🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
sillstaw

The Lone Ranger (2013)

https://www.youtube....h?v=s8OLMQINOaA

Dammit how do I embed videos in the comments?

Like this "["media"]"copy and paste youtube url from address bar here"[/"media"]"

Just remove the quotes. Took me a while to figure it out too.

As someone who doesn't plan to see this unless my aunt is offering to pay for the movies this week, is Helena Bonham Carter in this? Because I swear I saw her in the trailer, and this wouldn't be a non-Pirates Depp production without it.

Yes she is, from what I've read she's a one legged brothel owner who has a gun in her fake leg.

by all accounts hbc is the only one who is actually bringing it in a positive way in this film

Adrienne K, who has a blog that examines representations of indigenous peoples, wrote a pretty good review of the problematic aspects of this film, and how it's just not a good film period: http://nativeappropr...nt-have-to.html

She's great, and it's a shame that she was given such grief over her incredibly reasonable objections to this movie and Johnny Depp playing Tonto.

If it makes more than John Carter it will easily make back its production budget. Whether or not a movie is a "bust" is one thing, if it only makes 100 million more than its budget does that constitute a bust? I was just saying there's no way it would come close to not breaking even given Depp's international appeal and how well summer blockbusters do overseas with big name actors.

Also, as long as it makes 3 million more than its budget, Jack The Giant Slayer would be a bigger bust.

So far, it's only making $9 million a day, so unless a whole lotta people see it Saturday, it's only going to get worse from there.

I expect the treatment for this to be on par with John Carter. It will definitely be considered a huge bomb, but it will inexplicably make production costs back because of International Markets. However, we will soon learn that the Marketing budget was huge for this, and ultimately Disney will have to write this as a loss. International Markets may determine profitability, but Domestic markets tell us if there will be a sequel.

She's great, and it's a shame that she was given such grief over her incredibly reasonable objections to this movie and Johnny Depp playing Tonto.

Yeah, that's kinda par for the course when you're a person pointing out that something is problematic.

• Like 1

So far, it's only making $9 million a day, so unless a whole lotta people see it Saturday, it's only going to get worse from there.

I expect the treatment for this to be on par with John Carter. It will definitely be considered a huge bomb, but it will inexplicably make production costs back because of International Markets. However, we will soon learn that the Marketing budget was huge for this, and ultimately Disney will have to write this as a loss. International Markets may determine profitability, but Domestic markets tell us if there will be a sequel.

Disney will be able to balance this out with how well Iron Man 3 did, just like how they balanced out after John Carter using The Avengers.

It's interesting, reading the reviews it seems many critics are saying this movie is incredibly, crazy violent. Like Armie Hammer's brother gets his still-beating-heart ripped out and eaten violent.

It's interesting, reading the reviews it seems many critics are saying this movie is incredibly, crazy violent. Like Armie Hammer's brother gets his still-beating-heart ripped out and eaten violent.

Yeah the reason for that is apparently, William Fichtner's character is a Wendigo, or demon, according to Tonto. And Tonto is portraying a mannequin at the beginning of the movie i.e. Cigar Store Indian, so I am really wondering what Native American representative they had on set to help make the movie be non-offensive, so that person can lose their license like the psychiatrist who helped Charlize Theron train to be crazy for her role in Devil's Advocate.

I'm kind of amazed that my initial post ended up predicting the wrong kind of crazy this movie would be.

Also, the AV Club pointed out that this movie has a lot of similarities to Depp's earlier Western "Dead Man." It blows my mind to think that a Jim Jarmusch film could be recycled into a $200 million-plus summer tentpole movie. Minus, of course, the black-and-white photography, William Blake allusions and, oh yeah, an actual Native American playing the lead Indian.

The impression I got from that story about her phone conversation/interrogation with a Native cast member was that of, "I'm getting paid to do this, so why should some blogger decide to talk about how problematic it is?" I almost got the vibe of a black person defending a minstrel show that he performs in.

Has anybody on this board actually seen this yet? I feel like someone who has seen it should weigh in soon

Has anybody on this board actually seen this yet? I feel like someone who has seen it should weigh in soon

I'm not spending my money on this, and that's coming from a person who will pay to see most anything in a theater.

My Aunt said she really wanted to see it, so I'm praying to God that she just forgets about it and we go see Red 2 instead.

alternatively give the money to me hatch your old posting buddy

• Like 1

I'm not spending my money on this, and that's coming from a person who will pay to see most anything in a theater.

Likewise, and I saw Movie 43 in theaters.

• Like 1

Fuck everything. I saw this, and I liked it. It's unnecessary and long, but so is every other summer blockbuster, so I don't care about that. It's not any more violent than, say, 'Iron Man 3,' and the much-discussed "heart-eating" scene happens off screen. As far as its level of racism and Tonto being a museum piece Indian, it acknowledges to legacy of the character by reminding you of it, then subverts that image and redresses it. It's almost like Tonto reverts to his pigeon English when talking to the Lone Ranger because he feels the Lone Ranger is an incompetent idiot, so the Stupid Fucking White Man* must be talked to like a child. He has no time to discuss things with the people that are murdering his tribe, so he speaks efficiently, not stupidly. At least that's how I saw it. I thought it addressed the topic of racism in as intelligent a way that you can ask in a movie like this. If you think the mere fact that Depp plays a Native American having little (if any) Native American ancestry himself is racist, that's one thing. While I might disagree with you on whether or not that is inherently racist, the film is basically about the racism and genocide enacted upon Native Americans, so I definitely would not describe is as racist itself.

I also don't get critics complaining that this film tries to both satirize a the Western genre and BE a straight-ahead Western at the same time. Western films have been commenting on, subverting, modifying, playing-with, etc. the genre since fucking 'Stagecoach,' so I don't get why this movie is not allowed to do so. I mean, there are INCREDIBLY broad comedic moments in a movie like 'High Plains Drifter,' but in that film, Clint Eastwood rapes and murders people. For real. Sure, that movie is quite a different beast from 'The Lone Ranger,' but I'm just saying the genre has seen greater shifts in tone within the same movie many times before.

*And yes, there are points that reminded me of Jim Jarmusch's 'Dead Man," with Depp playing the spiritual guide to the aforementioned whitey rather than whitey himself. I like that movie too, but for rather different reasons.

i think it is actually a pretty racist depiction of a native american

• Like 3

I got to see this movie this weekend and I have to dare say it, I kinda enjoyed this movie. it was years better then man of steel that was what I was expecting it to be. just a big CGI movie with over the top actors who have no real place in the super man world. IE Russell Crowe and Kevin Costner. what i kinda liked about this movie was Johnny Depp is never letting you down with his entertaining performance. I don't think there is such a thing as a bad Johnny Depp movie. Ok maybe there is one but I've always enjoyed his movies and I am not saying he is the worlds greatest actor but I do enjoy his movies and maybe Tonto was a bit too much like Jack Sparrow character as you can clearly tell he's not at all playing a native American at all. but after thinking about the lone ranger. the character Tonto is a racist character to begin with so it doesn't matter who you get to play him. your going to step on peoples feet no matter what you do.

I am not saying this is a five star movie but I did enjoy it for what it was. I didn't expect to enjoy it based on the trailers, but I did. will I buy it on dvd and watch it again, hell no.

the character Tonto is a racist character to begin with so it doesn't matter who you get to play him. your going to step on peoples feet no matter what you do.

I feel like, how hard could it actually be to have an actual Native American person play a Native American character and write that character to not be a racist stereotype? Hollywood is very good at taking properties and changing things about them to fit whatever their whims and sensibilities are, often drastically so, why can't it take what was a racist character and subvert everything that was racist about it? I think it's just not their prerogative.

• Like 1

Yeah, I see no reason why Tonto *had* to be a racist character. Just put him on equal footing with The Lone Ranger, don't hire a white guy to play him, and don't have him speak pidgin English. I really don't think it's that hard.

• Like 1

The word Tonto is a derogatory word it's self. look at it like this if you call a native American Tonto and odds are your going to get sand in your face, to put it lightly. so think how a native person would see Tonto as a character. Your not going to have a lot of native American's at your casting call. it's like if you had taken that al jolson movie and wanted to hire a African American to play his role in the film rather then some white guy so that you don't upset African American's. you think your going to get a lot of African American's at the casting call? it's not fucking likely. it's a racist character and you can clean it up and get a good director and do all the rewrites but it doesn't matter. Your going to upset people no matter what do you.

It may make us white folk feel good to see a native American playing Tonto but your still going to upset Native American's who find that character offensive all together. it's like the drug store Indian.

I think Disney was clearly trying to play it safe with this movie.

I don't think there is such a thing as a bad Johnny Depp movie. Ok maybe there is one

Pirates of the Caribbean 2, 3, 4, & 5 (in production!)

Dark Shadows

Charlie In The Chocolate Factory

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

fuck it, pretty much everything after 1999.

It may of made us white folk feel good to see a native American playing Tonto but your still going to upset Native American's who find that character offensive all together. it's like the drug store Indian.

This has nothing to do with "us" white people (we're not all white here) feeling good à la that movie The Help. This has everything to do with how ALL people need to stop doing dumb racist shit, even if they think they're somehow fucking subverting it or being ironic or what the fuck ever.

I agree to disagree and I'm out of this thread.

Sign in to follow this