🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
sillstaw

The Lone Ranger (2013)

The word Tonto is a derogatory word it's self. look at it like this if you call a native American Tonto and odds are your going to get sand in your face, to put it lightly. so think how a native person would see Tonto as a character. Your not going to have a lot of native American's at your casting call. it's like if you had taken that al jolson movie and wanted to hire a African American to play his role in the film rather then some white guy so that you don't upset African American's. you think your going to get a lot of African American's at the casting call? it's not fucking likely. it's a racist character and you can clean it up and get a good director and do all the rewrites but it doesn't matter. Your going to upset people no matter what do you.

It may make us white folk feel good to see a native American playing Tonto but your still going to upset Native American's who find that character offensive all together. it's like the drug store Indian.

I think Disney was clearly trying to play it safe with this movie.

I mean... I feel like maybe you just lack a little bit of imagination. He wouldn't even need to be called Tonto, they could totally reinvent him, Hollywood has done far more drastic things in the past with source material. Maybe "Tonto" could be something the racist bad guys call him because they think a Native American is inferior and dumb, which the character could prove wrong. I mean, "hey, somebody's gonna be mad no matter what" is the laziest weakest excuse to not even TRY to make something not be racist. We can do practically ANYTHING in movies in 2013, but for some reason it is just not feasible that we can make a portrayal of a Native American character NOT be racist? Like... what? The character is Native American and The Lone Ranger's partner, that's all you need and there's nothing fundamentally racist about that.

• Like 2

I don't know maybe they should of got a real native actor like Val Kilmer he would of won both sides of the fence.

to be truthful i've lost my train of thought when it comes to this subject, it's getting stupid and i have forgotten my original point. I've had a long day today, and have gotten off subject and forgot my original point, because of all the misdirection and crazyness that has been going on here in my home.

On that note i say good day to you sir.

I like what cat & beard said - I agree to disagree and I'm out of this thread, smart thinking.

or as my grandfather would say you maybe right but I don't give a dam..LOL ohh lord god bless.

It's getting stupid because you don't know what to say anymore? I don't know what's so hard about just saying "Yeah, you have a point."

A buncha words. But I've lost interest too.

Was having a debate about what is the worst Disney movie with some friends the other night and this was the "winner". Even just by scrolling through the previous posts, this started controversy. This movie is a real shit distruber. Worse than John Carter

Sign in to follow this