๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
Sign in to follow this  
KSundquist

The Purge (2013)

Bottom line... "The Purge" fails to deliver.

It looks like Purge 2 is an upgrade from the original. Are these going to be the new Saw?

It looks like Purge 2 is an upgrade from the original. Are these going to be the new Saw?

No the new Saw is Paranormal Activity. I have higher hopes for the sequel as it looks like it's going to give viewers what they wanted out of the first film with total anarchy and mayhem rather than a home invasion movie.

Who is ready for some super subtle and not at all "beat you over the head with it" social commentary

Am I the only one who thought the first Saw was the best?

ย 

(granted I only watched the second one after and was so grossed out I never saw another)

ย 

(granted I only watched the second one and was so grossed out I never saw another)

You're right in that the first was the best because it was basically a two man play, albeit in a darker environment. Also, in my opinion the twist at the end is one of the best in all of movie history, because no one was expecting it and it played into the theme of taking things for granted. As for the sequels, I liked most of them since I love gory horror movies and many had decent twists and traps, though the sixth one had such a shoe-horned universal healthcare message in it that it was almost unbearable. What's funny about that series is that it got a ton of flack for the violence and gore, which started around the third one I think, and I want to say James Wan was asked about how they came up with some of the ideas for the traps and how they could handle being so violent in their films. He gave the best response by saying they just looked at books about the Spanish Inquisition and the Crusades for starting points, and then REELED BACK the violence because the violence people see today in movies is nothing compared to what was actually done during our darkest times as a human civilization.

ย 

As for this series, I hope they end with this one as the previous film hinted at revolution against the Purge as it is revealed to be a culling of the lower classes in society under the guise of releasing one's pent up frustrations. Now that the setting of the movies has evolved from a single house to the top of the political food chain, this should be the end of the series.

• Like 3

ย 

(granted I only watched the second one and was so grossed out I never saw another)

ย 

TBH I quit the series after the 2nd Saw, I liked the 1st one a lot though. I didn't mean "the new Saw" in increasing quality I meant it more like a release every year with increasingly insane scenarios. Obviously they're not releasing them every year though.

• Like 1

TBH I quit the series after the 2nd Saw, I liked the 1st one a lot though. I didn't mean "the new Saw" in increasing quality I meant it more like a release every year with increasingly insane scenarios. Obviously they're not releasing them every year though.

Ah okay I understand now. I immediately jumped to quality because of how universally disliked this first Purge movie was. I haven't seen any of them, but the second movie does intrigue me way more than the first one did.

The 2nd Purge is not a masterpiece by any standards, but it does a better job of using the premise of "anything is legal for one night" than the first one and thus is more entertaining. I do feel like it tries too hard to shoehorn in social commentary where had they just tried to tell a story within the premise the same commentary would have emerged on its own.

ย 

The first one also had some cheese in things like shots of people in masks skipping in slow motion while holding machetes, where the 2nd left those kinds of things out and had more effective (albeit a bit derivative) costumes.

ย 

I'm sure I'll see this Purge when it's on HBO.

Ah okay I understand now. I immediately jumped to quality because of how universally disliked this first Purge movie was. I haven't seen any of them, but the second movie does intrigue me way more than the first one did.

The first Purge is good for being introduced to this world and the idea of the Purge along with how people interact with the notion of no crime for a 12 hr period. There's nothing that really connects the first two movies outside of premise and a single character cameo who I myself forgot about since he was sort of a quick glance in the second film. The only other real notable thing about the first movie was that while many times a scenario like this would give the audience main characters who are actively against the focal idea of the film, yet this movie has the characters as supporters of what the Purge does, just not active participants. I thought that was a decent twist on how a movie features its lead characters, although in the scenario of the first film I would have Purged the shit out of the two kids in the main family, as they were two of the most unlikable and most deserving to die, in almost any movie that I have ever seen. The kids from Ray Donovan are less assholes than these two fuckwads.

Sign in to follow this