🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays-Week 5-Across the Universe

It was my assumption that he didn't get to visit home and he died in war, doing that brave thing.

[/quotE]

He got a medal for doing "that brave thing," you know. I believe they even wrote a song about it. I think it's called, "The Ballad of That Brave Thing He Did."

• Like 4

With all of the dumb throw away lines this movie had there could have at least been one about how disappointed she is that she can't seem him before they killed him off.

Also I agree that the whole "I'm never having children" scene before It Won't Be Long is the most cringe-worthy thing to me. It screams of one of those things where the director told EVR to react to something shocking without actually telling her what she was reacting to and then go into the stupid dialogue. You can almost even see where the editor did a poor job of cutting the scene so it looks like they where just standing and then started walking as soon as she called action lol.

Particularly since the 'I'm never having children' line comes RIGHT before she joyously celebrates that the love of her life is coming home from Vietnam, so undercuts her love for this guy by saying 'yeah I like that dude but due to my principles I'm never having kids'. This is the worst possible situation for such a line to be added.

And, gotta say it. She forgets buddy is dead SUPER fast.

• Like 4

And, gotta say it. She forgets buddy is dead SUPER fast.

Oh, love is transitory at best in this movie.

• Like 3

You can almost even see where the editor did a poor job of cutting the scene so it looks like they where just standing and then started walking as soon as she called action lol.

I know! It was so obvious.

• Like 4

Why did Jojo and Sadie have that fight on stage? Is it because Sadie wanted him to wear silly outfits? And then did they reconcile? How?

• Like 2

Why did Jojo and Sadie have that fight on stage? Is it because Sadie wanted him to wear silly outfits? And then did they reconcile? How?

It was because she was pushing the dudes to the side while she took center stage. I can't remember what they were originally called but I imagine it was like "Sadie AND the so & so's" and then James Urbaniak really just wanted her without the band and had her drop everything and just be "Sadie."

Like normally it wouldn't seem like that big of a deal because she did keep saying that it was HER band but I think she always marketed them as one full entity rather than just her backups. Plus the relationship that she had with Jojo after that probs became rocky and they fought it out on stage.

We never get to see them reconcile but you just know they did at the end because they're there together. Also I think it's one of those they realized they were both wrong kinds of things because Sadie hated the sound of the new guitar guy and Jojo just wanted to go find her.

I loved them a lot and everyone keeps talking about getting rid of them but honestly they have more chemistry together than Jude and Lucy.

• Like 4

It was because she was pushing the dudes to the side while she took center stage. I can't remember what they were originally called but I imagine it was like "Sadie AND the so & so's" and then James Urbaniak really just wanted her without the band and had her drop everything and just be "Sadie."

Sadie and the Po'Boys (completely nonsensical New Orleans reference for no reason)

• Like 4

Hope you can answer this too. In the With a Little Help from My Friends were they pretend-smoking a joint because the lyrics contained the phrase "get high"?

• Like 4

Like normally it wouldn't seem like that big of a deal because she did keep saying that it was HER band but I think she always marketed them as one full entity rather than just her backups. Plus the relationship that she had with Jojo after that probs became rocky and they fought it out on stage.

We never get to see them reconcile but you just know they did at the end because they're there together. Also I think it's one of those they realized they were both wrong kinds of things because Sadie hated the sound of the new guitar guy and Jojo just wanted to go find her.

I loved them a lot and everyone keeps talking about getting rid of them but honestly they have more chemistry together than Jude and Lucy.

It's not that I wanted more Jude and Lucy, just less of "everything." I would have been happy with a Sadie/JoJo centric tale. It might have even made more sense.

• Like 4

Hope you can answer this too. In the With a Little Help from My Friends were they pretend-smoking a joint because the lyrics contained the phrase "get high"?

Yes, exactly. But they couldn't include an actual joint because that would mess with their rating.

H/T to IMDb.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0445922/trivia?item=tr1068664

• Like 3

Yes. And the waitresses asked them if they "needed anybody," which was weird. And then an old man asked them if it could "be anybody" and everyone laughed because...homosexuality is funny?

• Like 4

Yes. And the waitresses asked them if they "needed anybody," which was weird. And then an old man asked them if it could "be anybody" and everyone laughed because...homosexuality is funny?

No - because homoPHOBIA is acceptable.

• Like 3

No - because homoPHOBIA is acceptable.

Yes, yes. Of course.

• Like 1

Maybe they were laughing cause he's old? I have a feeling Max was a experimenter when it comes to sexuality.

• Like 4

Speaking of moments where other randoms chime in - in 'Hey Jude' there's that drunk guy who shouts out 'Hey Jude' as he falls down drunk, for some reason. The interjections there seemed weird too.

Except for one thing. The sound of all those Liverpudlian urchins in a back alley just like the ones that the Beatles grew up in, all singing 'na, na, na, nanana naahhhh' in Hey Jude - essentially representing their heritage - is a favourite of mine.

• Like 4

Hey! Speaking of IMDb trivia: what do we make of the fact that Paul, Yoko, Ringo, and Linda Harrison all endorse this film?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0445922/trivia?item=tr0752074

Apparently Paul sang along in the cinema while he watched, which is terribly sweet (and you can TOTALLY picture him doing that)

I don't know the exact situations, but thise anecdotes all sound like the actors found out one of the Beatles clan was watching it across town, the actors corner them in the lobby and ask them if they liked it, and they say, "...yeah."

It's probably just how I'm reading it, but it hardly seems like a ringing endorsement. Although Paul would 100% sing along.

• Like 3

I don't know the exact situations, but thise anecdotes all sound like the actors found out one of the Beatles clan was watching it across town, the actors corner them in the lobby and ask them if they liked it, and they say, "...yeah."

It's probably just how I'm reading it, but it hardly seems like a ringing endorsement. Although Paul would 100% sing along.

Per IMDb:

She was nervous about what he would think so when the movie was over she asked if there was anything he didn't like about it and McCartney responded "What's not to like?"

*refers her to this message board and Cameron's list of things he hates*

• Like 2

As a guy, how do you know if you're receiving obligation chocolates or romantic chocolates?

Well it's a basic three step process.

1. Are you in a position of authority? If you're a supervisor or boss and someone under you gives you some chances are they are out of obligation. Not always true though.

2. Are they homemade? If yes probably not obligation. Homemade means a greater degree of thought and caring. However not everybody has free time to make chocolate.

3. The packaging and brand. If it's a something they put together or a famous brand like Godiva, it's probably out of real caring.

• Like 4

Did anybody else think that Max being a taxi driver at the end of the film was a nod to Taxi Driver? I mean he's not originally from New York so it's not like he has a great understanding of the streets and roads of New York. Was this a common things for Vietnam vets to get work as taxi drivers?

• Like 2

Did anybody else think that Max being a taxi driver at the end of the film was a nod to Taxi Driver? I mean he's not originally from New York so it's not like he has a great understanding of the streets and roads of New York. Was this a common things for Vietnam vets to get work as taxi drivers?

He's a taxi driver at the beginning too - he nearly runs JoJo over and Joe Cocker the hippie rescues him from being squashed. I think that's just the job Max got and kept it throughout.

There are several deleted scenes on the Blu Ray of Max rescuing a 13 year old prostitute with a gun sleeve.

• Like 5

I am biased, but I think NYC - specifically Manhattan - is one of the easier cities to navigate because of the grid system (mostly). Numbered streets run East-West and Avenues run North-South. Broadway goes diagonally.

• Like 4

Sorry I just saw "Titus" and immediately my mind went to this

Sorry, totally off-topic, but did you know that Tituss Burgess actually has a Pinot Noir brand? My friend was in NYC last week and sent me a picture of a giant storefront ad for it.

I am biased, but I think NYC - specifically Manhattan - is one of the easier cities to navigate because of the grid system (mostly). Numbered streets run East-West and Avenues run North-South. Broadway goes diagonally.

This just makes me think of John Mulaney's rant about Home Alone 2 and how it's "impossible" to get lost in New York.

• Like 4

Hey, speaking about how dumb Valentine's Day is (was that this thread? Or another one?) - anyone see the Netflix Michael Bolton Valentine's Day special? Lots of Earwolf talent in there. I saw it last night, meaning to watch five minutes and not being able to look away. It's something else, alright.

• Like 3

Hey, speaking about how dumb Valentine's Day is (was that this thread? Or another one?) - anyone see the Netflix Michael Bolton Valentine's Day special? Lots of Earwolf talent in there. I saw it last night, meaning to watch five minutes and not being able to look away. It's something else, alright.

I watched it. It was dumb, but it made me chuckle a couple of times.

• Like 4