🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 1 — Analyze Phish

I, too, did not care for Phish. Until, on 10-10-10, a trustworthy friend took me to a show, and I was hooked. It's my experience that the straightforward rock/funk songs are much more accessible to a new listener. I go to shows to boogie, not have my face melted. I was at the 'S' show Labor Day weekend; funny, but the songs were not my cup of tea. Chalk Dust Torture, Mike's Song, AC/DC Bag, Wolfman's Brother, Tweezer, Bathtub Gin, Funky Bitch, Ocelot. Many more in that vein. That being said, I'm not sure I would've been converted just having heard those awesome songs sitting around the house. BEING THERE changed my perception entirely (and I was sober). Scott: next time they come around, just go! You will not regret it!
This show was great, as is anytime Harris and Scott get together. Looking forward to many more!

As a huge phan of this band, I like it when people don't like them...easier for me to get a ticket. I learned my lesson with the Grateful Dead. Got lots of people to like them as others fans did as well. The scene changed for the worse. The venues had to get bigger. The scum bags joined the scene and ruined it.
While this was fun to listen to, I hope you don't convince anyone to like Phish or any of their off-shoot bands. I will not talk about anything you failed to mention.
Dude, Sssshhhhhh! Let's just keep them our little secret. I wonder if I saw you at Indio. Take it easy and keep going to those other bands' shows. Thanks, JAZ

I am a huge Phish fan & my wife is definitely not...that said we were both excited about this podcast as I have on numerous attempts tried to get her on board. Scott poses some very good questions as a non-phan in terms of musical style, culture, live vs. studio, influence, etc. Harrison seriously misses the mark in adequately describing what it is that makes this band so amazing. Harrison is just another rookie fan that unfortunately fits the bill on a number of stereo-types and has no business even attempting to explain this band's history, musical influence, ability, style....and I could go on and on.
I'm not all the way through this first episode am I'm already cringing thinking this dude has another entire episode...at this point, I wouldn't blame Scott one bit for not liking Phish...

• Like 1

Hey guys,

Just sporadically logging in to tell Aaron Goble to go fuck himself.

Thanks!

harris

Yeah, phuck off Goble.

I still love you Harris.

I don't know how I missed hearing about the Earwolf Presents podcasts, but I did. I heard Paul Scheer and Jeff Ullrich talking about it on the most recent episode of the Wolf Den. So I went and subscribed immediately thinking I'd only get Gelmania and Improv4Humans. But then I saw Analyze Phish. I don't remember hearing about it, but once I saw that Scott was co-hosting it, I was in. Harris is hilarious as well, and they play off each other really great, but just getting more Scott content (here to forth known as Scot-tent) was awesome. I know we get a dose of him every week on Comedy Bang Bang, but he's so god damn funny in my opinion, that one podcast a week isn't nearly enough. Can't wait to hear the next episodes of all the EP Podcasts, especially Analyze Phish.

I HIGHLY reccomend playing for him DESTINY UNBOUND from Superball, and CHALKDUST PRELUDE, a song that was only played twice as a way to introduce their song Chalkdust Torture. The most notable version is from July 11th, 2000 from a venue in Ohio I believe.

These two songs in combination with the STUDIO VERSION OF AXILLA II (NOT AXILLA!!!) should help in understanding why Phish is worth respecting and keeping in one's mind as good group of musicians

Hey! I'm new to Comedy Bang Bang and was very pleasantly surprised to find an entire conversation devoted to my favorite band since 1991. Early Phish songs are really about composition (Trey's major) and the playing and not the lyrics. Yeah, Reba is one of my favorite Phish tunes but it's not one I would use to introduce someone to the band. Sand would be a good place to look for lyrics that aren't laughable.

Highlight the musicianship and the improv; that's what its really all about. Play the peak of the Ghost jam from 12/31/10, Steam jam from Dicks, sections of Harry Hood...

When is the next chapter? Can I help pick tunes for it?

Harris, you wrote that line in Eastbound & Down Season 1 when Clegg is like "Yeah man I've just been tourin with Widespread Panic for a while" didn't you, you wook?

I feel like you should have explained Gamehenge more to Scott. And the fact that it is actually a rock opera pretty much. Trey's solo on Chalkdust Torture on A Live One is probably worth showing him too.

Also, when he was asking about songs that aren't on albums you should have mentioned that they have about 100 of those songs.

I don't get how someone who claims to have been in a band can listen to Phish and not appreciate it more than this guy does. It's actually a bit embarrassing.

www.mixcloud.com/robertchampion - Go back to school

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this