🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
frankcappello

Episode 8 - Evolution

How did the human race come about? It's a hilarious riddle, we know, but it is also the topic of much debate. Whether you call it evolution, survival of the fittest, or natural selection we are here to talk about it with Dr. Martin Cohen from California State University Northridge. Hear the gang wax poetic over the important scientific conundrums of ugly people's existence and the embarrassing nature of pooping. And just for good measure, we threw an Emo Philips joke in to keep the comedy alive.

Hey T&K&D,

Thanks for another good one-the shows get better and better, and Dr. Cohen was great-you all touched on so many topics that this could easily have been a two-parter, I think. I laughed a lot while listening to this show, and the idea about evolution moving in any directions (not just refinement or increasing sophistication) was fascinating, too.

Great episode, I definitely think the best format for the show is to have a professor/expert there to drop the science while the gang provides the comedy. Also, I think it'd be interesting to do shows on current issue, an episode on obesity/nutrition as Stuart suggested would be great, as would an episode on the energy crisis, maybe even an economics episode.

Maybe a little less vaguely hostile-sounding interruption might help...every moment doesn't need to be a joke, if you're going to discuss something, particularly if you need to fill in some background.

Can't believe they'd never heard the Emo joke and that only one of them got it!! Of course, the dude didn't tell it great.

I love the idea of Dr. Cohen as The Riddler. Great show guys, keep it up, I hope you're seeing good numbers. If not, the listener base will evolve over time.

Heh.

Here's an idea: If you're going to have an expert on whose expertise you supposedly want to hear, maybe don't shit on him every time he talks. It was fine at first, but after a while I really started to notice that when everyone was laughing, Dr. Cohen's voice was conspicuously absent.

At the very least, make sure the guest expert knows what he's getting into. That is, that this is a podcast hosted by people with a vague interest in things they don't understand and who are more interested in cracking wise than learning anything. In other words, guest experts and this show might not be such a great match.

Dr. Cohen is a friend of Tig's, had listened to the show, knew what he was getting into and was thrilled with how the episode came out, even asking to come back for another. So look for more Dr. Cohen in the future with hopefully longer riddles! Thanks for listening everyone!
Signed,
RL

Well, I figured he had to be *someone's* friend -- I don't see any other way an actual expert in a scientific field would end up on this show. He may have been told what he was getting into, but it didn't sound like he was up to it. Again, maybe give more of a shit about what your expert has to say than trying to come up with the next one-liner. Or maybe limit the expert's time on the show to one or two segments to give the hosts more time to get it out of their collective system. It's not like they were especially listening to him anyway. They seemed to have the patience of three fourth-graders.

On the plus side, that also meant that there didn't seem to be time for a patented You Can't Seriously Believe That idea from David Huntsberger, the show's living embodiment of the Weekly World News.

I'm with hot dog on this one. I thought the Professor was really interesting and it sounded like the hosts couldn't care less about anything he had to say. Mostly I was hearing desperation to be funny. Lots of podcasts are trying desperately to be funny. I thought the point of this one was that sometimes it is enough to be interesting. The same thing happened with Dr. Platt. If you just want some sort of riff session among three comedians with occasional appearances by their comedian friends--fine. That would make this show the 116th with that format. If you want to talk science, philosophy and life then don't try so hard to always be "on."

I really got into this podcast. I can't get people who are not professional artists like these comedians, who like to make comments about how they should be on air. This is like telling your dentist how to pull your teeth out. How in the fuck would you no how act funny on a podcast. Lets see you do it.

Sign in to follow this