🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
faye-raye

Fantastic Mr. Fox

I know you don't normally do animation but Holy cow have you seen this? The plot is totally different from the book, the stop frame models look like real dead animals, the characters are utterly dislikable, the script repeatedly uses the word 'Swear' instead of swearwords because it's a kid's film and George Clooney's voice acting sounds like he's slowly slipping into a coma. It is mental!!

I think Wes Anderson is MASSIVELY overrated (and yet I have seen all of his movies except Grand Budapest but probably will get around to it since it's on HBO), but I think this is a bad choice.

REALLY? It was a success? Am I the only person to hate it?

Seriously? If you're recommending this for HDTGM, then I'm afraid not only do you not know what constitutes a bad movie, but you don't really get this podcast. I understand that it's the hip thing to say you hate Wes Anderson movies, but c'mon!

• Like 1

To be fair, I fucking hated Snowpiercer, which is a very well received movie both by critics and by this board and I still think it warrants a podcast.

As for Wes Anderson, I loved Life Aquatic and Royal Tenenbaums, everything else hes done has been great but I think he peaked with those two.

Seriously? If you're recommending this for HDTGM, then I'm afraid not only do you not know what constitutes a bad movie, but you don't really get this podcast. I understand that it's the hip thing to say you hate Wes Anderson movies, but c'mon!

Hey man, I was hating Wes Anderson before it was cool. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go wax my mustache and sip a micro brew.

• Like 3

To be fair, I fucking hated Snowpiercer, which is a very well received movie both by critics and by this board and I still think it warrants a podcast.

I love Snowpiercer, but (unlike 'Fox' or most other good movies) it has that next level bonkers quality where it would be good for HDTGM in the Crank/Punisher sense.

Hey man, I was hating Wes Anderson before it was cool. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go wax my mustache and sip a micro brew.

On your moped, right?

I love Snowpiercer, but (unlike 'Fox' or most other good movies) it has that next level bonkers quality where it would be good for HDTGM in the Crank/Punisher sense.

I just watched Snowpiercer for a second time the other night and found it to be bonkers enjoyable. The school teacher in the second act steals the show.

• Like 1

I can definitely understand why people enjoy Snowpiercer, its a very stylistic movie with a great cast. The logical inconsistencies absolutely destroyed the movie for me though. Theres just way too much that makes zero fucking sense for me at all take it seriously.

Dat ending tho. I dont think i've seen a bigger fuck you to the audience from a film in quite some time.

Oh well it gave us the line "Now I know that babies taste the best" If theres a line that can justify that movies existence its that.

As for hating Wes Anderson, dont worry guys Gene Hackman has that on lockdown. He already emotionally terrorized him.

I always say this about Wes Anderson: I think that he is great at writing compelling characters, but I hate his sense of humor. I feel like a lot of times he dresses up non-jokes in a zany delivery to disguise that they're not jokes. I have learned to watch his movies and ignore the comedy element and that has lead to much more enjoyment.

I always say this about Wes Anderson: I think that he is great at writing compelling characters, but I hate his sense of humor. I feel like a lot of times he dresses up non-jokes in a zany delivery to disguise that they're not jokes. I have learned to watch his movies and ignore the comedy element and that has lead to much more enjoyment.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I've seen that a couple of times, too.

I actually like Wes Anderson’s films. He has a distinct and individualistic style and voice. There’s no one out there doing quite what he does. Sure, he borrows elements from other filmmakers (Francois Truffaut pops immediately to mind), but I think Anderson – much like Tarantino—incorporates his influences in a fresh and vibrant way that are wholly his own. I like the static, picture book-like two-person framing shots he’s fond of using in his films, his carefully curated soundtracks (hipster-hate him all you want, but you can’t deny that the guy has great taste in music) and his reliable stable of actors. I like Anderson’s style, and I’m never disappointed watching his whimsically melancholy films.

Sometimes people get caught in their own Echo chamber and assume their opinion is representative of others. No offense to the OP, but that's what we have here.

• Like 1

I am not being 'hip' I didn't even know who directed it. I just didn't find this film very enjoyable.

I know I joked about being a hipster for not liking Wes Anderson before it was cool to do so, but honestly I would think he would be a hipster darling with his quirky sense of humor.

I am not being 'hip' I didn't even know who directed it. I just didn't find this film very enjoyable.

#IgnoranceBrag

Seriously you know you're in the minority with your opinion, right? More so for recommending this film for a HDTGM bad movie takedown.

I finally got around to seeing Gone Girl last night, and despite the gaping plot holes (of which there were so, so, SO many) that annoyed me to no end hours after seeing this movie, I still wouldn't recommend that film for HDTGM. The reason is simple: despite this film's slapdash script, it was still well made, acted and directed.

I get that Fanastic Mr. Fox irked you, but you can't say it was a poorly made film. When compared to, say, Spider-Man 3 or Batman & Robin - where all cyliders of these horrible movies simply aren't firing, this film (with its glowing reviews and accolades) which you didn't find enjoyable and are now recommending here misses the point of this podcast completely.

I know I joked about being a hipster for not liking Wes Anderson before it was cool to do so, but honestly I would think he would be a hipster darling with his quirky sense of humor.

I can't say I disagree with you on that, Lando. Anderson has become a twee/hipster cinematic poster boy, whether he likes it or not. Still, he's a talented filmmaker and a good storyteller, so there's that.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this