Sign in to follow this  
zeecheree82

The People Under the Stairs (1991)

I remember turning the channel seeing part of this with the guy in a S & M suit. My dad say "Uh Hell no!" and changing the channel. I laughed really hard since I knew what the movie was.

This is a great one. Came here to recommend it, and did a search first. An actual line of dialog: "Someday Mama I'm gonna buy you a Cadillac for each foot, and you gonna skate around town lookin SO bad!" Another one: guy jimmies open door; "I done busted this houses cherry. She's WIDE open now!"

They should definitely cover this film for Halloween episodes. It opened at #1 in American at the box office when it was released so it’s legit lol. The movie made no sense to me then, I can’t imagine how cray cray it is today lol.

I love this movie both because of and in spite of its glaring flaws. Its such a weird and creepy movie, this one definitely spooked me as a kid when I first watched it.  The actors playing the brother/sister are both fucking amazing. I also remember loving the set design of the house, it almost became its own character in terms of how much of an impact it leaves on the viewer. 

I think this would make for an amazing Halloween episode, I really hope they decide to watch this movie at some point. 

On 9/19/2018 at 8:44 PM, Ofcoursemyhorse said:

I love this movie both because of and in spite of its glaring flaws. Its such a weird and creepy movie, this one definitely spooked me as a kid when I first watched it.  The actors playing the brother/sister are both fucking amazing. I also remember loving the set design of the house, it almost became its own character in terms of how much of an impact it leaves on the viewer. 

I think this would make for an amazing Halloween episode, I really hope they decide to watch this movie at some point. 

It’s a refreshing movie for having a black hero in a horror movie in the early 90s (they talk about how the black horror-loving audience was virtually ignored in the 80s in the excellent doc Horror Noire, which is a Shudder original. This film and Candyman are mentioned for standing out during this time period). 

It’s also fucking bonkers! I hope they do it at some point.

• Like 1

Tales from the Hood is another favorite of mine from the era, great performances including a super dark turn from David Allen Grier.

• Like 2

Watched this movie this past weekend w the wife and friends. My god it’s still beyond bonkers lol. We all thought the people were more in the walls than under the stairs but that’s more a technicality lol. God I hope they do this one someday it’s so batshit crazy.