🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 270 - Government Names

The gang reunites for this wonderful episode of Who Charted? They chat with "Fresh Off the Boat" star Randall "Randruff" Park about rappers' stage names during the Top 5 Shazam's Future Hits chart. Randall cracks why Howard has a strong dislike of motorcycles during the Top 5 Video Game Releases in February chart. H. Michael Kre talks about his Texas tour with KuKu and Engineer Cody Pendent during Two Charted. Lastly, Kulap updates us on all the amazing cameos to keep an eye out for on "Bajillion Dollar Propertie$."

Just caught up on the episodes of Hey Gang and I encourage anybody who hasn't listened yet to check them out on soundcloud. There's a great one where Howard theater hops between The Martian, Peanuts, and Spectre with his AMC card. Also thoroughly enjoyed his journey to find Black Friday.

• Like 3

speaking of which, anyone know if the new Hey Gang from the Austin Stories house has dropped yet and, if so, where it's located? I've been periodically refreshing his soundcloud, but he's was referring to it as if it were already available.

I was front row at the Dallas show, so I can confirm the "Pantera" vibe Howard was talking about (i.e. lots of very large, frowning dudes with their arms crossed about as close to the stage as physically possible... there was a metal show happening right after his set, so they were most likely just waiting around for that)... the venue isn't that bad, I'll probably be back to see a couple punk shows this year... it's just not an ideal place for comedy.

"Government Names (featuring Randruff)" on the next Summah album or GTFO.

Great episode, Randall seems like a great guy and our intrepid hosts were both in top form.

• Like 4

Great episode, Randall seems like a great guy and our intrepid hosts were both in top form.

Agreed!

Does anyone else wonder why they do video game charts? With the music and movie charts they both have real interest in the subjects leading to fun stories and compelling insights, but for they most part they both don't play video games. Now, obviously Howard plays GTA, which is cool, but that's like just watching the Fast and Furious movies and nothing else. I mean, just the fact that he doesn't understand why people still play games on PC is evidence enough that he doesn't have a lot of knowledge about video games which is a perfectly fine and normal thing, I just wonder why they bother if they both don't have any interest. Is it just because it's a chart that relates to pop culture?

"Government Names (featuring Randruff)" on the next Summah album or GTFO.

Randall Park just seems like a genuinely great person.

Agreed!

Does anyone else wonder why they do video game charts? With the music and movie charts they both have real interest in the subjects leading to fun stories and compelling insights, but for they most part they both don't play video games. Now, obviously Howard plays GTA, which is cool, but that's like just watching the Fast and Furious movies and nothing else. I mean, just the fact that he doesn't understand why people still play games on PC is evidence enough that he doesn't have a lot of knowledge about video games which is a perfectly fine and normal thing, I just wonder why they bother if they both don't have any interest. Is it just because it's a chart that relates to pop culture?

I think the idea is for the guest to have some comment on whatever chart they are doing and then the conversation goes from there. But on a week like this when neither the hosts or guest cares about the video games it doesn't help much.

Since they are rotating the charts now maybe they could reach out to the guest ahead of time and let them choose what the second chart should be.

It's not really that much different from talking about movies they haven't seen (which I'd guess is usually the case for at least 4/5 movies). The only real difference is that movies are more a part of the cultural conversation, and they might have opinions about the actors or directors rather than knowing nothing at all. Ultimately, the chart entries have always been a jumping-off point for a conversation more than the subject of a specific discussion.

• Like 1

Love me some Randall Park. Really fun episode, especially that first segment.

One thing that frustrates me about the video game charts is they always focus on upcoming games. Not only does nobody in the room care, even if they did, they wouldn't even have had a chance to play them.

I'd like it if they'd save the games charts for when Kumail or Emily or someone who cares is on. Or ditch them altogether. The charts are supposed to be a jumping-off point for conversation, for sure, but when they're just background signposts to hit on a disitnerested conversation, I think the show'd be better served if they'd leave games behind and focus on movies and TV.

• Like 3

Love me some Randall Park. Really fun episode, especially that first segment.

One thing that frustrates me about the video game charts is they always focus on upcoming games. Not only does nobody in the room care, even if they did, they wouldn't even have had a chance to play them.

I'd like it if they'd save the games charts for when Kumail or Emily or someone who cares is on. Or ditch them altogether. The charts are supposed to be a jumping-off point for conversation, for sure, but when they're just background signposts to hit on a disitnerested conversation, I think the show'd be better served if they'd leave games behind and focus on movies and TV.

I think you have a point that if they do a games chart (which I'm for) it should be games that have actually come out, like the movies and music charts. Top selling of the last month or top releases the last month, or something. I think they need a third chart to break the repetition that music and moves can get into, and VGs is fine.

Plus, that theme.

Plus, that theme.

Yes. "A, B, X, triangle" makes me laugh out loud every time.

Yes, the theme is top notch. Thanks for the responses peeps. I do agree they should talk about ones that have already come out. I would love to hear more about Howie's adventures on GTA. Like, has he ever stolen a jet from the military base? Did he like the campaign story? Is Trevor his fav?

speaking of which, anyone know if the new Hey Gang from the Austin Stories house has dropped yet and, if so, where it's located? I've been periodically refreshing his soundcloud, but he's was referring to it as if it were already available.

As per usual, the Hey Gang thing makes zero sense. He released two episodes last night - one of which he had already released, and one of which was just recorded, and thus is probably not the Austin one he discussed here.

Correction - The 1/29 "Austin Stories House" episode apparently was posted last night, but for some reason it wasn't showing up in my stream.

I also liked that they actually wrapped up 'Who's Charted' properly when it was time for Randruff to leave, and then came back with the Bugle theme. It seemed succinct and well put together. Also, I loved this episode! All moods were good and fun and left me feeling fuzzy and familial afterwards.