🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 153 — Farewell...For Now

Our heroes meet some very familiar faces from the past...

This was so great.

And going by what was requested, I'm going to say that my favorite moment of the podcast was (and I really had to narrow this one down...) was the invasion of the gas planet by the skeletal crawlers, when Mildred had to hide in the locker. Everyone was roleplaying on all cylinders, and action was turned to 11.

I would like to thank Nerd Poker and another beloved d&d podcast I listen to Pretend Wizards for being one of the driving forces of helping succeed a critical hit against my alcoholism.

I was drinking too much, and as a night person, I needed another activity to fill my usual galavanting about town while drunk. I was on the hunt as a new podcast listener, and I found Nerd Poker, where apparently a bunch of funny assholes played D&D, a game I played as a kid. I loved it then, and I figured I'd reminisce. I cranked through the first "season" in as little as two weeks while listening all day at work. (I work 14 hour shifts)

Through listening to Sark and later Blaine, I was able to try DMing out with confidence, and I have had a dedicated group ever since.

Through d&d, I was able to give up drinking, because adventuring has never given me hangovers, or left me with embarrassing stories. (Well there was this one about a false reality and a ring of teleportation... Long story.)

Thank you guys so much, and along with Pretend Wizards, you may very well have saved at least one nerds life.

I'm actually DMing a group from the forum here (we haven't started yet) and I plan on putting it in Sarks universe, so I actually have some questions for Sark... So Sark, if you're reading this... ;)

• Like 11

That was awesome!! Having everyone (except Gerry-tear) back was amazing. I listened at my cubicle and could not contain myself during Patton's song- holy shit. More than one person asked me if I was okay. I loved this podcast because you guys are hilarious and it brought me back to when I was a kid and I played this game. I turned 41 today and this was a great birthday present. Thank you and please, please come back - even if you guys get together once a year and do a danger room thing. I plan on posting some of my fan art on the appropriate forum to celebrate/eulogize Nerd Poker.

• Like 3

Really dug the cheesy get-together and fan-service in this episode

Couple things I was really enjoyed about the episode...

• Hearing Stargoyle (no, that isn't a tear you see. BACK OFF!)
  • Blackie Green's Charisma not actually being announced but it being eluded to
  • Mildrith meeting clone Mildrith again but would have been better if clone Mildrith would have been hotter than normal Mildrith so that normal Mildrith might actually strike out at her in jealousy
  • The sudden response of Brian with the Amarth and snapping clone Mildrith's neck made me think about the first spontaneous neck snapping all those years back
  • Patton's song of course

Hard to actually pinpoint my favorite part of the entire series but here are a few of my favorites..

• El'Ryan (spelling?) naked on the spirit bear
  • Dead body surfing with Blackie Green
  • The initial bar fight/fire bit with Blaine's campaign
  • Dan's Moon Festival adventure

Hopefully the "break" will really be a break and we will get some Nerd Poker 2.0 some time next year.

• Like 4

The moments that really stick out to me are the throat slitting in the village, real intense moment. The fight with the creature at the dwarf party was awesome. Slowly peicing together what exactly was going on when everyone woke up as rats. And pattons song is a new favorite.

Great ep. Just started relistening from the first, forgot how great this was. Thanks to those involved.

• Like 1

Great to hear Sark back as DM.

Some of my fav moments were the introduction of Sir Richard in the submarine and, later on, the funniest role-play of all time - "Does this look infected?"

• Like 3

I'll always remember when Sarah started speaking wererat, "Rrrah rrah rah!!!"

...and of course El Ryan's nakedness.

...and Ken's impressions of Vin Diesel. "Are you afraid of the dak?"

...and any mention of that guy in the wheelchair.

My favorite episode was the one that ended with the explosion in the mine. It was thrilling hearing what sounded like a complete party wipe. Really the entire stretch of Sark DMing was my favorite. Dude is great and kept all the players engaged. He always packed the situations they were in with smart details and crazy moments. I didn't even mind the endless tower stretch. If you come back I hope he is at the helm.

Sarah was an awesome roleplayer who always made the game better by sticking to her characters principles. It gave the group some internal conflict and made for some funny scenes. Ken was always a glorious coward. Blaine bodysurfing and his fake commercials. Brian doing horrible things without consulting the group will never stop being hilarious. Gerry being Gerry. Just really Gerrying it up. I also enjoyed Steve and Dan and what they brought to the table. Dan deserves special recognition for doing a hell of job DMing when Blaine was sick. Those were some of my favorite episodes.

This episode has inspired me to go back to square one and listen to the entire run again. Thank you for making this and entertaining me for countless hours at work. I hope everyone can come back some day for a new adventure. Farewell you goddamn nerds.

• Like 1

Some of the stuff that made me laugh the hardest had nothing to do with Dungeons and Dragons.

I laughed like crazy any time the topic came up of the guy in the wheelchair. What was his name again?

I never before had realized just how horny the people must be who work around hot dogs all day.

I will never listen to Chuck Mangione again without thinking of his dulcet tones coming out of a horn of blasting.

The list goes on. Thanks for the great times and great laughs, guys. You have created a nationwide epidemic of cackling idiots whose coworkers assume have lost their minds.

• Like 4

I had the biggest smile on my face listening to this episode. I wish I'd heard of this show a lot sooner than a couple of months ago but catching up on old episodes should see me through to what will hopefully be Nerd Poker 2.0.

Dammit! This is exactly why I almos5 didn't listen to Nerd Poker! I KNEW I wouldlove it and would have to eventually see it end.

Now I have to fill that void with meth and Jack Daniels.

No, not really, Sarah.

But, I had a couple of marketing ideas that would havemade you guys lots of money.

One, llow fans guest play, sort of. They skype into an episode, but, they play as a ghost whose actions have absolutely no affect, nor effect, on the party...ie: the group encounters yellow giants. While the regular plays take their actions, the dm asks the guest player what he will do. The guest player says he attcks the giants. And, because his actions don't effect anything, he succeeds, and then waits to see the outcome of the team. He can talk to the team, but, nthe team can completely ignore him, if they choose, since he is an aberration...a host that is just there.

Of course, charge a significant amount, say $100.

The other was a design for a stargoyle that actually sucks hot air through the mouth and releases cold air through the pooper, as Sark described a soul scrubbing. I got the idea because you commented a lot about the heat.

I held back the idea because I could not find whether stargoyle was a copyrighted idea. Instead, I am working on a series of creatures that do the same things...drangons, bears, whales, etc.

One of the things that had me laughing the most every time it came up was the name of the guy in the wheelchair. What is that guy's name, can anyone say? What's the whole story there?

Epic.

So many favourite moments but if I had to pick something out it would just be Gerry

Goodbye for now gang!

I can't express to you how much your show has filled my work week with fits of joy. I understand that everyone involved is super busy and its cool.

I will admit that hearing Brian announce the show was ending/ taking a break made the human ranger, psionic cat, and half-giant from the sands of Tyr whom live inside of me, blubber like wounded Tusken raiders. (I will miss that impression Dan SO Much)

Thank you so fucking MUCH!!! Thanks for the good times, the dick tracing, and scaring the shit out of my cubicle neighbors with sudden gasps and raucous laughter.

I sincerely hope this break doesn't last forever. Even if it does, thanks for everything!!!

• Like 1

Thank you guys SO MUCH for this amazing podcast!!!! I've been listening to you for 4 years, every week. It's going to be so sad to give you up, but you gotta do what you need to keep from melting into a heap of overwhelmed poo. I love you guys. I actually met my fiance in the basement of the comic book shop where I played dnd for the first time. DND is the best and you are the best! As per request, one of my favorite moments in game was for one: Jerry's death (Elrion). He was such a punk ass jerk and went down in style so close to the beginning of the game that it brought a reality and intensity to the story! And another was Steve singing the reworded Johnny Cash song. I was in tears and listened to it many times in a row! Also Patton's songs. But honestly I could gush on and on. . . Thank you guys, you made something special. You should feel proud!! I'll be around if you decide to pick up the nerdage again. :)

I hope this forum moving to the "Earwolf Classics" section doesn't mean anything permanent has been decided upon. :(

I hope this forum moving to the "Earwolf Classics" section doesn't mean anything permanent has been decided upon. :(

I think if the show does come back it comes back under a new name and dropping the "with Brian Posehn & Friends". so I am not too worried to see it move to Classics.I wouldn't be surprised to see a less static cast and have only 1 or 2 people that are in the podcast each week and then several players that rotate in for a few "weeks" at a time.