🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 147 - Gamer: LIVE!

One other thing I was never clear on - does Kable win 30 battles because Kable is a brilliant soldier, or because Percy Jackson is a brilliant gamer? Wouldn't it be a much more interesting movie if Percy Jackson was controlling an avatar that wasn't a perfect killing machine? I would love a movie where we see John Leguizamo's character win 30 battles in Slayer, to emphasise the skill of the controller.

That was my thought too! Theoretically, you should have been able to connect Waffle Fucker to Percy Jackson and had the same result. I also think this would have been far more interesting. But, from what I saw, I was like, "Why are they all about Kable? Shouldn't they be cheering the gamer him/herself?" That would be like beating Mario Bros and forming a cult around Mario Mario.

mario_headbanging.gif

• Like 2

another, albeit brief, HDTGM appearance by mr. efren ramirez

29w1f6v.jpg

Are we sure that's not his twin?

Now, this may have been already addressed in the movie or in the episode, but I'll throw it out there anyway...

I have to question the efficacy of Slayers as a tool for rehabilitation. Basically, they take already violent criminals, subject them to months of psychological trauma, train them on the use of advanced weaponry, and if they prove to be the most resilient and the best at murdering people, they are...set free? Wow. That's incredibly dumb. I mean, an otherwise non-violent person who commits manslaughter or a crime of passion, could theoretically come out of Slayers as a full-blown, murderous, psychopath.

It's almost like the writers didn't put any thought into their half-baked, one-note movie about futuristic video games.

Again, I never finished the movie. This may have gotten addressed somewhere in it. I just assume, from what I saw, it probably wasn't.

It was sort of brought up in the talks between Sedgwick and Hall about the ramifications of doing this for criminals. I can't remember for sure but I want to say the guys were already on death row/lifers so there was no real chance of them getting out otherwise. A guy who commits a lesser crime like manslaughter, assault, etc., either has a parole date or strong chance of appeal, hence why they are offered the chance to be an NPC and try to survive one match. Plus, Hall's character has no intentions of letting the Slayers leave the game alive, and rigs it in various ways to achieve that. The public gets to feel like these guys are getting a shot at a second chance while at the same time seeing them fight to the death, which is what Hall wants as it generates huge ratings and profit. It's similar to The Running Man which had three "winners" that Richard Dawson kept promoting, when in actuality they had been killed and stuff in an abandoned area of the game zone.

That was my thought too! Theoretically, you should have been able to connect Waffle Fucker to Percy Jackson and had the same result. I also think this would have been far more interesting. But, from what I saw, I was like, "Why are they all about Kable? Shouldn't they be cheering the gamer him/herself?" That would be like beating Mario Bros and forming a cult around Mario Mario.

They do that as well when they show the pictures of the kid signing autographs and going to some type of party/premier, it's also why everyone is trying to buy the rights of Kable off him so as they can get some of the fame he's gotten. Then when Kable escapes, his reputation is ruined as he is labeled a cheater by the show.

• Like 2

mario_headbanging.gif

Yes! Later in the film Kable tells Percy that if he wants him to win, he needs to set him loose. This seems to suggest that Percy is controlling him well up to a point, but he's still not realising his full potential as a slayer because Percy is holding him back. This, combined with the dreaded 'ping' that haunts the lives of these soldiers, seems to make the controllers a liability rather than a strength. Kable makes it clear that he would win the game faster and more effectively if he wasn't being controlled by Percy. So what's up with the end of the film where Kable beats Dexter in the dance fight with the assistance of Percy Jackson controlling him (enhancing him?) from home? Percy is in his gamer den throwing punches, somehow still in contact with Kable, even though it's made clear that Dexter has overrode the control. The 'gamer' and their control is very tenuously established and used, whenever it's convenient.

• Like 1

They do that as well when they show the pictures of the kid signing autographs and going to some type of party/premier, it's also why everyone is trying to buy the rights of Kable off him so as they can get some of the fame he's gotten. Then when Kable escapes, his reputation is ruined as he is labeled a cheater by the show.

I think Kable is the one the show is promoting because the narrative of "murdery criminal fights 30 games to win freedom" is more easily marketable than "spoiled rich kid controls human plaything." But, yeah, there's that scene where Simon is in his weird 360 computer room, and he's getting all the random messages from people, so he definitely has his own celebrity status.

And I don't know that the show ruined his reputation as much as just the news that he used an illegal mod that would have given him an unfair advantage. In competitive gaming, cheaters aren't very popular. I remember a controversy over a team beating a final boss in a very popular MMO several years ago. They used a game-breaking exploit to get the world first kill. When their method was revealed, people were like, "Fuck those guys," and that group's kill was revoked and given to someone else. And that's in a game where there wasn't anything on the line other than bragging rights. So I could see other gamers turning on them, which is who all those "Fuck you, cheater" messages were from.

• Like 2

Shit, this all sounds like classic Hufflepuff denial to me. Although, I can't say I blame you.

It probably is. I wouldn't mind being a Hufflepuff but when you say you're Gryffindor for so many years it's hard to suddenly change that mindset.

• Like 2

You can also google the complete Pottermore sorting hat test, because each time it only asks you a couple of potential questions for a more accurate result.

Because I have been sorted into Hulfflepuff once and Ravenclaw twice (by Pottermore and the HP Experience). So I took the full quiz to find out and it gave me Racenclaw again.

I got Ravenclaw this time

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Yes! Later in the film Kable tells Percy that if he wants him to win, he needs to set him loose. This seems to suggest that Percy is controlling him well up to a point, but he's still not realising his full potential as a slayer because Percy is holding him back. This, combined with the dreaded 'ping' that haunts the lives of these soldiers, seems to make the controllers a liability rather than a strength. Kable makes it clear that he would win the game faster and more effectively if he wasn't being controlled by Percy. So what's up with the end of the film where Kable beats Dexter in the dance fight with the assistance of Percy Jackson controlling him (enhancing him?) from home? Percy is in his gamer den throwing punches, somehow still in contact with Kable, even though it's made clear that Dexter has overrode the control. The 'gamer' and their control is very tenuously established and used, whenever it's convenient.

It's about a 50/50 control between Kable and Percy at the start of the movie, as Kable is still able to talk and look around with his eyes, unlike other Slayers which are shown to be under less control. Yet when Kable is let completely loose, he isn't as great as he thought he was, although he is drunk during that match. As for the final fight, Dexter is controlling Kable during the start of their fight after he blew the nanite dust into his face, so he would have an easy fight to show for the audience, similar to how Joaquin Phoenix stabbed Russell Crowe before they entered the arena in Gladiator. So Percy jumping in to aid Kable worked at first, but Kable had to use Dexter's mind against himself by suggesting he think about Kable stabbing him, which Dexter unintentionally did, leading to his death.

• Like 1

CORRECTION:

Paul is on the record stating that one of the signs you're watching a bad movie is when someone starts skateboarding. Well, I just got through watching Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed and there were at least TWO instances where a character either skate or snow boards and that movie was fucking rad. This may be a case of the exception proving the rule, but I feel like his list might be in need of a revision.

tumblr_mzzoq7toh11sq5tezo1_500.gif

• Like 3

I just want to say...

ca98af1810f5b0a2e93f4805f0d2c654ac6e2cdf4d3658b418bfbf0ab3ab1a19.jpg

Also, I saw this movie in the theater and am so pumped that Emily is in this ep. Can't wait to listen!

Welcome back!!

I was very much saddened upon my return to not see you kicking around anymore, but very glad you are back.

oh_203.gif

• Like 5

Everyone's done this by now, right?

I am too part of Ravenclaw. My patronus is a dun mare and I'm packing a 14 1/2" elder wood wand with a unicorn hair and hard flexibility.

Odd that there are so many Ravenclaws. It must mean something.

Also I am back after a short break of Halloween insanity and sports festivals. I was hoping to come back to Lawnmower Man, because I don't have much to say about Gamer. Other than I bet real gamers are embarrassed to share a name with this movie. Also the movie here is called "GAMER" not even translated in Japanese phonetics or anything. I guess they didn't give two shits either.

Also Paul, I think you'd be better off getting a one day pass if you come to Japan. You can use it to ride the street cars, cable cars, subways, monorail, and trains as long as they are private lines in a give city/prefecture. Far more interesting than the bullet train everyday. Also much much much cheaper. I can fly to Tokyo and back for half the price of the bullet train.

• Like 2

CORRECTION:

Paul is on the record stating that one of the signs you're watching a bad movie is when someone starts skateboarding.

i only got around to watching "A girl walks home at night" on saturday night ... it's a stunning movie ... loved it

tumblr_nnhpxw8RSo1r0ndmlo1_500.gif

• Like 2

Hey,

Quick last minute announcement. We want to make Tomorrow's show in Anaheim a HDTGM Costume Party. Dress Up as your favorite HDTGM movie character. This will be fun.

We'll give out prizes!

-Paul

Damn you and your LAcentrism. Visit landlocked locales!

• Like 1

i only got around to watching "A girl walks home at night" on saturday night ... it's a stunning movie ... loved it

tumblr_nnhpxw8RSo1r0ndmlo1_500.gif

YES! I fucking love this movie!

• Like 3

Everyone's done this by now, right?

For the record, I'm a Ravenclaw with a Sparrowhawk patronus. What did everyone else get?

At risk of sounding like a noob...what? What is this? I'm sure it's an obvious reference, but it's lost on me like Seinfeld quotes.

• Like 1

I wish his other arm said, "I AM LEFT HERE WITH YOU"

That would make having the original tattoo totally worth it...

• Like 2

At risk of sounding like a noob...what? What is this? I'm sure it's an obvious reference, but it's lost on me like Seinfeld quotes.

It's from Harry Potter.

tumblr_n0eu54t33s1s9rvu3o1_500.gif

• Like 3

Before I forget...I wish you all a Merry 31st of October. May your enemies wet themselves in public and your markers always smell sweet.

gooby.png

• Like 2

jason's costume was the best ... that's all i'm sayin

You attended?!?! Lucky!

Because I wasn't in the audience, I'm just going to assume Zouks went as Angela from Sleepaway Camp or Bohdai from Solarbabies. Those make the most sense.

• Like 2

Something that i don't think was ever clarified (though maybe I just missed it):

The point of this game is that someone on death row gets fully exonerated if they beat the entire game. Presumably the people who will be able to beat the game are the most exceptionally ruthless cold-blooded killers out there, who are able to kill quickly and indiscriminately. So, those are the guys we are going to release back in to society? The very very worst ones? Seems poorly thought out.

• Like 1

Something that i don't think was ever clarified (though maybe I just missed it):

The point of this game is that someone on death row gets fully exonerated if they beat the entire game. Presumably the people who will be able to beat the game are the most exceptionally ruthless cold-blooded killers out there, who are able to kill quickly and indiscriminately. So, those are the guys we are going to release back in to society? The very very worst ones? Seems poorly thought out.

But they are controlled by another person, so really, the person controlling them would be the hardcore killer. The bigger problem I see is with the idea of death row in general. Since 1973, 144 people on death row have been exonerated, which is 1.6% of death row inmates. However, some studies suggest that it might be closer to 4%, which would be roughly 1 in every 25 death row inmates. That means that at least a few of the playable characters are innocent (including, apparently, Kable), but worse than that, it means a significant chunk of the NPCs are just innocent people there as cannon fodder for dumb rich kids.

• Like 4

Long time...first time...blah blah blah

If we are to postulate that Gamer shares a universe with Death Race/Fast and Furious/Crank and (as mentioned in the episode) the antagonist of Crank 2 is a body-less head, that Terry Crews very easily could have had his head cut off, kept alive via Crank 2 methods and then reattached?

• Like 1