124 replies to this topic

#41 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:42 PM

View PostThe_Triple_Lindy, on 11 September 2017 - 05:34 PM, said:

This was the most troubling part of the movie for me! All these women losing their jobs, losing their homes, having to leave town and go ... where, exactly? And how are they going to explain the giant gap in their employment histories on their job applications?

Chicken farmer?

View PostCameron H., on 11 September 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

Honestly, the thought of a "soft candy Christmas" turns my stomach...

I can think of one person who would love a Christmas with soft candies (like licorice allsorts).

#42 EvRobert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:43 PM

View Posttomspanks, on 11 September 2017 - 05:35 PM, said:

You convinced me I need to watch 9 to 5. And I had no idea there was a musical version of it.

Re: "I Will Always Love You," I had no idea it was a song in TBLWHIT and when she started singing it in the movie, it was really cool. But today, I kept humming Whitney's version. Dolly's version was so sweet and intimate, but I prefer Whitney's powerful r&b version, especially the part where there's a 4 count (?) silence with a single bass drum kick at the end and then she belts out "And I......"

Blasphemy. I like Whitney's version, but she doesn't hold a candle to Dolly. Whitney wouldn't even know about the song if Costner (if I recall correctly) didn't suggest it.

View PostSlidePocket, on 11 September 2017 - 05:39 PM, said:

Don't forget to mention the real star of this film, Charles Durning, who got an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor!

Durning for a supporting actor nod for this? It was ONE scene. Now granted his Sidestep song is pretty great and if I was auditioning that would be the part I'd want, but still...

#43 The_Triple_Lindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationThornton Melon School of Business, Grand Lakes U

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:47 PM

View PostEvRobert, on 11 September 2017 - 05:43 PM, said:

Durning for a supporting actor nod for this? It was ONE scene. Now granted his Sidestep song is pretty great and if I was auditioning that would be the part I'd want, but still...

But dude ... he fucking murdered that scene.

Plus, he's in Thorpe's giant painting during "the corset and shoulder pad scene." So ... two-ish scenes, really.

#44 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:47 PM

View Posttomspanks, on 11 September 2017 - 05:42 PM, said:

I can think of one person who would love a Christmas with soft candies (like licorice allsorts).

Ugh! Don't get him started. If I have to sit here and listen to Cam B talk about and post pictures of licorice again, I'm going to fucking puke. "Look at me! I live in Japan, I'm super nice, and I love candy that tastes like Satan's butthole...."
Tom: Mark, I loved those licks you were doing.
Miami Connection (1988)

Miss Mona: You know, it's always a business doing pleasure with you, Charlie!
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982)

#45 SlidePocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:48 PM

Here is Charles Durning being up for the Oscar, losing to Louis Gossett Jr. for "An Officer and a Gentleman".

#46 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:52 PM

View PostSlidePocket, on 11 September 2017 - 05:48 PM, said:

Here is Charles Durning being up for the Oscar, losing to Louis Gossett Jr. for "An Officer and a Gentleman".

My tablet was taking awhile to load and froze at "losing to Louis Gossett Jr for" and my mind wanted to fill in "Iron Eagle?!?"

ETA: Do you want to be added to the rotation, Slide? We'd be glad to have you :)
Miami Connection (1988)

#47 EvRobert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:55 PM

View PostSlidePocket, on 11 September 2017 - 05:48 PM, said:

First of all Susan Sarandon hasn't aged a day

Second of all, Charles Durning hasn't aged a day

third that "drag race" joke...ugh...

View PostThe_Triple_Lindy, on 11 September 2017 - 05:47 PM, said:

But dude ... he fucking murdered that scene.

Plus, he's in Thorpe's giant painting during "the corset and shoulder pad scene." So ... two-ish scenes, really.

yeah he's great in that scene and that is the role I'd want for sure. It's the Judi Dench in Shakespeare In Love thing...great actor, great role, do you reward them for little screen time?

#48 EvRobert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:58 PM

View PostCameron H., on 11 September 2017 - 05:47 PM, said:

Ugh! Don't get him started. If I have to sit here and listen to Cam B talk about and post pictures of licorice again, I'm going to fucking puke. "Look at me! I live in Japan, I'm super nice, and I love candy that tàstes like Satan's butthole...."

Anise is such a weird flavor. I hate it in licorce, but like I like ouzo and sambuca and there is this cookie my dad and i make called peppernuts, which uses anise, that i could eat every day for the rest of my life.

#49 EvRobert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:59 PM

View PostCameron H., on 11 September 2017 - 05:52 PM, said:

My tablet was taking awhile to load and froze at "losing to Louis Gossett Jr for" and my mind wanted to fill in "Iron Eagle?!?"

Growing up, I ONLY knew Louis Gosset Jr from Iron Eagle

Also I swear I'm not trying to cheat my way to 200 posts here...but yet that's not stopping me from responding individually

#50 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:01 PM

View PostEvRobert, on 11 September 2017 - 05:43 PM, said:

Blasphemy. I like Whitney's version, but she doesn't hold a candle to Dolly. Whitney wouldn't even know about the song if Costner (if I recall correctly) didn't suggest it.

Here in the Northeast, I grew up listening to Whitney and wasn't exposed to artists like Dolly Parton very much. I blame the evil liberal media, of course. Seriously, I thought Jolene was a White Stripes song! At least this movie has inspired me to look into Dolly Parton's discography.

#51 EvRobert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:07 PM

View Posttomspanks, on 11 September 2017 - 06:01 PM, said:

Here in the Northeast, I grew up listening to Whitney and wasn't exposed to artists like Dolly Parton very much. I blame the evil liberal media, of course. Seriously, I thought Jolene was a White Stripes song! At least this movie has inspired me to look into Dolly Parton's discography.

I can understand that. Dolly Parton is a god damn national treasure. Read into her history with Porter Wagnor. It's beautiful and tragic and I'm surpised hasn't been turned into a musical or play or movie yet.

#52 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:13 PM

View PostEvRobert, on 11 September 2017 - 06:07 PM, said:

I can understand that. Dolly Parton is a god damn national treasure. Read into her history with Porter Wagnor. It's beautiful and tragic and I'm surpised hasn't been turned into a musical or play or movie yet.

It was a Drunk History segment if that counts.

I both love and hate "Jolene." You're too good for him, Dolly!
Miami Connection (1988)

#53 EvRobert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:15 PM

View PostCameron H., on 11 September 2017 - 06:13 PM, said:

It was a Drunk History segment if that counts.

I both love and hate "Jolene." You're to good for him, Dolly!

And a very good segment on DH but I would love to see a really well done, serious version of their story

#54 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:24 PM

View PostEvRobert, on 11 September 2017 - 06:07 PM, said:

Oh, I will.

SUBSCRIBE TO DOLLY PARTON FACTS

#55 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:46 PM

View Posttomspanks, on 11 September 2017 - 06:01 PM, said:

You could have thought Jolene was a Miley Cyrus song. So, you could be doing worse. I think her version is prettygood but it's not Dolly by a country mile and The White Stripes at least totally changed it up.

#56 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:47 PM

View PostCameron H., on 11 September 2017 - 05:47 PM, said:

Ugh! Don't get him started. If I have to sit here and listen to Cam B talk about and post pictures of licorice again, I'm going to fucking puke. "Look at me! I live in Japan, I'm super nice, and I love candy that tastes like Satan's butthole...."

You might be taking things a bit far. Satan's butthole isn't that bad.

#57 EvRobert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:52 PM

View Postgrudlian., on 11 September 2017 - 06:46 PM, said:

You could have thought Jolene was a Miley Cyrus song. So, you could be doing worse. I think her version is prettygood but it's not Dolly by a country mile and The White Stripes at least totally changed it up.

I dig Miley's version a lot. I don't think I've heard the White Stripes version

#58 The_Triple_Lindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationThornton Melon School of Business, Grand Lakes U

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:10 PM

I don't know why this sprung to mind, but whenever the Time/Life "Best of Johnny Carson" infomercial comes on, I always watch until I see this moment:

Goddamn, you gotta love Dolly. Legend, ally, sweetie.

Anyone here ever been to Dollywood?

#59 PollyDarton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:27 PM

View Posttomspanks, on 11 September 2017 - 05:35 PM, said:

You convinced me I need to watch 9 to 5. And I had no idea there was a musical version of it.

Re: "I Will Always Love You," I had no idea it was a song in TBLWHIT and when she started singing it in the movie, it was really cool. But today, I kept humming Whitney's version. Dolly's version was so sweet and intimate, but I prefer Whitney's powerful r&b version, especially the part where there's a 4 count (?) silence with a single bass drum kick at the end and then she belts out "And I......"

There isn't a film version of 9 to 5 the musical, but I'm sure it's going to happen soon.

Re: Whitney - Any Whitney fans need to get a free month of Showtime and watch "Whitney: Can I be me." It's a DEVASTATING documentary about her life and of course "I Will Always Love You" is quite featured. If anyone watches it and wants to discuss I AM GAME.

#60 PollyDarton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:36 PM

View PostThe_Triple_Lindy, on 11 September 2017 - 07:10 PM, said:

I don't know why this sprung to mind, but whenever the Time/Life "Best of Johnny Carson" infomercial comes on, I always watch until I see this moment:

This is some SHITTY quality video but I always think of this too... and she's live from Dollywood!