🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 3 - Ron Chernow: Rockstar Biographer

Without historian Ron Chernow, Hamilton the musical probably wouldn't exist. It was Chernow's critically-acclaimed biography of Alexander Hamilton that first inspired Lin-Manual Miranda to put Hamilton's story to music. These days Chernow is still pinching himself that his long book triggered off such a creative explosion. He tells us about researching Hamilton, seeing this work adapted for the stage, and even sings along to his favorite Hamilton song, "Satisfied."

• Like 1

I'm listening to this now. I'm very excited about this podcast. I worked a lot on the Hamilton genius page when the soundtrack first came out. (Lin Manuel Miranda cosigned one of my annotations. NBD.) Since I'm more of a history buff than a rap than a knower of all things rap, I ended up doing a lot of the Chernow annotations (expanding on the details from this book, his biography of George Washington and some other history texts).

Anyway, this was very cool to hear his take on the musical and how involved he got to be. Can't wait to read whatever he writes next (Hercules Mulligan! /subliminal message).

• Like 2

I got a kick out of the lead-in to this episode. I too basically learned that Hamilton got shot by "Awwm Buhhh" from that commercial (technically for milk, but peanut-butter figured heavily in the plot):

• Like 2

I have to say that for someone who has not been able to get to New York to see the musical, the "rewind" part still translates properly without the visuals lol.

But seriously "Satisfied" is truly something special. As much as I love love LOVE Eliza I wasn't immediately hooked on her with "Helpless" but then Angelica starts singing and every emotion comes pouring through my headphones and suddenly I am in love with her. That was such a beautiful way to tell the story of that one night.

• Like 2

How cool is it to hear Chernow speak...his casual conversation style is better than me at my wittiest.

Also, thanks for using my message on the show! Though I am still a huge fan of Hamilton's nemesis Adams, Mr. Miranda has managed to force me to see Hamilton's side in a new light.

• Like 2

I've been catching up on podcasts that I've missed out on over the past few weeks and finally got to listen to this episode. It was fantastic! For anyone interested, I heartily recommend both Ron's Hamilton biography (there's just so much interesting stuff that couldn't possibly make it in to the show) and Hamilton: the Revolution. I'm so glad they asked Ron if there was anything they was anything he wished had been a part of the show. As I was listening, that was the question that kept popping up in my head and I'm glad they asked it. Great interview!

• Like 1