đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Grand Moff Talkin'

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)

Captain+Kirk+Go+Climb+a+Rock.jpg

Laughing Vulcans. Row, row, row your boat. Triple-boobed cat aliens. Rocket boots. "What does God need with a starship?" Of all 13 Trek movies, this one is primed for HDTGM.

Synopsis: A renegade Vulcan makes Kirk (William Shatner), Spock (Leonard Nimoy), McCoy (DeForest Kelley) and the Enterprise go to a planet at the center of the galaxy.

The behind the scenes stuff is fascinating. Shatner's ego couldn't take the fact that Nimoy directed the previous two films so he demanded to direct their final film in the series. The film got caught up in the writer's strike and Shatner ran through the budget, leading to terrible reviews and box office, so much so the cast decided to come back for The Undiscovered Country so they could finish on a high note.

I love that the villain's super power is to show people things that make them sad; and then they join his cult. Like, if he showed up today all he'd need is that commercial where it rains on the puppy and he would rule all of humanity.

How has this not been done yet?? With Paul being such a huge Trek fan, this movie is perfect for HDTGM. 

Bumping for being the only Star Trek movie to contain Vulcan Marshmallow Dispensing Technology:

• Haha 2

I haven't seen this in a while but remember it being really awful and perfect for the podcast, especially since it is available on Hulu and Amazon Prime for people to watch. 

8 year old me thought this movie was the funniest thing ever, and I watched it at my dad’s house a million times. I’m surprised the vhs didn’t suffer a tragic “accident.”

I still enjoy working the occasional “what does God need with a starship?” into conversation, though. 

• Like 2