🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Damme it ALL

R.I.P.D. (2013)

I realize that this movie doesn't come out for a couple of months but it should be on your upcoming watchlist. It looks like Men-in-Black, True Grit and the Matrix in a crappy three way. The trailer makes no sense and Jeff Bridges looks like Colonel Sanders and talks like a modern day Yosemite Sam. I watched the trailer and thought "This is going to suck so hard", yet I will go opening night to witness this train wreck. It also has Ryan Reynolds, who is terrible. Just watch the trailer and try to say you don't want to see this pile of garbage.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm amazed that Bridges went with THAT voice for his character. I think he is now just using his Oscar as a paperweight for all of the money he is making taking these roles.

• Like 1

Oddly, the actor originally cast in Jeff Bridges' role was Zach Galifianakis. I'm not saying it would've been a better movie if he had stayed in the role, but I think it would've lessened the "Men in Black" comparisons a bit if Ryan Reynolds' partner was around his age bracket. (Incidentally, this is Bridges' first acting role since "True Grit," or at least the first one anybody's seen. No wonder everybody is comparing his accent to Rooster Cogburn.)

The only reason I watched the trailer was because somebody said it almost immediately became his #1 bet for flop of the summer. I can't say I disagree.

I don't know, I think there are a lot of strong contenders for biggest flop/disappointment.

The Great Gatsby

RIPD

The Internship

The Lone Ranger

After Earth

World War Z

300: Rise of an Empire

and possibly the Wolverine all look ripe for being huge letdowns.

I don't know, I think there are a lot of strong contenders for biggest flop/disappointment.

The Great Gatsby

RIPD

The Internship

The Lone Ranger

After Earth

World War Z

300: Rise of an Empire

and possibly the Wolverine all look ripe for being huge letdowns.

In terms of financial failures, I'd bet on "RIPD," "The Internship" (because I can't honestly remember the last time anybody said, "Oh boy, a new Vince Vaughn movie!"), "After Earth" (although they are being smart and keeping M. Night Shyamalan's name quiet in the ads) and possibly "The Lone Ranger" (because seriously, it's a $200 million Western). I'm also quite surprised that "300: Rise of an Empire" is actually coming out this year, considering I hadn't heard anything about it for a while. And I can see "World War Z" being a flop; the horror stories about its long road to completion almost guarantee it won't be a good movie.

I'm pulling for "The Great Gatsby," because I like Baz Luhrmann (although "Australia" was disappointing) and Carey Mulligan. But I doubt it will appeal to the coveted youth demographics, since in high school I heard classmates saying they hated the book because they had to read it for school. Thankfully, I was never in an English class that was forced to read it (although one of my teachers did force me to read "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens"—in 2008), so if and when I do read it, it'll be for fun rather than work.

As for "The Wolverine," it's possible, but even as somebody who's baffled by how practically every major superhero movie makes hundreds of millions of dollars (considering they're all pretty much the same thing), I doubt that it's going to be a major money-loser. I think it'd have to be roughly as disappointing as the last Wolverine movie to bomb.

In terms of financial failures, I'd bet on "RIPD," "The Internship" (because I can't honestly remember the last time anybody said, "Oh boy, a new Vince Vaughn movie!"), "After Earth" (although they are being smart and keeping M. Night Shyamalan's name quiet in the ads) and possibly "The Lone Ranger" (because seriously, it's a $200 million Western). I'm also quite surprised that "300: Rise of an Empire" is actually coming out this year, considering I hadn't heard anything about it for a while. And I can see "World War Z" being a flop; the horror stories about its long road to completion almost guarantee it won't be a good movie.

I'm pulling for "The Great Gatsby," because I like Baz Luhrmann (although "Australia" was disappointing) and Carey Mulligan. But I doubt it will appeal to the coveted youth demographics, since in high school I heard classmates saying they hated the book because they had to read it for school. Thankfully, I was never in an English class that was forced to read it (although one of my teachers did force me to read "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens"—in 2008), so if and when I do read it, it'll be for fun rather than work.

As for "The Wolverine," it's possible, but even as somebody who's baffled by how practically every major superhero movie makes hundreds of millions of dollars (considering they're all pretty much the same thing), I doubt that it's going to be a major money-loser. I think it'd have to be roughly as disappointing as the last Wolverine movie to bomb.

Wolverine will make money because fanboys want to see their hero being all badass on IMAX screens. Those others look depressing. I haven't heard of a movie that I'm really raring to go see this summer. Even Ironman 3 just leaves like, "meh, if its a long weekend, and I have nothing to do". Like there is LITERALLY nothing that is coming out this summer that makes me want to open my wallet. It's the same shit -- superheroes, zombies, and aliens. Screenwriters: is there nothing else to write about besides this? Executives: are there no other intellectual properties to buy? Is it that hard to come up with an original idea?

I'm seeing Iron Man 3 because it looks good to me and I'll be seeing others I mentioned, I just don't have high hopes for them like I had for the Avengers or Dark Knight Rises. I hated the Great Gatsby a lot since I had to read it a ton being an English major. Plus Baz Luhrmann seems to be making this Moulin Rouge in the 20s, I mean really in the first trailer it shows people having a party in a moving car and the party is so excessive.

The Intership is just the same schtick that Vaughn and Wilson have done countless times in better movies. The 300 sequel seems rushed because of how quiet the publicity for it has been, we heard about it after the original came out but then nothing for years, now it's coming out made by different people.

After Earth is being smart by not mentioning M. Night, but Will Smith I feel has lost some of his luster as a star with Hancock failing and Seven Pounds sucking out loud. Plus with recent news stories showing out egotistical he is, like turning down Django Unchained because he felt his character wasn't big enough, he may be turning some people off. That and his son is a terrbile actor.

Lone Ranger like you said is a $200 million western that is making Tonto seem like the focal point of the movie only to appease Johny Depp. World War Z is already getting backlash for being more of a prequel to the book than anything else, and more focused on action rather than a study of the human condition after harrowing ordeals. Plus the zombie animation in the movie is terrible to me, they look like water almost with how they move and pile up on each other.

I hated the Great Gatsby a lot since I had to read it a ton being an English major. Plus Baz Luhrmann seems to be making this Moulin Rouge in the 20s, I mean really in the first trailer it shows people having a party in a moving car and the party is so excessive.

After Earth is being smart by not mentioning M. Night, but Will Smith I feel has lost some of his luster as a star with Hancock failing and Seven Pounds sucking out loud. Plus with recent news stories showing out egotistical he is, like turning down Django Unchained because he felt his character wasn't big enough, he may be turning some people off. That and his son is a terrbile actor.

Lone Ranger like you said is a $200 million western that is making Tonto seem like the focal point of the movie only to appease Johny Depp.

The thing about Gatsby is that I think it's focus seems to be more on atmosphere, which is why a lot of my friends want to go see it. I feel like it's a vintage (read: Hipster) movie if anything. But seeing as it was supposed to be released last year at Christmans (Which dashed my hopes for a Gatsby-Les Mis faceoff) and is a classic American Period piece told in 3-D, I would believe it if you put it in the category of a movie like Rob Marshall's Nine (Big Ensemble that misses both breaking even and the Academy Awards)

After Earth is confounding me with the idea that we are still allowing Jaden Smith to make movies. Say what you will about the Karate Kid remake, but this may be a career-ender (Because realize, with the exception of the Sixth Sense, M. Night does not have a good track record with children)

The Lone Ranger makes me furious just because when I heard about it, I thought "Oh, Johnny Depp will be the Lone Ranger" Why would he even TAKE the role of Tonto? This is Johnny Depp playing a Native American Spirit Warrior in a Disney Film. Did they even say that out loud.

Will Smith I feel has lost some of his luster as a star with Hancock failing and Seven Pounds sucking out loud. Plus with recent news stories showing out egotistical he is, like turning down Django Unchained because he felt his character wasn't big enough, he may be turning some people off.

I was turned off by the news surrounding his trailer on the set of "Men in Black 3." Somehow, reading about a two-story, 53-foot long trailer not a mile away from his luxury apartment dissipated a lot of his approachable, everyman charm.

World War Z is already getting backlash for being more of a prequel to the book than anything else, and more focused on action rather than a study of the human condition after harrowing ordeals.

Personally, I think a less action-oriented, more "human-condition"-based movie would please most people who read the book, and would annoy about 95% of everyone else. (Just ask the people who saw "The American" expecting it to be an action movie.) The filmmakers are hedging their bets and hoping more people would appreciate a less-faithful version with more action. Besides, people who want to watch the story of survivors trying to adjust to the apocalypse always have "The Walking Dead."

The Lone Ranger makes me furious just because when I heard about it, I thought "Oh, Johnny Depp will be the Lone Ranger" Why would he even TAKE the role of Tonto? This is Johnny Depp playing a Native American Spirit Warrior in a Disney Film. Did they even say that out loud.

Supposedly, Johnny Depp is part Native American. Emphasis on "part" and "supposedly." (And now I'm picturing Dave from "Happy Endings" playing Tonto. "I'm 1/16 Navajo!")

Hey at least there aren't anymore werewolves in The Lone Ranger as was the original plan.

Hey at least there aren't anymore werewolves in The Lone Ranger as was the original plan.

Which is massively disappointing to me. At least then, it sounded like it could be a gloriously insane disaster rather than just another Western.

What's more insane is that those wolves apparently cost $50 million to make and Disney didn't like the idea of a quarter billion dollar western.

RIPD doesn't even look like it would be a fun bad... just bad.

Pacific Rim also has a strong possibility of being a bad movie contender.

RIPD doesn't even look like it would be a fun bad... just bad.

Pacific Rim also has a strong possibility of being a bad movie contender.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IR3Kr9iUyo

Sure it will have hammy lines, but that's expected of a Del Toro film. I think Pacific Rim or Elysium will be the dark horse surprise for the summer.

All of these terrible movies coming out could make the Summer Movie League more interesting this year (should that happen.)

I will watch any and all of these crap-fests, probably not in theaters though.

Sure it will have hammy lines, but that's expected of a Del Toro film. I think Pacific Rim or Elysium will be the dark horse surprise for the summer.

The entire ordeal looks totes ridic... which is sad because I like Charlie Day. But giant robots boxing low-grade Godzillas in the middle of a crowded city, using what appears to be a 1900s steam powered ocean liner as a baseball bat.. sounds great for an anime, less so for a live action Michael Bay-esque affair.

The entire ordeal looks totes ridic... which is sad because I like Charlie Day. But giant robots boxing low-grade Godzillas in the middle of a crowded city, using what appears to be a 1900s steam powered ocean liner as a baseball bat.. sounds great for an anime, less so for a live action Michael Bay-esque affair.

I would think that from first looking at it, but from the looks of it, it appears to be less chaotic and more focused on the human aspect of the whole thing, especially with how the two pilots link their minds to use the robots.

Not screened for critics...

That review makes this sound like a HTDGM must.

I like this one too:

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/movies/dead_on_arrival_CKfuMyyEw7dU6wzfgTlv0J?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Movies

"Every movie coming out this year but “R.I.P.D.” should pause for a big sigh of relief: The possibility of any of them being called the worst cinematic effort of 2013 has, as of today, just about disappeared. As for “R.I.P.D.,” I’ve got some bad news for you..."

It's not even 3 o'clock on the West Coast and already Variety has called it the latest Hollywood bomb.

Astonishingly, Ryan sz's predictions from earlier in this thread have been 4 for 6 so far. I'm surprised that "The Great Gatsby" appears to have done okay for itself; I'd heard pretty much nothing about its box-office business, but Wikipedia says it's made $142 mil domestically and over $300 mil worldwide. As for "World War Z," I don't think anyone saw that one coming. We'll need to see how "The Wolverine" does next weekend, but otherwise Ryan seems to have gotten a decent return on his predictions.

ETA: The only prediction he's made that doesn't count is the "300" sequel, which has been delayed until March. This is the first I'd even heard about that; apparently, Warner Brothers' marketing strategy for the movie is to release it as quietly as possible.

See, what you just described is what would make me say "I'm sold!" Maybe the kid in me just never died, but I just eat that shit up. I think the Michael Bay comparisons are unfair though, just because he directed the Transformers movies doesn't mean he invented big robots.

• Like 3

As for "World War Z," I don't think anyone saw that one coming.

I don't think it was so surprising. Zombieland did well at the box office a couple of years ago, The Walking Dead is one of the most watched shows on TV, Brad Pitt has a good track record and the book was pretty good.

• Like 1

I don't think it was so surprising. Zombieland did well at the box office a couple of years ago, The Walking Dead is one of the most watched shows on TV, Brad Pitt has a good track record and the book was pretty good.

I probably should have said that it was surprising to anybody who thought the troubled production meant people would stay away. It's hard to remember sometimes that most people who go to the movies don't really care about what happened behind the scenes short of somebody getting killed.