🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
dohaj

Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever (2002)

Surely it is possible to do the most reviewed 0% score of rotten tomatoes. I remember seeing this movie shortly after it came out but I couldn't tell you anything about it.

Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever (2002, 91 minutes)

Dir: "Kaos" (AKA Wych Kaosayananda)

Starring: Antonio Banderas, Lucy Liu

I think all I really need to say is that this film is technically the worst reviewed film on Rotten Tomatoes, like, ever. It has 0% out of 117 reviews. Per the website: "A startlingly inept film, Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever offers overblown, wall-to-wall action without a hint of wit, coherence, style, or originality."

Roger Ebert: "[The film] is an ungainly mess, submerged in mayhem, occasionally surfacing for cliches, overloaded with special effects and explosions, light on continuity, sanity and coherence. There is nothing wrong with the title... that renaming it 'Ballistic' would not have solved. Strange that they would choose such an ungainly title when, in fact, the movie is not about Ecks versus Sever but about Ecks and Sever working together against a common enemy - although Ecks, Sever and the audience take a long time to figure that out."

Fun fact: This movie has a Game Boy Advanced game inspired by it and the game has really good reviews! IGN gave it a 9 out of 10. Who would have thought? It even got its own sequel. 

Second Opinions:

- "I love this movie. I haven't seen it since I was 13. I don't care if others don't like the film but I like it cuz it got action and thriller. Antonio Banderas and Lucy Liu are amazing in this movie. I like the scene where they fight. And that one scene when she was shooting. All I know is that this movie is a classic and I really enjoy watching it again after so many years"

- "This is an easy movie to lambast, but I won't take that route--it rates 3 stars for the simple reason that it accomplishes what it sets out to do: kick-butt action scenes and snappy one-liners.

Banderas and Liu are simply cool. In the movie, they get to be cool with guns. It's not a film that makes you think, or even one that you have to really pay attention to, but it is exactly what it claims to be: an action film that goes ballistic.

Bullets, explosions, hand-to-hand combat, thin plot, lackluster dialogue--the ingredients to 90% of all action movies. This is one for people who like Banderas and Liu. I do, so I enjoy the movie enough to buy it, and give it three stars."

- "I watched this movie back when it first came out and used to have a framed poster of it hanging in my old apartment. I recently re-watched the movie on cable and enjoyed it again! I think I know why this movie got so many bad reviews and it has nothing to do with too simple of a story line. Really? That's the complaint? An action movie with a simplified story line...surely there have never been any of those before! No, I think many people didn't like this because of the casting. You have a male Latin lead with an Asian female lead, and "the white guys" are the bad guys. That's why people didn't like this movie. There were some great action scenes in this film, a great soundtrack, charismatic actors and a story line that didn't get in the way of the action. This was a great film, and they should cast more in a similar manner."

- "No plot. Yes! Although it tries to sound smart, I wasn't paying attention. FBI agent Ecks (Antonio Banderas) teams up with an Intelligence agent named Sever (Lucy Liu) to take down a weapons expert and find his wife and son. That's about it. Tons of bullets fly everywhere, cars fly everywhere and people fly everywhere. This movie is great. "Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever" is genius. That's all I have to say."

- "This one it alright as well."

• Haha 1