🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Smigg

In honour of "A Night of Hulkamania", I present, "The Lies of Hulkmania".

Okay, more Hogan, sort of bullshit, but it's not a quote, it's a trick he did.

When Hogan was in WCW, he only had to work something like 150 days a year. He does 50 Nitro, 50 Thunder, 12 Pay Per Views. That leaves 38 house shows, which he rarely wrestled on. Which is why WCW would promote the shows like "AND AN APPEARANCE BY THE NWO!!!" and then you get two job guys in nWo shirts.

Anyways, what would happen is, when Hogan knows that WCW's TV show would be up against something other than Raw, or it's going to be pre-empted, meaning the show's ratings would suffer, Hogan would feign an injury, or enforcing his "I only have to work 150 dates", and then come back when regular service is restored, and when the ratings come in, and they're back to normal, he would say "The ratings spiked back up when I came back, better give me another run with the title, brother".

Okay, more Hogan, sort of bullshit, but it's not a quote, it's a trick he did.

When Hogan was in WCW, he only had to work something like 150 days a year. He does 50 Nitro, 50 Thunder, 12 Pay Per Views. That leaves 38 house shows, which he rarely wrestled on. Which is why WCW would promote the shows like "AND AN APPEARANCE BY THE NWO!!!" and then you get two job guys in nWo shirts.

Anyways, what would happen is, when Hogan knows that WCW's TV show would be up against something other than Raw, or it's going to be pre-empted, meaning the show's ratings would suffer, Hogan would feign an injury, or enforcing his "I only have to work 150 dates", and then come back when regular service is restored, and when the ratings come in, and they're back to normal, he would say "The ratings spiked back up when I came back, better give me another run with the title, brother".

Yeah he would do that during big rating killers like the NFL season or NBA playoffs too.

I'm pretty sure that I MYSELF was even in the New World Order for a brief period of time in the summer of '98 or so, ranking somewhere between Scott Norton and Virgil. To quote Andy Warhol, "In the future, everyone will be nWo 4 Life for 15 minutes". Man was a fuckin' prophet...

• Like 2

Yeah he would do that during big rating killers like the NFL season or NBA playoffs too.

In those later years, Nitro was even jobbing to the Westminster Dog Show, which preempted Raw, which still had more viewers than Nitro when it finally came on around midnight or so.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that I MYSELF was even in the New World Order for a brief period of time in the summer of '98 or so, ranking somewhere between Scott Norton and Virgil. To quote Andy Warhol, "In the future, everyone will be nWo 4 Life for 15 minutes". Man was a fuckin' prophet...

No way, I was in for like 30 seconds before I was kicked out. They gave me a shirt, and I said "Do you have the black and red one", and they got all pissy.

Daniel Bryan told a Scott Norton that makes me laugh every time I hear it. It was when Bryan was in Japan, and Norton was kind of big over there (bigger than he ever was in WCW, which wasn't really hard). All the foreign wrestlers are on a bus going to the next town. And you just hear Norton lose it and scream "Arrrrgh!! Why is this bus going so slow!!" and he stomps to the front of the bus, to see this Japanese couple in the car in front, driving really slow.

So Norton opens up the bus door, hangs out of it and starts shaking his fist at them telling them to speed up. The bus eventually overtakes them, not satisfied that the Japanese couple have received enough of a fist shaking, he runs to the back of the bus, to shake his fist at them some more.

• Like 1

No way, I was in for like 30 seconds before I was kicked out. They gave me a shirt, and I said "Do you have the black and red one", and they got all pissy.

I'd bet that Horace Hogan would have traded you his for a sandwich or something. Scott Norton would have given HIS up for 298 pancakes.

Oh wait, it was the red-and-black you wanted. Unlike the white-and-black, they weren't just giving THOSE away..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKxXr1s2TDw

• Like 1

There was an indie show a couple of years ago, They marketed "FLAIR VS, HOGAN", they sold thousands of tickets, as a Flair vs. Hogan match would. The place was packed to the rafters with excited fans.

Until the main event, when it was David Flair vs. Horace Hogan.

I'd bet that Horace Hogan would have traded you his for a sandwich or something. Scott Norton would have given HIS up for 298 pancakes.

Oh wait, it was the red-and-black you wanted. Unlike the white-and-black, they weren't just giving THOSE away..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKxXr1s2TDw

That's five more than the world record!

The preempting by the Westminster Dog Show always confused me as a kid. I would be so excited to see Mankind gross out Vince McMahon with a sock or The Rock to discuss what he was cooking.... only to find dogs being walked on AstroTurf. Since I was around 14 at the time, my solution was probably to go to my room and masturbate, which was my solution to everything at that tender age.

• Like 1

I'm 30, that's STILL my solution to everything.

• Like 1

I'm 30, that's STILL my solution to everything.

I wish I could say the same, but inspired by all the professional wrestling I watched as an adolescent, I've spent the intervening years overloading my system with anabolic steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs, thus rendering myself totally impotent. Worth it? Obviously.

• Like 1

Speaking of steroids, Lance Storm told a story about when he first got into wrestling, Lance was straight edge before CM Punk was boasting about it. So, he's never taken anything. So, this guy walks up to him and says "Hey, kid. You've got some pretty good size, where do you get your gear from?" Lance said "What gear?" the guy then said "You know, gear, steroids".

Lance then said "Oh, no, I;m not on anything." The guy looks at him and said "You're not on anything? Well, you should, just think about how huge you'll be with it!"

• Like 2

There was an indie show a couple of years ago, They marketed "FLAIR VS, HOGAN", they sold thousands of tickets, as a Flair vs. Hogan match would. The place was packed to the rafters with excited fans.

Until the main event, when it was David Flair vs. Horace Hogan.

Wow everyone was a loser at that show. At least David Flair can go on knowing that he created a meme with his Titantron video. It almost always seems to be the case of when a child follows in their father's footsteps in wrestling, they fail horribly due to a mixture of expectations being too high and them just being terrible wrestlers.

And here's one for Virgil:

• Like 1

I didn't even realize that David Flair HAD an entrance in the WWF/WWE. I remember him getting murdered by Undertaker at least once in the build-up to his dad's match with him at Mania 18. Was one of those times an actual match on TV? Reason #3547 why the WWE Network is sooooo sweet...

Yeah I've been considering getting it on my PS3. Am I able to get any match I want whenever I want because all I keep seeing are lineup schedules as if it was an online TV channel?

Wow everyone was a loser at that show. At least David Flair can go on knowing that he created a meme with his Titantron video. It almost always seems to be the case of when a child follows in their father's footsteps in wrestling, they fail horribly due to a mixture of expectations being too high and them just being terrible wrestlers.

And here's one for Virgil:

Flair's daughter is in WWE now, under the name "Charlotte".

Nice to see Virgil brought up, that guy has become a real piece of shit.

Well after the pic of him hocking stuff at the subway, I'm not surprised that he's getting desperate.

Yeah I've been considering getting it on my PS3. Am I able to get any match I want whenever I want because all I keep seeing are lineup schedules as if it was an online TV channel?

There's the "live" aspect of it that you mention, which can be anything really, and it's how they premiere things before adding it to the on-demand archive if it's not there already. They've been experimenting with airing certain events live, like NXT Arrival, Main Event, and Raw pre and post shows with the hopes that they'll have all the kinks worked out by Mania. The Hall of Fame will be streaming live the night before that. On launch day, EVERY WWE, WCW, and ECW PPV was available, and they've been adding documentaries, various clip shows, episodes of ECW and World Class, old Raws, and various odds and ends ever since. I'm really digging it. I saw the new slate of pilots that might become series soon, and one of them is a bounty hunting show starring STEVE MOTHERFUCKING BLACKMAN. Hells yes...

• Like 1

Yeah I read about the Blackman show. Okay that sounds like a decent package, it was just the term on-demand that had me wondering. Now do they also have old Nitro and Thunder episodes, because I want to watch the Russo era episodes for guilty pleasure humor.

Yeah I read about the Blackman show. Okay that sounds like a decent package, it was just the term on-demand that had me wondering. Now do they also have old Nitro and Thunder episodes, because I want to watch the Russo era episodes for guilty pleasure humor.

They're working on it. I think as far as the older stuff goes, they're adding more stuff that's relevant to storylines or guys that are big now, like shows that had big debuts or memorable matches on them. It's kind of random. They're starting a Monday Night Wars series, and I'd have to think that as they cover those periods, more of that stuff will make it's way there, and it'll be awesome to once again do a side-by-side comparison of what was going on in each company at any given time.

Yeah I own both the Monday Night Wars and Rise & Fall of WCW and neither really go into the later years of WCW, which I would have loved to see. In Rise & Fall it was more about Jim Crockett Promotions and early WCW, and a 90 minute documentary wasn't nearly enough to cover that promotions life. I wish it had been like the Rise & Fall of ECW which was a 3 hour documentary that was so in-depth it was incredible.

Sign in to follow this