Jump to content
Welcome to the new Earwolf Forums! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ol' eddy wrecks

The "I Voted" Thread

Recommended Posts

Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

And in the real election

Share this post


Link to post

I'm a Democrat, have worked a number of campaigns for candidates in the past.  For us, yesterday was great!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I would have liked control of the Senate also but that was really reaching.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Yea for sure. Flipping the Senate back will take a few more elections to happen, so that one's a more patient and long-term form of activism.  Some of our big, most attention-grabbing races lost (or are still being contested), but looking past those it was a pretty great run yesterday. Fired me up for sure!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Yea for sure. Flipping the Senate back will take a few more elections to happen, so that one's a more patient and long-term form of activism.  Some of our big, most attention-grabbing races lost (or are still being contested), but looking past those it was a pretty great run yesterday. Fired me up for sure!  

I was feeling good...until Trump fired Sessions and replaced him with an AG who is quoted as saying he'd limit Mueller's budget enough to make him ineffective.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Yea this new AG is problems.  We'll see what happens: I think Schiff in charge of Intelligence Committee is a big help. 

At least we have the House to act as a check now in the government.  I've been a bit cynical since Trump got to appoint terrible Supreme Court justices, feeling like nothing matters anymore. I feel a bit of hope coming back...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Yea this new AG is problems.  We'll see what happens: I think Schiff in charge of Intelligence Committee is a big help. 

At least we have the House to act as a check now in the government.  I've been a bit cynical since Trump got to appoint terrible Supreme Court justices, feeling like nothing matters anymore. I feel a bit of hope coming back...

Yeah. It's still a bit too early to say what will happen now that Sessions is gone but it's not, at best, a stumbling block. I just didn't expect it today but maybe I'm just naive.

Share this post


Link to post

In Texas we certainly had a lot of sadness with Beto losing, but on a grassroots level he inspired so many people and Texas has become more purple than it's been in decades and we saw a lot of success in the house. Things are changing, even if it's taking a little more time than we all had hoped.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, taylorannephoto said:

In Texas we certainly had a lot of sadness with Beto losing, but on a grassroots level he inspired so many people and Texas has become more purple than it's been in decades and we saw a lot of success in the house. Things are changing, even if it's taking a little more time than we all had hoped.

Beto's coattails had a lot of impact. I don't think Democrats flip those two House seats (almost three) without him driving turnout. They gained ground in the state legislature too.

But the biggest thing was that because of him there is now an actual electoral infrastructure for Democrats. They aren't going to be non-competitive like before.

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Yea this new AG is problems.  We'll see what happens: I think Schiff in charge of Intelligence Committee is a big help. 

At least we have the House to act as a check now in the government.  I've been a bit cynical since Trump got to appoint terrible Supreme Court justices, feeling like nothing matters anymore. I feel a bit of hope coming back...

Amen to that. If Trump really wanted to obstruct justice he probably should have done it before there was a Democratic House to make his life hell.

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, sycasey 2.0 said:

Amen to that. If Trump really wanted to obstruct justice he probably should have done it before there was a Democratic House to make his life hell.

The democrats aren't in power yet though which is why he's doing it now instead of in January.

He didn't need to openly obstruct justice (well, more so in this case) because a republican controlled congress wasn't going to do anything. Why bother if you believe you're untouchable. Now he knows he isn't.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, grudlian. said:

The democrats aren't in power yet though which is why he's doing it now instead of in January.

Sure, but the Dem Congress can just rev up their own investigations once they take power.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, sycasey 2.0 said:

Sure, but the Dem Congress can just rev up their own investigations once they take power.

Yeah. I'll be honest I don't know enough about who can authorize these things. Maybe i'm just being overly pessimistic but good knows the last two years have only helped to remove any optimism I might have had. 

Share this post


Link to post

Both sides of Congress do have investigatory powers.  Obviously, the Senate won't do anything about Trump or any of this.  But the House now, it might.  At the very least, we can bring his crimes to light. Impeachment begins in the House too.

Also want to note-- Tuesday was especially great for different state legislatures, governorships, etc. We need federal level to fight Trump, but it's on those other statte and local levels where we can counter the GOP.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Both sides of Congress do have investigatory powers.  Obviously, the Senate won't do anything about Trump or any of this.  But the House now, it might.  At the very least, we can bring his crimes to light. Impeachment begins in the House too.

Also want to note-- Tuesday was especially great for different state legislatures, governorships, etc. We need federal level to fight Trump, but it's on those other statte and local levels where we can counter the GOP.

Tony Evers's defeat of Scott Walker in WI was huge! WI doesn't particularly like 3-term governors, but Dems have a real problem finding candidates with any form of charisma. I really wasn't expecting Evers to win, so that was a nice surprise. 

Also, hooray for Amendment 4 in Florida (the rest though...)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/9/2018 at 6:19 PM, WatchOutForSnakes said:

Tony Evers's defeat of Scott Walker in WI was huge! WI doesn't particularly like 3-term governors, but Dems have a real problem finding candidates with any form of charisma. I really wasn't expecting Evers to win, so that was a nice surprise. 

Also, hooray for Amendment 4 in Florida (the rest though...)

Another message board I post on that's a lot more political than this one has someone from Wisconsin, so I've been hearing him complain about Walker for the past 8+ years.  His hatred ran deep (and it also sounded like him and Reince Priebus either made Wisconsin ground zero or one of the most extreme cases of gerrymandering from the past census/decade).  On that last part, throw in we have a new census coming up in two years (and thus new redistricting), that's a big deal.  The structural problems in the math in the representative system is a big issue in my mind.  This in turn, well, at least Florida is getting a recount.  I don't know if I should get my hopes up on that or get prepared to get my hopes stomped on that one again.

At least the number of voter enfranchisement laws and a few anti-gerrymandering (i.e. redistricting by non-partisan commission) bills passed in a number of purple states (more than I was aware of when I heard someone start to list them off).

That said, I should probably go back to refrain talking politics.  I frequent a small corner of the internet that has a long streak of despair in it and I'd probably just start parroting points and topics that other people there say (e.g. Yay! Scott Walker is gone.... and now Wisconsin state legislators are working to gut the amount of power the governorship has before the Democrat can take office, like North Carolina).  And that's not what I came to these forums for.

At least Walker is gone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ol' eddy wrecks said:

Another message board I post on that's a lot more political than this one has someone from Wisconsin, so I've been hearing him complain about Walker for the past 8+ years.  His hatred ran deep (and it also sounded like him and Reince Priebus either made Wisconsin ground zero or one of the most extreme cases of gerrymandering from the past census/decade).  On that last part, throw in we have a new census coming up in two years (and thus new redistricting), that's a big deal.  The structural problems in the math in the representative system is a big issue in my mind.  This in turn, well, at least Florida is getting a recount.  I don't know if I should get my hopes up on that or get prepared to get my hopes stomped on that one again.

At least the number of voter enfranchisement laws and a few anti-gerrymandering (i.e. redistricting by non-partisan commission) bills passed in a number of purple states (more than I was aware of when I heard someone start to list them off).

That said, I should probably go back to refrain talking politics.  I frequent a small corner of the internet that has a long streak of despair in it and I'd probably just start parroting points and topics that other people there say (e.g. Yay! Scott Walker is gone.... and now Wisconsin state legislators are working to gut the amount of power the governorship has before the Democrat can take office, like North Carolina).  And that's not what I came to these forums for.

At least Walker is gone.

Agree 100% on all of this. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×