🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
spglee

Split Second (1992)

Rutger F-ING Hauer!

It is London, in the "future" of 2008. The city is permanently under a foot of water due to excessive rainfall. Hauer portrays a burnt-out homicide detective who has survived for years on "Anxiety, coffee and chocolate" after the death of his partner . . . by a literal demonic monster who has come back to terrorize the city and kill again.

Quotes:

"We need to get bigger guns. BIG F---ING GUNS!"

"I don't think this thing thinks it's Satan, I think this thing IS Satan."

"Well Satan is in deep shit."

Truly an amazing piece of . . . cinema.

Things I love about this movie:

The main character's inexplicable love of coffee and chocolate, to the point where he consumes NOTHING else.

The fact that it's set in a futuristic London where global warming has flooded the city, which had to have been a bitch for a film crew to set up and shoot around without electrocuting themselves... and it literally never affects the plot.

The inexplicable ability of Hauer's sidekick* to interpret astrological signs the monster leaves behind.

The fact that the enemy of the movie is an alien monster, who in the first scene (before he's revealed to be a monster) manages to kill someone in a crowded club's bathroom and escape completely unseen.

Things I don't love about this movie: Why the hell is it not on easily-accessible DVD? The cheapest DVD of it on Amazon is $90!

* Fun fact about the sidekick: In real life, he's married to Anna Gunn, the actress who plays Skyler on "Breaking Bad." It's the kind of relationship that just makes no sense when you look at them.

Yeah, it's mostly available as a bootleg vhs-to-dvd transfer, sadly.

Things I love about this movie:

The fact that the enemy of the movie is an alien monster, who in the first scene (before he's revealed to be a monster) manages to kill someone in a crowded club's bathroom and escape completely unseen.

If I remember correctly (and I probably don't), early on when we don't know what it is yet, doesn't it also kill with surgical precision, like it takes the heart right out of someone or something? But yeah, when we see the thing later on, it's just a big smashy alien monster thing.

This is a very unique sci-film. Its funny, because it's trying to be serious. You know what I'm talking about. one of those movies that you want to watch a second time, just to see if it was real.. But in a good way. lol

In 2008, London is suffering from the worst flooding in a decade. As the water levels rise, Harley Stone is a neurotic veteran cop who seeks revenge on the creature that killed is partner. As a new rookie is assigned to him, Stone must find the killer, rescue his girlfriend and fight off his own inner demons as he gets closer and closer to his mysterious enemy.

- Written by Will Comrie

Just watch the trailer :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3htEmUIUSo

"we gotta get Bigger Guns"

I knew someone had to have suggested this one before. I just recently watched this and oh my god this is utter perfect fodder for the HDTGM team.

There is just so much to cover from the actors in it, their characters and traits (as mentioned above ones like for only chocolate and coffee and nothing else)

to the acting, the fact that london is flooded yet we can quite clearly see in many shots, it's not or the evil animal type thing (literal demonic monster) they fight at the end which looks like a rip of of the alien from Aliens. So much is covered and so much is not explained... love it absolutely loved this bat shit crazy film

I searched for a while and couldn't find a thread for this, so...

"In a flooded dystopian future London, Detective Harley Stone hunts a serial killer who murdered his partner and has haunted him ever since. He soon discovers what he is hunting might not be human."

https://youtu.be/A-M8PbnA-M8PbnAiTc

This film thinks it's Terminator meets Alien, but ends up looking like an episode of Red Dwarf 

• Like 1

I recall watching this movie when I was young and it just popped up on Prime. I've already called the reviews of The Wraith, Action Jackson, and Rad. Going for a Quaternary pull. It has all the best late 80s, early 90s cop movie tropes and HDTGM musts: main character is named Stone, rookie nerd partner named Dick, insane dialogue, cops constantly casually pointing guns at each other, boobs, loud chewing, distopian future, Kim Cattrall, a low for Rutger Hauer... This thread doesn't allow for enough characters. Did I mention it's actually a science fiction movie? Watch it. Let's make this happen. 

Sign in to follow this