🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Kevin Bartelt

Episode 241 - Guess the Bigfoot

Will Hines, Stephanie Allynne and Alex Fernie join Matt Besser on this week's improv4humans. A ghost writer struggles to transcribe a vague musician, and a classroom discussion about a hypothetical flood gets out of hand. Also, Stephanie's friends try to convince her to partake in activities at abnormal times. Later, a Hillary and Bernie supporter debate if the presidential candidates should join forces against Trump during Case Closed.

YES! Case Closed is back! I just wish the people who agreed to come on weren't such dummies. That guy's whole argument was basically that there's no point? He didn't even touch on the argument that if Bernie stays in, he could get his message out more and maybe influence the party's platform, which is really the only argument for him staying in, although I don't really agree with it. But yeah, the case is closed, so I guess it doesn't matter! Great episode, the one with Stephanie trying do things at normal times was hilarious

• Like 1

He didn't even touch on the argument that if Bernie stays in, he could get his message out more and maybe influence the party's platform, which is really the only argument for him staying in, although I don't really agree with it.

I did. In the middle somewhere. Maybe I didn't make it effectively, but that was my only other argument.

• Like 1

In retrospect, you really did kinda the best you could, given the situation.

you could have mentioned how Hillary was losing in '08 and stayed in the race to the convention tho.

But hey, staying chill and respectful really goes a long way. kudos.

• Like 1

If I4H was the Star Wars cinematic universe Case Closed would be portrayed by Hayden Christensen.

• Like 1

THIS ISNT THE CASE CLOSED IM USED TO ALWAYS SKIPPING, IT WAS TOO LISTENABLE

I was going to ask if this episode is also laden with non objective and unwanted political BS. The description gave me my answer, thank you, I'll check back next week.

trigger warning: boring politics, 00:52:30 - 01:15:00 . You're welcome!

I just wish the people who agreed to come on weren't such dummies.

Sorry you didn't have a good time, but the woman I was on with, besides being a Clinton advocate, is a best selling author, a Harvard graduate and a columnist for the Huffington Post. Seems like not a dumb person.

• Like 3

I bet this'll piss Besser off, but I'm a huge improv4humans fan and a right-wing, nut job Trump supporter. I'm not gonna lie, this year has been great. Also, I've lived long enough to know none of these elections mean jack shit, so relax. We're not voting for king.

Sorry you didn't have a good time, but the woman I was on with, besides being a Clinton advocate, is a best selling author, a Harvard graduate and a columnist for the Huffington Post. Seems like not a dumb person.

I didn't like your stance at first but then I thought you really made a lot of sense. I too was like, 'It doesn't matter?' but I saw what you meant after a bit. Actually, fairly well stated and, what was confusing to me at least, subtly done. Maybe I'm just not used to political debates that don't involve screaming anymore and rely more on, 'I see your point, but here is mine.' Great job.

As far as Case Closed goes, this one was actually pretty good. I just can't stand the political stuff, for someone who desperately tried to come off as punk, anti-establishment, and an overall contrarian, I can't see any reason why Besser prefers Clinton. He hasn't even legitimately justified it to this day, but hey, it's his show and he can plug anything he wants. Either way, I'm backing out from listening anymore because I just know he's going to have a field day when she inevitably wins and I'm not going to enjoy listening to him gloat. Not trying to be dramatic, and I know no one gives a shit, but I just can't stand the politics segments, even if they won't be around much after the general election. At the end of the day, I've already got an improv podcast I prefer, (CBB) and I know Hot Saucerman would never take thirty minutes to shill out politicians and hire other people to sound smart for him; something Besser should realize if he genuinely wants the podcast to gain more traction.

• Like 2

Well, I wouldn't give the lady too much credit. She lost all credibility as soon as she perpetuated the false spin story about the Nevada convention (I'm assuming that's what she was referring to) saying the Bernie supporters were "violent" and "issuing threats" and their hostility is detrimental to Hillary's campaign. The Huffington Post was one of the many corporate media outlets creating this narrative when there is not one shred of evidence video/picture or other documentaion via arrests, etc of any incidents of violence or chairs "being thrown." It's neither surprising nor impressive that Isabelle is a columnist there.

I was excited to see i4h finally talk to the unfolding drama of this politics season, but it was disappointing for so many reasons, but the only one I'll address here is that everyone was playing it too safe. I expect more from Matt Besser considering how outspoken he is about his support for Hillary and how passionate he can be over (seemingly) less important issues yet even if it's about football, a subject I care nothing about, is able to relate to a grander principle. For the first time, I felt like no one was at the steering wheel and possibly too hesitant or fearful to say what they really felt.

the woman I was on with, besides being a Clinton advocate, is a best selling author, a Harvard graduate and a columnist for the Huffington Post.

Hey Dorkopotamis, how long ahead of time did you know you would be debating someone with that pedigree of credentials? **Did you just get cold-called up and get told "by the way you'll be up against best selling author who graduated from Harvard and is currently a columnist for HuffPo", because I would imagine that would intimidate and unnerve most people. Also, did you know ahead of time that you would not be going against just Besser, who you specifically called out as wanting to debate?

**ok listening back Besser didn't mention her credentials when introducing her, so I guess my other question is was your first thought along the lines of "Who the heck is Isabel Kaplan? I wanted to debate Matt Besser!".

For the first time, I felt like no one was at the steering wheel and possibly too hesitant or fearful to say what they really felt.

The focus of the debate was narrow. I dislike Hillary, but I can't really express that without leaving the topic. Also, I'd have weakened my position by making any attacks on Clinton at this point in the primary. That said, any pretense of a debate was quickly abandoned as the entire segment shifted to a needlessly adversarial conversation with no clear sides to speak of.

Shamp: I had expected to be arguing with Besser and you can hear the disappointment in my voice upon find out that I'd be going up against someone else. That said, no one ever told me that it would be with him and you know what they say about assumptions.

• Like 3

Ok, thanks. I think that's kind of a lame thing to do to a listener who imho bravely challenged a famously outspoken host to a debate on that host's own show, but whatevs.

• Like 4

Ok, thanks. I think that's kind of a lame thing to do to a listener who imho bravely challenged a famously outspoken host to a debate on that host's own show, but whatevs.

I think the bigger (directly related) issue is Matt serving as moderator when the whole root of the debate is him being outspokenly on one side. He asked one question (the worst-case scenario one) that felt like it was pretty clearly tilted to her side, and she got to do plugs (not even for her writing, but for Hillary support) at the end of the show. I thought it was an interesting discussion and I don't have strong feelings on either side, but I have to agree with the "kind of lame" assessment on that level.

• Like 2

Dorkopotomis - The debate question "is it time for Bernie to admit the primaries are over and it's time to unite against Trump or keep doing what he's doing" was slanted against you from the get. The implications that the race is over and that Hillary has her delegates in the bag is not just condescending, but dishonest. However, no one is promised a fair fight, so I let that one go. You could spend the whole hour discussing/dismantling the skewed information that the followup comments and questions were based upon, but ultimately, the primary reason for the podcast is entertainment. So my criticism "playing it too safe" was not directed (solely) at you or Isabelle, but for whatever reason, the discussion at large was low energy. If someone like Gabrus or Gemberling was there to have a strong opinion (and OWN it) to play off of, then it would've been at the very least entertaining. I only have high expectations because I'm a huge fan of the show and it's participants and of course truth in comedy.

• Like 1

...a Clinton advocate, ... and a columnist for the Huffington Post. Seems like not a dumb person.

You and I obviously have very different definitions of "dumb".

• Like 1

Just wanna say that I think Dorkopotamis did a good job of defending Bernie. There were 5 people in that studio that seem to have already decided that he was wrong before the debate started, and he handled it very well.

The main point of this whole thing is that Bernie shouldn't be endorsing Hillary until he drops out of the race, because he doesn't agree with her ideals. When he loses, he will tell people to vote for her, but that is him selecting the lesser of two evils. He doesn't support her, and he won't sacrifice his morals. She's not a good presidential candidate, and he disagree with her on far too many things to just outright endorse her. Hillary supporters are asking him to lie so that the DNC will win, and he's not going to do it. If people vote for Trump, that is not the fault of Bernie Sanders. He shouldn't have to put on a smile for Hillary so she can beat Trump. They're both bad choices. He's already agreed to drop out if she beats him. He won't be the third party. That's enough.

"Don't forget, Bernie Sanders supporters signed up for a political revolution. Hillary is the antithesis of the revolution." -Jill Stein

I wish Bernie would run as Hillary's VP. And I wish Case Closed wasn't SOOOOO FUCKING BORING.