🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
CaptainAmazing

What are some classic/otherwise great movies featuring a plague that I should watch?

Was thinking about this for obvious reasons. We've already watched Contagion.

Up on deck are The Seventh Seal, Nosferatu, and maybe some Dawn of the Dead movies.

What are some other ones you'd reccomend?

I’ve never seen it but I think Omega Man is one...

• Like 1

12 Monkeys.

28 Days Later (I haven't seen 28 Weeks Later.)

The recent Planet of The Apes prequels technically count and are decent.

• Like 2

The Crazies was a plague right? It wasn't really focused on a virus/disease as I recall but probably fits on a technicality. 

2 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

I’ve never seen it but I think Omega Man is one...

Omega Man definitely has its charms but I really recommend Last Man On Earth with Vincent Price which is based on the same book. It seems mostly forgotten but I loved it the first time I saw it. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 3:45 PM, CaptainAmazing said:

Up on deck are The Seventh Seal, Nosferatu, and maybe some Dawn of the Dead movies.

Which Nosferatu? If you're going for the plague scenes, I think the Herzog/'79 one is more... striking.

Though Murnau would be keeping in line with Sunrise a few a weeks ago.

Criterion had a 70s sci-fi collection that went away back in February, but No Blade of Grass would fits in a weird way (especially if you factor in the economic apocalypse that seems to be happening). Warning - it's 70's apocalypse sci-fi... there's sexual violence towards women in it.

More recently, It Comes at Night.

And, um, Cabin Fever, if that's your this. if you get to the "I guess" phase. Though I guess you could get the remake with Mnuchin's wife and there therefore somehow make it topical.

Cronenberg's Rabid (though I prefer his other stuff from this era more).

I don't remember The Andromeda Strain beyond I think I channel flipped to the end/end credits about 30 years ago - and that it exists.

It seems like there should be some good Black Death (besides Nosferatu) or TB movies (though the latter always seems to be the backdrop of someone who's dying.  Often in westerns).

ETA: There was also a small movie from the 00's that wasn't a virus, but played off of our fears of a dirty bomb at that time, and it revolved around people having to stay inside their houses so they wouldn't become... toxic.  If I could remember the name of it... But it would feel appropriate for the current self-isolation situation going on.

2nd ETA - quick googling makes me think it's "Right at Your Door".

On 3/21/2020 at 4:44 PM, ol' eddy wrecks said:

Which Nosferatu? If you're going for the plague scenes, I think the Herzog/'79 one is more... striking.

Though Murnau would be keeping in line with Sunrise a few a weeks ago. 

Was thinking of the Murnau one. Haven't seen the Herzog one, but may need to see it instead.