🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 138 - The Boy Next Door (w/ Heather Anne Campbell, Ben Siemon)

It really hasn't been a good past week and a half now and I'm just plain exhausted by everything in this world.

I'm even exhausted by my own enjoyment to talk about feminism in shitty JLo movies.

15565906.gif

• Like 1

Guys I finally watched this movie and wow... J Lo is in great shape for a 44 year old mother of twins... I saw the extend cut with even more eye gouging goodness. Anyhow, I hope you can help me identify a movie. It came out in the last 5? Years or so and had a title like the neighbor next door or something that sounds slot like TBND. It's a story of a young ex army/military guy who lmoves into a house next to a family and protects them from bad guys. The male lead was a good looking young dude with blonde or light brown hair. Help me fellow movie watchers!!! Thank you.

Guys I finally watched this movie and wow... J Lo is in great shape for a 44 year old mother of twins... I saw the extend cut with even more eye gouging goodness. Anyhow, I hope you can help me identify a movie. It came out in the last 5? Years or so and had a title like the neighbor next door or something that sounds slot like TBND. It's a story of a young ex army/military guy who lmoves into a house next to a family and protects them from bad guys. The male lead was a good looking young dude with blonde or light brown hair. Help me fellow movie watchers!!! Thank you.

Do you have any more information? Because even going through my IMDB brain the only movie that comes up is The Guest but he didn't move next door and

definitely wasn't trying to protect the family.

• Like 1

The only thing I get so far while googling is Gran Torino. haha!

The first movie I thought of was "You're Next" but that was a girl, not a guy.

Also "The guest"

Do you have any more information? Because even going through my IMDB brain the only movie that comes up is The Guest but he didn't move next door and

definitely wasn't trying to protect the family.

I mean, he kinda was, until he wasn't. I forget what the exact story was there but it was very entertaining. But if that's not the movie in question I'd love to know what is. I love a neighbours movie.

Also i strongly encourage everyone to revisit all the Anton Yelchin movies they can get their hands on. He really was a fantastic actor. I think Charlie Bartlett could be my favorite highschool movie. His recent Green Room is a great horror survival pic. Of course I love me some star trek and terminator salvation but he has a lot of heart in everything he does. I'm looking forward to catching up on his back catalog of movies I'd never seen like Odd thomas, Broken Horses, the Driftless Area, House of D, Along came a Spider. I might even watch him acting next to Mel Gibson in the Beaver. If you're feeling especially generous you can watch him acting next to patron saint of HDTGM Nic Cage in possibly his worst movie of all time, the Dying of the Light.

For some back story, I started properly listening to this show a few months back after a long break from it and get through a couple a week,watching some of the movies but not all. I've been lurking on here the whole time and planned to maybe join in when i was up to date, but this movie stressed me out so much I had to make an account and talk about it. I'm aware I'll probably be talking to nobody, but if anyone does read this, sorry for reminding you about this terrible terrible movie.

I'm so baffled as to so many things about this

How long has TBND lived here? I really don't understand the passage of time in this film. He killed his Dad years ago, unless I've misunderstood, but only moved in with his relative at the start of film? Where has he been this whole time? I feel like it would be more understandable (to an extent) if he'd lived there for a couple of years and secretly been pining over the beautiful woman next door for a little bit and it's spiralled out of control, but his terrifying emotions in this seem to have been borne over literally days?

I found it so stressful that no man respected any of JLo's boundaries. Even aside from literally everything that TBND does, her son absolutely doesn't respect that she's currently uncomfortable with John Corbett being around. And I get it, he's a teen boy who wants his mam and dad to get back together, but I'd expect this behaviour from a 12 year old, not someone in their mid/late teens? And same for JC, just leave her alone to deal with your betrayal, pal.

The blonde hardware store lass, did she have some deleted scenes because I truly don't understand why she was in on any of this, does TBND have a magic dick? Every woman makes absolutely terrible decisions about him for reasons I don't understand. He's creepy af and yeah I guess he's attractive, but he's not that hot is he? I was also deeply uncomfortable with seeing her naked, how old is that character meant to be?

I don't understand where the cops are in this movie, TBND publicly bashes a kid's head in to the level where he literally fractures his skull and pushes a teacher over. It's been over a decade since I was at high school, but I'm 100% certain the police would be called, they were called any time someone got caught with a tiny bit of weed, never mind smashing each other's heads in? When he's just driving all over the road, I feel like someone would have snitched. And that's separate from every single time JLo should have called them (which is SO MANY TIMES).

Speaking of cops, near the end, does Kristen Chenowith say "we're not having dinner with his mother, we're having dinner with COPS" or did I completely mishear that.

Also, if TBNDs whole thing is that he hates cheating dads, why is she so insistent on punishing JLo even more? Ugh, what a horrible toad of a man.

I'm sorry that I wrote so much in an inactive thread, I'm just legit cross about this film. I texted a friend about it and it was just all caps I HATE THIS, I UNDERSTAND NOTHING

Also Cameron H, I'm with you on the JLo in her silky pjs being weird. If I'm getting ready for a night out, I sometimes might shove on a t shirt when I'm doing my make up or whatever, but I 100% don't put my sex pyjamas on and try on high heels, that felt p jarring to me too.

• Like 3

Also Cameron H, I'm with you on the JLo in her silky pjs being weird. If I'm getting ready for a night out, I sometimes might shove on a t shirt when I'm doing my make up or whatever, but I 100% don't put my sex pyjamas on and try on high heels, that felt p jarring to me too.

giphy.gif

Welcome to the boards! Great insights! Also, I’m pretty sure we’re best friends now. I hope you’re cool with that :)

• Like 2

Welcome to the boards! Great insights! Also, I’m pretty sure we’re best friends now. I hope you’re cool with that :)

Thanks, friend! 100% fine with that, in my head I'm already best pals with a bunch of you, which I promise is much less creepy than it sounds (although I totally might go back to lurking until I'm more caught up so I'm not talking to myself in a bunch of dead threads, we'll see)

• Like 2

Thanks, friend! 100% fine with that, in my head I'm already best pals with a bunch of you, which I promise is much less creepy than it sounds (although I totally might go back to lurking until I'm more caught up so I'm not talking to myself in a bunch of dead threads, we'll see)

I get that. I didn't feel comfortable posting at first until I got caught up (sometime around the first Howdies). I just don't want you to feel like you have to have listened to every episode in order to keep current. We have a lot of fun conversations that you you might enjoy.

And don't worry about posting on dead threads, sometimes you've got to purge these movies out of your system. I get it - lol

• Like 1