🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SlidePocket

Stigmata

Stigmata sees Patricia Arquette getting possessed by the devil with Gabriel Byrne trying to help free her from the entity. This film came out the same year as End of Days, which oddly enough also starred Byrne, and was made by the guy who helmed the likes of Blank Check and the remake of The Fog. Gotta bring this up on the forum here.

God this movie is an acid trip. A bishop tries to strangle a woman because apparently if people believe that god is inside of us all and not just churches than catholicism will collapse in on its self.

I did like Patricia Arquette screaming at Gabriel Byrne in fury in a mans voice because he wouldnt have some sweet possessed sex with her.

I will say The Fog is solid though, its a little bananas in terms of plot but Marcia Gay Harden is amazingly fucking hateable in that movie. Also the ending is goddamn brutal in how much of a bummer it is. There are movies that have melancholy endings and then theres The Fog.

I will say The Fog is solid though, its a little bananas in terms of plot but Marcia Gay Harden is amazingly fucking hateable in that movie. Also the ending is goddamn brutal in how much of a bummer it is. There are movies that have melancholy endings and then theres The Fog.

You're thinking of "The Mist". "The Fog" had Tom Welling from "Smallville" in it and was kind of a shit sandwich. I think "The Mist" is great, and you're right, the ending is a total kick in the balls. If only they'd waited about 30 more seconds...

As a plus, the music for the film was done by none other than Billy Corgan from the Smashing Pumpkins!

You're thinking of "The Mist". "The Fog" had Tom Welling from "Smallville" in it and was kind of a shit sandwich. I think "The Mist" is great, and you're right, the ending is a total kick in the balls. If only they'd waited about 30 more seconds...

That's what I loved about the ending, was the fucked up Twilight Zoniness of it, plus it was a vast improvement over the ending in the story which was really ambiguous.

As far as Stigmata goes, I only remember this as it was the first movie my family got on DVD along with Arlington Road. It's more infuriating that we paid $30 each for those since it was fairly new technology. The ending didn't really make sense because it assumed that the audience held the belief that only the church could offer you the path towards forgiveness and nowhere else. I just imagine that cardinal sending hit squads to every house where a person prays next to their bed before sleeping.

My apologies for putting it out there that The Fog was a solid movie, that definitively is not the case.

Yea Thomas Jane absolutely kills it in that scene, he looks so completely destroyed.

That's what I loved about the ending, was the fucked up Twilight Zoniness of it, plus it was a vast improvement over the ending in the story which was really ambiguous.

As far as Stigmata goes, I only remember this as it was the first movie my family got on DVD along with Arlington Road. It's more infuriating that we paid $30 each for those since it was fairly new technology. The ending didn't really make sense because it assumed that the audience held the belief that only the church could offer you the path towards forgiveness and nowhere else. I just imagine that cardinal sending hit squads to every house where a person prays next to their bed before sleeping.

Yea the ending made the notion that god is within us all like it was the formula for cold fusion. Also Arlington Road is also worthy of being taken down, its such a fucking weird movie. And in keeping with Jason's preference for keeping shit real, Dennis the Menace blows two of his fingers off and is wandering down the street half dead in the opening scene.

Yea Thomas Jane absolutely kills it in that scene, he looks so completely destroyed.

Yeah, and he was nowhere near as torn up when his ENTIRE FAMILY was annihilated in "The Punisher". As not-good as that version was, they somehow made his origin even more cold-blooded by having a mob hit on the Castle family reunion.

I want to watch "The Mist" again, I have it sitting right here, but it's really late, and I don't think I can endure the cinematic cockpunch that is the last two minutes right now...

• Like 1

You're thinking of "The Mist". "The Fog" had Tom Welling from "Smallville" in it and was kind of a shit sandwich.

The original The Fog directed by John Carpenter starring Jamie Lee Curtis with her mom, Janet Leigh, in a supporting role, is quite good.

Yeah, and he was nowhere near as torn up when his ENTIRE FAMILY was annihilated in "The Punisher". As not-good as that version was, they somehow made his origin even more cold-blooded by having a mob hit on the Castle family reunion.

I want to watch "The Mist" again, I have it sitting right here, but it's really late, and I don't think I can endure the cinematic cockpunch that is the last two minutes right now...

Its a great movie but its a rough watch for sure.

God that Punisher movie really is a weird one. The overly elaborate mind games that he plays on Travolta in that movie really are something else and so completely out of character for the Punisher.

The fight with The Russian was outstanding though.

Its a great movie but its a rough watch for sure.

God that Punisher movie really is a weird one. The overly elaborate mind games that he plays on Travolta in that movie really are something else and so completely out of character for the Punisher.

The fight with The Russian was outstanding though.

It's biggest problem overall was that it was absolutely tone deaf. They were pulling things from different eras of the character, but there wasn't really any balance or anything that tied it all together in a satisfying way. Garth Ennis wrote the book for nearly a decade, doing two completely different takes on the character, with one being a more humorous and cartoonishly violent tale (Castle uses an entire zoo as a weapon at one point), and then the second run (which started just about when the 2004 movie came out) being a pretty terrifying version of how he'd deal with more real-world issues and the horrible people that do even MORE horrible things to good people. I think "War Zone" was a better balance, but I'd still like to see a dead serious Punisher, which we might get in "Daredevil".

But holy shit, that ending to "The Mist" just drives it's boot right into your taint...

Thomas Janes character in the Punisher wishes he could inflict the level of emotional devastation that he does to himself in The Mist.

Why are we talking about The Mist and The Punisher, this topic is about Stigmata guys!

It's biggest problem overall was that it was absolutely tone deaf. They were pulling things from different eras of the character, but there wasn't really any balance or anything that tied it all together in a satisfying way. Garth Ennis wrote the book for nearly a decade, doing two completely different takes on the character, with one being a more humorous and cartoonishly violent tale (Castle uses an entire zoo as a weapon at one point), and then the second run (which started just about when the 2004 movie came out) being a pretty terrifying version of how he'd deal with more real-world issues and the horrible people that do even MORE horrible things to good people. I think "War Zone" was a better balance, but I'd still like to see a dead serious Punisher, which we might get in "Daredevil".

I cannot wait to see how Jon Bernthal portrays the character. I have been following the last 15 years of Punisher stories from Ennis to Rick Remender to Jason Aaron and I was amazed at how much they Scoobyfied Thomas Jane's version. From the fake torture scenes to the overly complicated plot to turn Travolta against his wife, it just didn't seem like a Punisher film until the end where it basically recreated the final fight from Year One.

Why are we talking about The Mist and The Punisher, this topic is about Stigmata guys!

Because these two are more fun to talk about than the downer of Stigmata.

I'm only here to talk about "Rampart!"

Yea Stigmata is more depressing and strange than it is interesting. Doesnt help that Gabby Byrnes is a fucking bummer in this movie too. He pretty clearly knew the script was shit and exerted as little effort as possible.

Sign in to follow this