🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays - Week 14 - Phantom of the Paradise

It's an awesome resource - so much interesting stuff there. What's your relationship with 'Phantom of the Paradise'? Superfan, or insider? (apologies if that information is abundantly clear on your site)

Maybe Principal Archivist is from Winnipeg!

• Like 5

Hi Cakebug - (can I call you Cakebug?)

Thanks for the generous words about the site. It's been kind of a labor of love.

To answer your questions - I fell in love with the movie when it came out, I was 12 years old. I loved the music, the look of the film and, especially, the dazzling camerawork and technique. Even then, I recognized that De Palma was an extraordinarily careful and creative visual storyteller. I sought out his prior films (which was not so easy in the pre-VHS days), and the release of every one of his films since then has been an event for me. I started collecting stuff on the film because where I lived (the San Francisco area), unlike in Winnipeg, the film came and went in an instant, and the only way to maintain a connection to it was to haunt cinema stores, comic conventions and the like, and try to find memorabilia to possess. Much, much later, starting around 2005 or 2006, I became an insider of sorts, I guess: I put up my website, and had a hand in producing Phantompalooza II, in Winnipeg, which the entire cast attended, and co-produced and co-directed most of the supplemental features on the Scream Factory disc, and also helped with aspects of the Opening disk (France) and Arrow's (UK). Much of the cast and crew and their families have become friends in the years since then, some closer than others, and some very close. Bill Finley's widow (Susan, who by the way is the person you see wearing the Phantom's helmet at the end of the movie...because she could be trusted not to run off with it before the next take) asked me to give a eulogy at his memorial service, which was one of the more nerve-wracking (the pews were filled with many of the icons of my childhood) and moving experiences I've had....

A guy named Roger Leatherwood wrote a piece for Bright Lights Film Journal that gives a fair idea of how the collecting and the site got underway, if you're interested in that: http://brightlightsfilm.com/the-phantom-archivist-and-the-phantom-archives-the-amateur-online-archive-of-brian-de-palmas-phantom-of-the-paradise-1974

How did I find out you were discussing it in the forum? Someone in an earlier post in this thread had linked to my site and, like many webmasters, I track incoming links, so I can see what people are saying about the site, and perhaps connect with likeminded folks. Fortunately, with respect to Phantom, there seem to be more of them every day.

• Like 10

Got home from my trip safe and sound. Don't think I'm going to have time to weigh in on Phantom of the Paradise in depth as I haven't seen it in years, but I remember it being totally fucked up in the best possible way.

Also, I have pick something don't I...

• Like 7

Hi Cakebug - (can I call you Cakebug?)

Thanks for the generous words about the site. It's been kind of a labor of love.

To answer your questions - I fell in love with the movie when it came out, I was 12 years old. I loved the music, the look of the film and, especially, the dazzling camerawork and technique. Even then, I recognized that De Palma was an extraordinarily careful and creative visual storyteller. I sought out his prior films (which was not so easy in the pre-VHS days), and the release of every one of his films since then has been an event for me. I started collecting stuff on the film because where I lived (the San Francisco area), unlike in Winnipeg, the film came and went in an instant, and the only way to maintain a connection to it was to haunt cinema stores, comic conventions and the like, and try to find memorabilia to possess. Much, much later, starting around 2005 or 2006, I became an insider of sorts, I guess: I put up my website, and had a hand in producing Phantompalooza II, in Winnipeg, which the entire cast attended, and co-produced and co-directed most of the supplemental features on the Scream Factory disc, and also helped with aspects of the Opening disk (France) and Arrow's (UK). Much of the cast and crew and their families have become friends in the years since then, some closer than others, and some very close. Bill Finley's widow (Susan, who by the way is the person you see wearing the Phantom's helmet at the end of the movie...because she could be trusted not to run off with it before the next take) asked me to give a eulogy at his memorial service, which was one of the more nerve-wracking (the pews were filled with many of the icons of my childhood) and moving experiences I've had....

A guy named Roger Leatherwood wrote a piece for Bright Lights Film Journal that gives a fair idea of how the collecting and the site got underway, if you're interested in that: http://brightlightsf...e-paradise-1974

How did I find out you were discussing it in the forum? Someone in an earlier post in this thread had linked to my site and, like many webmasters, I track incoming links, so I can see what people are saying about the site, and perhaps connect with likeminded folks. Fortunately, with respect to Phantom, there seem to be more of them every day.

Very cool! Thank you for sharing!

• Like 4

Well, I think this is a first in Musical Mondays history, to get a post from a eulogist at the film's lead character's funeral! Wow! Definitely the best insider perspective we've had yet, and, I'd suggest, way more interesting than anything Blake J Harris comes up with.

Hopefully we haven't been too mean about this movie that you love - I think most of us had either heard of this but few had seen it, so it was a real surprise when we finally got to it. The tone of the movie is so over the top and committed that it definitely bears out repeat viewings and cult status, and as I've said, I'll take 'Phantom' over 'Tommy' or 'Rocky Horror' anyday.

I'm really glad that our serendipitous linking to your excellent archive led us to this excellent piece of insider information!

• Like 5

Maybe a question for Principal Archivist (btw, are you a principal IRL?) - the Phantom has a bird-like mask, but is it supposed to be a swan, specifically?

Anyway, interesting pick for MM, Eternal. Looking forward to tomorrow to find out EvRobert's MM pick.

• Like 6

A swan? No... At least from Finley's perspective: "I wanted it to be somewhere between a sort of bird of prey and a little bit of an alien, the notion of a human being transforming into something totally different."

And no, I'm not a principal IRL. :-)

• Like 7

^ This is fascinating and I wish Principal Archivist had found us on Monday!

• Like 4

I would also like to thank Eternal Sammich for introducing us to this fine piece of cinema and to Principal Archivist for all the cool information!

The pressure's on EvRobert!!!!

• Like 6

The pressure's on EvRobert!!!!

Oh it's going to be a different one alright...it may have actually led to the death of the director.

• Like 5

A little off topic, but did you guys see/hear that Paul Williams is in the movie Baby Driver?

• Like 6

I'm going to watch Baby Driver tomorrow! Very excited about the Paul Williams role.

ETA: I was reading up on Paul Williams a few days ago and found this tidbit regarding the Bond film, Diamonds are Forever.

Jazz musician Putter Smith was invited by Harry Saltzman to play Mr. Kidd, after a Thelonious Monk Band show. Musician Paul Williams was originally cast as Mr. Wint. When he couldn't agree with the producers on compensation, Bruce Glover replaced him. Glover said he was surprised at being chosen, because at first producers said he was too normal and that they wanted a deformed, Peter Lorre-like actor.

Can you imagine what Mr Kidd and Mr Wint would've been like with Paul Williams?

• Like 5

I'm going to watch Baby Driver tomorrow! Very excited about the Paul Williams role.

ETA: I was reading up on Paul Williams a few days ago and found this tidbit regarding the Bond film, Diamonds are Forever.

Can you imagine what Mr Kidd and Mr Wint would've been like with Paul Williams?

That's weird. I was on the cusp of making a Mr. Kidd and Mr. Wint joke last night, but didn't...What a strange coincidence.

• Like 1

That's weird. I was on the cusp of making a Mr. Kidd and Mr. Wint joke last night, but didn't...What a strange coincidence.

In this thread? What was the joke?

• Like 3

I gotta say, Cam, I'm totally thrown off every time I see your signature without quotations from the two most recent films...

Ninja Terminator I get, but I thought you would have had something for Phantom! I'm not sure you'll find much ludicrous to quote from the Fantasticks, either, but I could be wrong...

• Like 2

In this thread? What was the joke?

LOL- No, not this thread. I was going to tease CakeBug and EvRoberts for their little...connection yesterday, but I really wasn't happy with the way it was coming out. I was afraid it might come off as homophobic, and frankly, it wasn't worth offending anyone over - even if unintentional.

I gotta say, Cam, I'm totally thrown off every time I see your signature without quotations from the two most recent films...

Ninja Terminator I get, but I thought you would have had something for Phantom! I'm not sure you'll find much ludicrous to quote from the Fantasticks, either, but I could be wrong...

Ha! To be honest, it bugs me too. I think I had a quote for Phantom, but was too lazy to write it down. I have no idea what it was going to be now. I just realized that I hadn't pulled one on, like, Thursday, and I felt that it was too late.

Ninja Terminator can bite my ass. :)

• Like 4

FWIW, Mr Wint and Mr Kidd are my favorite Bond villains/henchmen.

• Like 3

Mine too! It was definitely meant to be complimentary. A teasing homage, if you will.

• Like 3

I picture you guys as more Jaws and pigtail girl (because Jaws is my favorite henchman).

• Like 3

I picture you guys as more Jaws and pigtail girl (because Jaws is my favorite henchman).

My mind immediately went to Spielberg's Jaws and one of his swimming snacks. And I wondered which I was...

• Like 4

My mind immediately went to Spielberg's Jaws and one of his swimming snacks. And I wondered which I was...

Omg mine did too

• Like 5

I'm finally getting to see Jaws on the big screen this weekend, so I'll let you know after.

• Like 5

I'm finally getting to see Jaws on the big screen this weekend, so I'll let you know after.

Oh I'm so jealous! I'd love to see Jaws on the big screen

• Like 4

Oh I'm so jealous! I'd love to see Jaws on the big screen

I'm pretty excited, but you know who I'm jealous of? These folks in Austin who get to watch it on the water.

hlk_jaws-2016_68_800_533_81_s.jpg

• Like 5