyDiaz

Episode 146.5 - Minisode 146.5

The Nightmare Before Christmas ...

ย 

oh you've opened up a sack full of worms now ... this is an annual discussion round my way. The nightmare before christmas is a christmas movie right? i've never seen it as anything else even though the title, setting, characters and first 5 minutes are all halloween ... it never felt like a halloween movie to me.

ย 

but when i google kids halloween movies it's the first result and usual when people bring it up it's as one of their favourite halloween movies ...

jzipv8.jpg

ย 

i don't get it ...

ย 

it really is one of my favourite movies and it's not christmas in my house until jack sings "what's this?" ....

ย 

what do you guys class it as?

ย 

note: yes i know it's way too early early to bring up the christmas season so i do apologise ...

• Like 2

ย 

oh you've opened up a sack full of worms now ... this is an annual discussion round my way. The nightmare before christmas is a christmas movie right? i've never seen it as anything else even though the title, setting, characters and first 5 minutes are all halloween ... it never felt like a halloween movie to me.

ย 

but when i google kids halloween movies it's the first result and usual when people bring it up it's as one of their favourite halloween movies ...

jzipv8.jpg

ย 

i don't get it ...

ย 

it really is one of my favourite movies and it's not christmas in my house until jack sings "what's this?" ....

ย 

ย 

note: yes i know it's way too early early to bring up the christmas season so i do apologise ...

My 4-year old will watch the film all year if he has his say. He loves it, but I think he views it more as a Halloween movie than for Christmas. Maybe it's because of the look and feel and the "This is Halloween" song. If anything, you could probably justify classification as a 4th quarter film, because it covers both holidays.

ย 

I like that the voice of Jack Skellington is done by Chris Sarandon, who also plays the antagonist in Fright Night.

• Like 3

I view it as both. I watch it around Halloween more though.

• Like 2

Arachnia, Final Sacrifice...

I just reread this...you watched Zap Rowsdower?!?! Nicely done.

ย 

Oh, and another I need to dust off is Herzog's Nosferatu. To date, that's the only film I went to by myself, and it creeped me out because there was only one other person in the theater. I haven't seen the original, but recently saw Shadow of the Vampire and it made me want to watch both.

• Like 1

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

I know the director came out recently and said it was definitely a Halloween movie, but I have to agree with you--it's Christmas all the way! I usually watch Corpse Bride for Halloween and Nightmare at Christmas. Sometimes people don't understand their own work, I guess...

ย 

I just reread this...you watched Zap Rowsdower?!?! Nicely done.

ย 

Why, thank you!

ย 

tumblr_n9rp4axtxR1qbs5duo2_400.gif

• Like 5

Oh, and another I need to dust off is Herzog's Nosferatu. To date, that's the only film I went to by myself, and it creeped me out because there was only one other person in the theater. I haven't seen the original, but recently saw Shadow of the Vampire and it made me want to watch both.

I haven't seen Herzog's Nosferatu but I have seen the original from 1922 and I have to say it actually made me laugh out loud. I can appreciate the movie for what it is but after seeing so many decades of films past the silent era that have legitimately scared the shit out of me this movie was just funny. There's literally a five minute scene of him running through the town carrying his own coffin and that paired with how fast the film actually runs in silent movies just made everything so silly. I loved it.

• Like 2

I haven't seen Herzog's Nosferatu but I have seen the original from 1922 and I have to say it actually made me laugh out loud. I can appreciate the movie for what it is but after seeing so many decades of films past the silent era that have legitimately scared the shit out of me this movie was just funny. There's literally a five minute scene of him running through the town carrying his own coffin and that paired with how fast the film actually runs in silent movies just made everything so silly. I loved it.

Thanks for the warning. Maybe Shadow of the Vampire is close enough to the original. Malkovich and Dafoe are both fun to watch.

ย 

Herzog's is worth seeing. Definitely dated, but I don't recall any points that made me laugh. Atmospherically, it's pretty gripping. The opening title sequence is really well done. If you watch it alone in the dark, it might give you some scares.

ย 

Here's the opening sequence.

• Like 1

Thanks for the warning. Maybe Shadow of the Vampire is close enough to the original. Malkovich and Dafoe are both fun to watch.

ย 

Herzog's is worth seeing. Definitely dated, but I don't recall any points that made me laugh. Atmospherically, it's pretty gripping. The opening title sequence is really well done. If you watch it alone in the dark, it might give you some scares.

I would still watch it, though. Cause there's honestly nothing like watching a silent film. They're so special! The makeup and prosthetics they did are outstanding and the way they manipulate the atmosphere and having his shadow alone be incredibly creepy really sets the whole tone. Basically don't watch it thinking it'll scare you but for the history of horror.

• Like 1

I would still watch it, though. Cause there's honestly nothing like watching a silent film. They're so special! The makeup and prosthetics they did are outstanding and they way they manipulate the atmosphere and having his shadow alone be incredibly creepy really sets the whole tone. Basically don't watch it thinking it'll scare you but for the history of horror.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect to get scares watching the original. It would strictly be from historical perspective.

ย 

Lang's Destiny is on Netflix. I haven't watched it yet, but it's fairly high on my list.

I would still watch it, though. Cause there's honestly nothing like watching a silent film. They're so special! The makeup and prosthetics they did are outstanding and the way they manipulate the atmosphere and having his shadow alone be incredibly creepy really sets the whole tone. Basically don't watch it thinking it'll scare you but for the history of horror.

ย 

I agree on silent fantasy and horror, they have such a drealike quality.

• Like 4

I agree on silent fantasy and horror, they have such a drealike quality.

Funny thing is I saw A Trip to the Moon for the first time this year and it was actually wickedly creepy. Even creepier is the restored version that's been colored and has a soundtrack by Air. Like nah I think I'll pass on ever seeing that again cause I really don't want nightmares of old bearded dudes harassing aliens while this haunting music plays.

• Like 2

Speaking of alternative soundtracks, have you ever seen the version of Nosferatu with an industrial soundtrack? You might not find that version so funny.

• Like 2

Omg no but if it's anything like A Trip to the Moon then I think it would genuinely scare me.

ย 

It's so crazy how music can genuinely change everything.

• Like 2

Man...Is anyone else having trouble mustering up the desire to watch Gamer? I'm having so much fun watching Halloween movies right now, I really don't feel like watching it. Too bad they didn't choose to do Lawnmower Man this week. At least then I could justify it as a sort of horror movie. Oh, well...I guess I'll carry on...somehow.

• Like 6

I... I just want to say but I love this entire page. There are few things I enjoy more, in my nerd brain, than discussing the merits of Halloween-themed movies, whether they be horror or just seasonal. Hell, I can debate about Nightmare Before Christmas being a Halloween or a Christmas movie for hours on its own. Personally, it's always felt more like a Christmas movie to me, but I'll watch it on Easter if presented with the opportunity. It certainly has its share of both holidays but that's why I love it so much, since I love Halloween all year 'round, even during Christmas (which I also genuinely love).

• Like 4

Man...Is anyone else having trouble mustering up the desire to watch Gamer? I'm having so much fun watching Halloween movies right now, I really don't feel like watching it. Too bad they didn't choose to do Lawnmower Man this week. At least then I could justify it as a sort of horror movie. Oh, well...I guess I'll carry on...somehow.

i really enjoyed it. alot of other people hated it though. it's not as much fun as the crank movies and it is sluggish in its second half but when it was good it was really good. there's one moment in it that i though was amazing. it was nuts

• Like 2

i can see why people find the original Nosferatu cheesy and funny in places but i love it ... there were some genuinely creepy assed moments in it and it's use of shadows has been copied since (although i'm sure they were used on stage long before it came out).

ย 

i've never seen herzogs remake but i have a copy somewhere. i've been watching some of his older interviews on youtube recently and ended up watching some of klaus kinski's interviews. wow i wish i could have been on one of their sets.

ย 

and defoe in shadow of a vampire is hilarious.

ย 

speaking of nightmare before christmas, last night i finally watched selcik's coraline. it's a dark movie! .. i loved it. i had a 3d version .. you know the old type with the blue/red cardboard glasses ... i haven't used them is years. and it worked too. the colours suffered but when it went 3d it was alot of fun. but it's an excellent movie with more than one nod to the nightmare before christmas. i don't have kids but i wonder how it would be received by them.

• Like 1

So, I've been spending the month watching "Halloween" movies pretty much exclusively. As Halloween is next Monday, it's time to start in on my traditional movies... Anyway, I just wondering, do any of you have traditional Halloween movies?

ย 

Cameron H. I read your long list and the lists that others have posted and it make me want to ask...

ย 

Who here has seen "Trick 'r Treat"?

ย 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukylEvRE76w

• Like 4

i can see why people find the original Nosferatu cheesy and funny in places but i love it ... there were some genuinely creepy assed moments in it and it's use of shadows has been copied since (although i'm sure they were used on stage long before it came out).

ย 

i've never seen herzogs remake but i have a copy somewhere. i've been watching some of his older interviews on youtube recently and ended up watching some of klaus kinski's interviews. wow i wish i could have been on one of their sets.

ย 

and defoe in shadow of a vampire is hilarious.

ย 

speaking of nightmare before christmas, last night i finally watched selcik's coraline. it's a dark movie! .. i loved it. i had a 3d version .. you know the old type with the blue/red cardboard glasses ... i haven't used them is years. and it worked too. the colours suffered but when it went 3d it was alot of fun. but it's an excellent movie with more than one nod to the nightmare before christmas. i don't have kids but i wonder how it would be received by them.

Yes, Dafoe was funny in Shadow of the Vampire. I like him in just about anything, and this is no exception.

ย 

My son is four and has seen The Nightmare Before Christmas and Coraline. He loves the former, but is more than a little creeped out by the latter. "I don't like the people with button eyes." But Oogie Boogie is fine, I guess.

• Like 1

ย 

I totally get what you are saying because it happened to me with "Dreamcatcher" and I couldn't watch it in time to discuss it here in the forum :(... I have "Gamer" (I have seen it before) on the ready and plan to see it this afternoon for when I return home after work...

• Like 2

I don't specifically aim to watch more horror movies during October, but I probably do. Right now I am watching an 80s heavy metal horror movie called Black Roses that is pretty HDTGM worthy.

• Like 2

I love both versions of Nosferatu but I guess I prefer the original. I know some aspects are a little silly, but those are just film-making conventions of the time, the same for any decade or era. Gamer certainly has its... foibles (like making me feel like I need to puke from motion sickness, then showing that greasy obese gross fucker and then I wanna puke some more). Even great movies are artifacts of their time. I wouldn't want Casablanca to be any less 1940s, ya know? I wouldn't want Nosferatu to be any less weirdly 1922 either. I acknowledge that it might be a big ask to watch silent movies now for some people, but that's also why I really like Nosferatu, Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, or something like Metropolis since there's SO MUCH visually going on in those films. German Expressionists were nuts.

• Like 3

I consider both Nightmare Before Christmas and Gremlins to be Christmas movies, and in my house they are treated as such.

• Like 1