🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 81 — Finger Fuckers

I want to bake Matt a cake and hug him.

I know, isn't Danielle pregnant too?

@Asteck I wanted to provide some facts in this wave of opinions, even if they are just stats. They can better inform an argument (albeit a fruitless message board argument, as you so rightly pointed out).

People could decide 1 CC every 5 1/2 weeks is more than they'd like, and they'd be right because it's what they like that is the issue. But at least they can point to a number now.

I'm sorry I called your idea idiotic. I did not mean to single you out. The "CC debate debate debate" idea seemed to be floating out there, and of ALL the pain-staking research I did, I didn't look to confirm I would be hurting another person's feelings before I decided to call it stupid. I do apologize.

Do you own Matt's two albums yet?

If you'd like I'll buy them for you.

Shoot me an email and I'll gift them your way: kajusx at hotmail dot com.

• Like 3

Do you own Matt's two albums yet?

If you'd like I'll buy them for you.

Shoot me an email and I'll gift them your way: kajusx at hotmail dot com.

I would also like to offer this service whenever KajusX runs out of money. If you want Matt's stuff, don't worry about the four dollars.

robinsbruce (at) gmail (dot) com

• Like 2

I think it was the incredible effects you implied the idea would have on you that stirred my reply, not any wounding of feelings. I subscribe to the idea that what you say on the internet shouldn’t stray too far from what you’d say in real life. So walking through somebody actually saying what you wrote I got: “This idea was idiotic, but not just regular idiotic (heh, I can manage that!), no this was super-obnoxious idiotic (don’t worry, I made a note of it), but that doesn’t completely articulate it does it? No, this idea of putting the value of a debate segment to debate was so far beyond human tolerance idiotic that it made me sick.”

Honestly if you’d called it stupid, I wouldn’t have cared. Heck you could have said all of that and offered a better solution and I wouldn’t have minded. I acknowledge that your reply reply brought value to the debate, but the way you went about it tinges a major pet peeve of mine regarding the I4H forums, mainly because of a fantasy I created when I first started listening. This show speaks to a specific comedic sensibility. When I started listening I recall hoping that the community that followed it would be like-minded, good natured, self-aware and usually light hearted. A community that reflected the style of comedy conveyed on the show.

Then Chris Gore guested and it was like any sense of reason jumped ship. I literally made this account to try to get people to stop calling a stranger they’d had a 20 minute experience with a sociopath. Did they genuinely believe that?

It’s been like a Chris Gore debate after every case closed to me. People aggressively asserting their opinions, whining when they don’t find a segment of the show funny, as if it had been forced upon them, and being downright assholes. I recall a person making a comment during the thread that followed the Prestonsinfield ep which read “Matt I’m a fan, but fuck you...” Would that statement ever be uttered in real life? Would somebody go to a show, wait in line to make a comment to the performer and say that?

Clearly this all isn’t aimed at you. And if you’re thinking that I’m taking this way too seriously, I agree. I’m just bummed that something that could have been so cool was shat upon so heavily. I imagined what it must be like outside of the UCB with a bunch of people with similar interests in comedy interacting and got my hopes up.

I appreciate your olive branch, but if there is any way to put those funds toward another chapter of the Master Classes being created, I will gladly match it. I’m gonna take my own advice and just skip the portion of the show that I feel brings the rest of the show down by peacing out of these forums. That being said, with RIP Spirit Bear being outed, I’d like to take this time to admit that this has in fact been a duplicate account, for the one I usually use: Lukas Holmes. I’ll probably change my mind later and try to use my other account to refute this, but in this moment, I’m glad I’m finally getting the truth out there. Thanks RIP spirit bear, it feels great!

If anybody actually read all of that, I'll save you the trouble by adding this for you

VRZvWMr.gif

Multiple people on this forum do not feel safe sharing their opinion on the internet.

Meanwhile, in Professor Blastoffland, some guys states his name, where he works and proceeds to talk into a microphone that will ultimately reach hundreds of thousand of pairs of ears and within 30 seconds is revealing that he's recovering from severe bulimia, alcoholism, a heavily disappointed father and a prolapsed anus.

• Like 1

Oh, and I'm actually EricL, the formerly paid intern.

I'm getting swept up in this Spartacus-esque stepping forward business.

@Astek/LukasHolmes/WhatTheFuckIsEvenHappeningHereAnymore, I do agree that point #3 was hyperbolic internet garbage speak. It does not fit in with my three other points, but it's intent was me going, "I don't like that idea because at this current juncture I have no confidence it will solve anything, and I'm tired of this argument and people need to get off of the Case Closed Segment already."

One cannot vote with dollars for something one downloads for free, so people need to work around anything they do not enjoy.

But shit, Lukas. I see you all over these boards. I appreciate your presence. This shit is weird.

I go by KajusX all over the internet. And if people are ever interested in knowing who I am, they just have to click on my profile. The link to my blog is my name. Super-recently somebody on the earwolf forums appreciated a comment I wrote somewhere (on Nerd Poker? I cannot recall), looked at my blog, started following me on twitter and @replied me to tell me he did all this in three minutes.

I concur that the fighting on this board sucks.

It's the same grossly overblown BS that went down on The Earwolf Challenge.

With shitty boards, I just avoid them altogether or try to stick to the positive.

I'm here to enjoy the show with people who also enjoy the show.

That's about it for me.

• Like 1

Yeah, so... I thought the shampoo commercial try-outs was my favorite scene. Really great ep. Randy Cohen is an awesome guy.

• Like 1

Then Chris Gore guested and it was like any sense of reason jumped ship. I literally made this account to try to get people to stop calling a stranger they’d had a 20 minute experience with a sociopath. Did they genuinely believe that?

Reading this thread was a 20 minute experience that genuinely made me believe you're a sociopath, so I bet they did. I literally made this account to say that.

Reading this thread was a 20 minute experience that genuinely made me believe you're a sociopath, so I bet they did. I literally made this account to say that.

TWIST: you're the same account

Great episode! All of the guests were superb.

Case closed is a good segment that adds some contrast to the usual flavor of Improv4Humans. I always enjoy it, but a few of them have reminded me of those early non-conference football games between top 10 teams and FCS schools. It's fun to see your team kicking butt, but after the 5th or 6th touchdown in a row you wish the other team would put up a fight. Matt Besser's interview with Randy Cohen should help the segment evolve further and become even better.

• Like 3

Very funny episode. The Case Closed segment was good radio. Besser turned a weak segment where he bullied some kid on the phone into a more compelling radio chapter. This reminded me of Howard Stern, who could/can take all manner of mundane things and make them into compelling radio.

This reminded me of Howard Stern, who could/can take all manner of mundane things and make them into compelling radio.

You were correct the first time with "could" in regards to Howie. Sadly, those days are pretty much gone IMO.

Long live Matt Besser, the new king of all media!

TWIST: you're the same account

Golly Brett the Engineer, I'd have assumed you'd use more logic than that, though I could see mistaking me for a dummy account given the nature of this thread. Rest assured, I'm not that weirdo. Nor do I think he would call himself a sociopath from what I read here.

I'm just a fan of the show, and moreover, a fan of the Case Closed segment that I wish would not go away. Besser is a firecracker whose fuse I don't want to see doused!

No harm done, Brett. Go get them trolls.

Golly Brett the Engineer, I'd have assumed you'd use more logic than that, though I could see mistaking me for a dummy account given the nature of this thread. Rest assured, I'm not that weirdo. Nor do I think he would call himself a sociopath from what I read here.

I'm just a fan of the show, and moreover, a fan of the Case Closed segment that I wish would not go away. Besser is a firecracker whose fuse I don't want to see doused!

No harm done, Brett. Go get them trolls.

Just a joke dude

Just a joke dude

TWIST: I should stop trying to pretend I'm not that guy. Who am I trying to kid. I took a long hard look in the mirror today, and I'm just not so sure about anything anymore. Me, that guy, you... what's the difference.

Matt, I feel like you could stand to be considerably more polite. Granted this isn't something I would normally say to a person face to face, but it very well might be something I said to a person who belittled and called autistic somebody with whom they disagreed with. I am listening to these episodes in order and enjoying the improv comedy greatly, and perhaps this tonal issue is resolved in future episodes, but I don't think it's unreasonable to express that as a listener I'd appreciate a separation between friendly fun improv and hostile political debates.

You asked what makes a bully? I would argue that taking glee in belittling another person is what makes a bully, and I feel like I have witnessed you do this a few times in this forum. Including in this topic. You hold the cards and choice, so I obviously cannot dictate you separate the hostile political segments from your improv comedy segments, but I would hope that you care how your fans feel about what you do, and in that capacity I am expressing my opinion as your fan:

I very much do not enjoy the case closed segments because of their hostile and in my opinion unfunny tone. I think all your fans would be better served if you separated case-closed from I4H. At time of the current episodes of your show that I am listening to, you said you wanted to make I4H the best podcast ever, or something to that effect. To that end I, in just my person opinion, feel like you would be served by separating Case-Closed from I4H.

I really tried to choose my words carefully, so if you find anything insulting about what I wrote, please disregard it, because I intend no insults.

Mr. Too Much Moxie, you need to skip on to the Master Blaster runs Barter Town episode.

Also, Case waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Closed!

I have a statute of limitations on how far back in the archives you can lecture me. 2013?!

I will only be scolded on issues brought up in 2015. Maybe you should also skip to the SKM eps.

That being said we record tomorrow (aug 5) if you'd like to take me to task on the air and give me a good talking to. We can also talk about the first season of Game of Thrones if you've caught up.

Hey everybody, have you weighed in on the next Best Of ep?

• Like 1

Mr. Too Much Moxie, you need to skip on to the Master Blaster runs Barter Town episode. Also, Case waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Closed! I have a statute of limitations on how far back in the archives you can lecture me. 2013?! I will only be scolded on issues brought up in 2015. Maybe you should also skip to the SKM eps. That being said we record tomorrow (aug 5) if you'd like to take me to task on the air and give me a good talking to. We can also talk about the first season of Game of Thrones if you've caught up. Hey everybody, have you weighed in on the next Best Of ep?

I really appreciate the opportunity, Matt, as I am a big fan. But in this case I feel I have to decline because while I stand by what I say in the context of this topic and this time period of the show, I can appreciate and don't necessarily disagree with the idea that it's not really fair to criticize people for stuff they said over 2 years ago.

As I said in my post "perhaps this tonal issue is resolved in future episodes", and if the issue of tone is resolved/made less hostile then really there isn't much to discuss, and if it isn't then my points of reference in the debate/discussion would be outdated and that wouldn't be fair to either you or me.

I'm going to stick with I4H and keep listening to episodes in order, because aside from the tone of the case closed/political part I really do enjoy the show. If I do get considerably more current and feel the same way I might speak up again on these forums. But I said my part in the context of this admittedly old topic/episode and will bite my tongue about feedback until I am much more caught up. Because like you said all of this feedback is outdated and while it isn't false it isn't necessarily relevant presently or at least not relevant enough to warrant a current on-air discussion.

Once again though, thank you very much for the opportunity, while what I posted was critical it was fully intended to be constructive. I hope it was only taken as such.

Feel free to message me though if you ever actually do want to talk about Game of Thrones, Matt. I've got plenty to say about that too. (Like what was up with Stannis? His character always feels like the mannerisms, acting, and rationality are all off to me.)

Sign in to follow this