🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 61 — Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot

The wonderful Kate Spencer joins us this week to discuss the Sylvester Stallone & Estelle Getty classic Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot. We discuss everything from infant fetishizing, diaper nightmares, and the possibility that all the characters in the film have borderline personality disorder. Tune in to hear us try to make sense of a movie that Sylvester himself is ashamed of. Enjoy!

• Like 1

UN-FUCKING-BELIEVABLE. Had any of you bothered spending even 15 minutes playing the original Stop or My Mom Will Shoot game for the SNES before watching this movie, all of the questions you had about the backstory would have been answered.

• Like 15

Ebert liked Cop and a Half.

One year after that "I'll be back" line in Stop! there was a Stallone Terminator poster in Last Action Hero (DO THAT MOVIE)

Wow this episode, like the last 6 or so, sucked. The show has devolved into all adverts, self promotion and no preparation. Wheres the insight? the love? the research? the reactions?

Sadly it feels like this is now just work for you guys and you pick the obvious movies a million podcasts have already done and done better with a guest who is more interesting in shilling their own projects than having any interest in the review. Remember the Sleepaway Camp episode.. that was great.. a movie few have seen is truly note worthy in it's awkward awfulness and you all had something to say about it.

Cut your losses and just do the live stuff where you excel with prepared material and you actually give a damn about the material and your audience once more.

It actually makes sense that Estelle Getty would shoot the bad guy in the left shoulder. The first time she fires a gun (right after the titular line) she says "a little high and to the right, but not bad for a beginner." So, yeah, she's a lousy shot, but she's a consistently lousy shot.

But help me out. Why did the bad guy kill his henchman? I had so many problems with the logic of that scene. I would understand if he just doesn't want to pay him or share the money or if he wanted to punish the guy for failing, but none of that adds up. He wants to present the murder as a suicide, but really why bother? You're about to leave the country forever. No one's ever going to see you again. Why not just shoot the guy and dump his body somewhere? If the cops find it, who cares? You're gone! And if he wants to kill him so as not to pay his henchmen, why does he kill him using another henchman? Who was that guy?

Plus, we don't even see whether or not the suicide ruse works! We don't know if it was an attempt to trick the cops or a diabolically complex scheme to gradually lead the henchman over to the window to push him out.

It just seems hard to believe that of all the movies Roger Ebert hated with a passion, this would be #1. What is the likelihood that he hated this movie more than "I Spit on Your Grave" or "North"?

• Like 2

The most troubling part of this movie for me was mom not answering the phone at the beginning. It was like they were setting it up for her to be really curmudgeonly and a real ball buster but then she shows up and she is adoring and doting. I mean yeah she nags him but she clearly would be happy to make her entire life about her son so why wouldn't she answer the phone when he calls? It would have made more sense for him to be at the bar and for his mom to call him! But what in this movie makes sense?

thus poste zarathustra

edit oh now that that post actually has content my post looks dumb. well then. ;(

• Like 1

I did think it was interesting that Jo Beth Williams and Sylvester Stallone are very nearly the same age. So despite the weird sexism present in the movie, they did at least avoid the May-December trope.

Kate Spencer didn't really have much to say. I like it better when the guest is someone who is really into the movie and knowledgable on the topic. I was really excited about this one, but... I don't know. I don't feel like it was very in depth. I am, however, interested in reading Save the Cat!

• Like 1

Kate Spencer didn't really have much to say. I like it better when the guest is someone who is really into the movie and knowledgable on the topic.

I noticed that too, but I felt like June was on fire this episode so I didn't mind so much.

• Like 1

If you watch Cop Land carefully, you'll see that there's a clear through-line between the two films. Stallone is essentially playing the same character a few decades of mother-love have beaten him into a simpering wreck. Sometimes I watch Cop Land first in a kind of Star Wars-ish old trillogy/new trillogy thing. By the time you get to the end of Stop or My Mom Will Shoot, you really feel for the guy. I'd be lying if I said I didn't cry a little- which was a huge breakthrough according to this movie.

I'm actually surprised that people can watch Cop Land without having seen the other film and still make sense of it. If you can do it, good for you. But I definitely recommend them as a double feature.

I've found, say, the last six HDTGM episodes pretty great. This one was no exception. Jason, Paul and June are really firing on all cylinders, in my opinion.

• Like 7

Oh and for the Golden Girls trivia fans out there, Rue McClanahan was actually the youngest cast member.

• Like 1

The most upsetting thing that happened in this episode is that we found out June spends her leisure time and hard-earned money watching Adam Sandler films.

I think I feel ill...

Sign in to follow this