🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 322 — YouTube Phenomahna

Good episode but I like the ones where Chelsea partakes in the fun a bit more. I listened to her ep from Jan with the Bachelor Brothers and that is probably one of my favorites from the year. Also funny to hear her and Scott talk reference the same subjects: periods, benign nine, ab-so-lutely. Still a good ep though! Seth really grossed me out with his whispering. ughhh.

Actually, Bryan and Scott, a broken clock set on 5 o'clock is ALWAYS 5 o'clock.

P.S. I know it's been a while, but my deepest condolences about your wife and sister, Bryan...

S'been awhile

Hoo boy...my ex girlfriend was into that ASMR stuff. It's the most creepy, disturbing thing. Morris was spot on emphasizing the sound of lips smacking together.

Oh my god, this is a real thing?

Oh my god, this is a real thing?

Very much so. YouTube ASMR and prepare to be disturbed. I've never had such a viscerally negative reaction to something

• Like 2

I watched Chelsea's special, and I gotta say, it's great to see a comedian that's so popular with dogs.

• Like 3

I loved Chelsea's special. I loved the 80's/90's aesthetic and of course the audience/dog shots were great. I also loved that she drove her motorcycle around my neighborhood and stomping ground in the opening. It would have been cool to bump into Chelsea at Lake Merritt.

I loved this episode so damn much. I believe you were thinking of Yellowstone, Scott.

Also, as far as top 10 goes, I have to include DJs are Sleaze Js (292), Calvins Twins (266), Hollywild (263) and of course Suicide House (319) along with all of the typicals.

• Like 1

I watched Chelsea's special, and I gotta say, it's great to see a comedian that's so popular with dogs.

To be fair, most of them didn't appear to be having a great time. Maybe we could get Gino to interview them?

Regards

S'been awhile

It's really late here and I'm really tired. Reading your reply, a ghostly choir of co-hosts and characters manifested out of nowhere and chanted it loudly in my ears—a polar opposite ASMR, if you will. I found myself laughing uncontrollably to this, the most trivial of references and yet so, so powerful...

Thank you. It has, indeed, been a while.

Chelsea is killing, murdering, obliterating this mediascape on so many levels! B99 CCP ETC- There is a drooling dog in her special right before the OG banana bit, such timing. A whole nubba lebel of laughs! "Metrics Reloaded"

• Like 3

Is it verboten to be critical on these boards? I say this as someone who has been driven to ecstatic heights of laughter by Bob Ducca and Seth Morris generally, but everything with Seth's character on this episode was such a dud. Scott steers into the skid at one point and makes the dullness the joke, with the comically overextended Quickbooks chat, but the non-Chelsea portions of this episode fell so flat.

It's interesting to see Scott's semi-hostile reaction to undercooked character ideas -- my favorite example of this is when Joe Wengert came on as a Men's Rights guy or something, but Scott wasn't feeling it so he seized on that insane "duck" thing instead. Quickbooks was basically a less funny version of that.

• Like 2

This is somewhat off topic, but did anyone listen to Harris Wittels' episode of You Made It Weird? As a fan of Harris, and not knowing any details about him going to rehab and getting sober beyond the mention of it, whenever that Analyze Phish episode came out. I was legitimately shocked hearing what was actually happening in that guys life during that time.

when Joe Wengert came on as a Men's Rights guy or something, but Scott wasn't feeling it so he seized on that insane "duck" thing instead

WHOOOOOOOOOOOSSSHH.

• Like 7

Yeah, the ASMR bit is one of my least fav things this show has ever done. Mainly because I found it so repellent I couldn't finish the episode - I never want to hear a grown man talk in a cloying. whispery baby voice, ever. But also because it was picking on a basically harmless subculture and made it seem even stranger. Ah well, there's always next week.

You know, I agree that (for me) this wasn't Morris' funniest character but I honestly think it had something to do with my extreme aversion to ASMR. Like, even as a joke there is something that makes me nauseated hearing grown men talk in that whispery, dry-lipped baby voice. I can listen to Little Gary all day, but start doing that ASMR whisper and I'm done.

Favorite Choctaw line which I forgot about for a while - "Mmm, just like Natasha Henstridge!"

• Like 2

Yeah, the ASMR bit is one of my least fav things this show has ever done. Mainly because I found it so repellent I couldn't finish the episode - I never want to hear a grown man talk in a cloying. whispery baby voice, ever. But also because it was picking on a basically harmless subculture and made it seem even stranger. Ah well, there's always next week.

No. No, those people deserve to be picked on.

• Like 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFLxIYwdk90

I hadn't bothered to actually look into ASMR, believing and fearing in its majestically odd and terrible reality despite how absurd it sounded. Weirder things are out there.

Wish I didn't click on that link though..

It has substance now and with it, allure. I don't want to become one of them. I can't become one of them. So why am I still looking? Why am I still listening? Please. Stop me. Somebody. Please. Life was hard enough before being a feline aviator. But an ASMR-loving space cat? Heavens to Betsy...

• Like 1

The ones with guests are probably the best to jump into, and I think the one with Jenny Slate and Gabe Liedman is one of the better guest ones. You could also try the latest one with Brenden Walsh, which has a pretty great opening.

http://www.feralaudi...n-sam-and-bong/

Listened to the Jenny Slate and Gabe Liedman episode. It was fucking wonderful. Thank you, good rec. I especially like the way Chelsea just hangs up on people.