🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

The Razzies gave this only one nomination and it was "Worst Supporting Actress" for Sandra Bullock?! This movie may have it's problems, but I say Bullock definitely goes in the "plus" column.

I think that may have been for Bullocks eyebrows in the movie. If you watch closely, it's like the cop's tape mustache at the end of Sleepaway Camp, where her eyebrows change from scene to scene. One second they are full and dark, the other they are literally drawn onto her face. Plus, was I the only one hoping to find out she was a corrupt cop in the spiritual leader's pocket? Think about it, she has a home and office at work that are filled with various illegal contraband including daggers and samurai swords and goes against nearly every set guideline of how to act in public by cheering for violence, acting negatively about things, etc. She does all of these things and isn't in the cryoprison and in fact still has her job as a cop?! I think she was the above ground version of Wesley Snipes, killing miscreants for petty crimes, but she wouldn't be prepared for the fight that she would get from Dennis Leary's people so the leader unfroze Wesley Snipes to be his assassin for that job.

Demolition Man totally deserves an episode. Stallone's movies are an untapped reservoir of ridiculousness.

I saw this movie once a few years ago and when I remembered it, I thought it would be eye-rolling awfulness. Rewatching it, this is an Amazing Film. I'd never thought I'd say this, but Stallone and Wesley Snipes have AMAZING chemistry and banter. The only thing I genuinely detest about this movie is the product placement (I Could Handle Taco Bell, but Oldsmobile and the Commercial Radio Network?)

This really would be on the Fast Five/Crank 2 side of this show.

Did you know that the name listed for parole before Simon Phoenix is "Scott Peterson"

Demolition Man was amazing for it's time and a really entertaining film, I don't think it deserves to be made fun of.

Anyway, yeah, I think this is a really fun, dumb movie! And I just realized that Schneider and Stallone was not just a one time thing. They really need to get back together.

The missus and I rented the damn DVD last night due to this thread, neither of us had seen it. I'm pretty sure at the time this came out I had just started college (Evergreen State, represent) and probably considered myself above mainstream everything for about nine months. Glad that didn't last long! Anyways...

I was confused -- the overall tone was so silly that I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be taken seriously as satire or if it's just meant to be a funny action movie? I guess just go along with it and not overthink it? But the dialogue was so ridiculous; after a shootout or something, Sandra Bullock finds Stallone alive and says (and I quote) "John Spartan, I was worried that your life force was terminated prematurely." And everyone in the future talks like this! And they always say everyone's full names when speaking to them.

Speaking of the future, boy, are we in the year 2032 or what? Everything is so hilariously "futuristic"; everybody wears weird monochrome robes and hats except for formal wear or bathrobes, which are kimonos. Future cars! Future sex! And there's constant pop culture references that people talk about as though 40 years ago was an ancient, unknowable civilization.

And then there's the underground people, who are rebels or maybe not all of them? I dunno. And there's no showers or clothes washing taking place, ever. But there is a perfectly preserved and gassed up 1970 Oldsmobile, unlocked and with the keys apparently in the ignition.

Stallone and Bullock have VR sex, which is actually kind of disturbing visually and seems like something out of a horror film.

Then he makes her a lovely cable knit sweater overnight, from one skein of yarn.

Dennis Leary does a bit that is like 99% straight from his stand up at the time.

Wesley Snipes and his henchmen's armor is very obviously made from car tires.

TACO BELL!

Also, this whole movie takes place in the Los Angeles area; I'm pretty sure we're never told about anything else going on in the rest of the state, country, or the entire world. They explain that the Mayor of new L.A. was the one who developed this whole new system, so is all of America like this now? Did L.A. secede? And I don't really understand his motive for needing Wesley Snipes to kill Dennis Leary, like why that was even necessary?

Wow, I could go on and on. But it's definitely a fun movie, and I think it'd make a great HDTGM. Infinitely more watchable than Judge Dredd.

• Like 1

This is one of those movies you come across while flipping channels and inevitably watch it until the end. There's just something oddly appealing about it.

It should be called, Demolition Meth.

I saw this movie once a few years ago and when I remembered it, I thought it would be eye-rolling awfulness. Rewatching it, this is an Amazing Film. I'd never thought I'd say this, but Stallone and Wesley Snipes have AMAZING chemistry and banter. The only thing I genuinely detest about this movie is the product placement (I Could Handle Taco Bell, but Oldsmobile and the Commercial Radio Network?)

This really would be on the Fast Five/Crank 2 side of this show.

I remember seeing this in the theater when it came out and it was a joy! This a serious summer action flick. Even the humor provided by Duece Bigalow and Dennis Leary isn't all that bad.

I sure hope my laserdisc player still works. as I only have this Movie on that format....

Yeah part 2 of the videos is pretty good too. Always knew Snipes was off a bit when it came to acting, I'm still laughing about how Blade Trinity was made.

looks like from pauls website that they are doing Over the top and Demolition man, two Sylvester Stallone movies?

Yeah it was announced on the HDTGM Facebook page. It seems Stallone has become the new Nic Cage for the show.

I think one of the problems with most Wesley Snipes movies is that he almost always plays his characters as invincible. As a good guy, who inevitably wins, this makes for a boring story. As Simon Phoenix however this works perfectly.

My great-grandmother (who lived to be 99) thought Wesley Snipes was 'the most handsome man' she'd ever seen, and greatly enjoyed his movies when they would run on TV. I have a very fond memory of taking her out to lunch where she then spent some time relating the plot of Passenger 57 to me, which she found riveting (mostly because of Wesley's muscles).

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this