🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Off-Week 4 (Cakebug Tranch's Pick)

It's a prerequisite for posting on the boards.

giphy.gif

Well, I guess I'll have to figure out how to do it.

• Like 1

Wait, what's your excuse?

tumblr_mcgwudwTIw1rx6739o1_500.gif

I came to 'Hamilton' late - like, maybe early 2016 - and while I knew L-MM had more stuff out there, I just didn't want to commit to what would evolve into a new obsession. So I held off. I'm not avoiding it, just looking for the right time when i can give it my full attention. Finding 'Hamilton' just made me one of those insufferable 'always talking about it' guys and I didn't want to do that with an old one. Also, we were pregnant with our first child when ITH first came out (and I was in the last year of my PhD) so I was distracted. That's all I got.

ETA - I do listen to 'The Room Where It's Happening' podcast but it's starting to lose me. Anyone else listen?

• Like 5

I came to 'Hamilton' late - like, maybe early 2016 - and while I knew L-MM had more stuff out there, I just didn't want to commit to what would evolve into a new obsession. So I held off. I'm not avoiding it, just looking for the right time when i can give it my full attention. Finding 'Hamilton' just made me one of those insufferable 'always talking about it' guys and I didn't want to do that with an old one. Also, we were pregnant with our first child when ITH first came out (and I was in the last year of my PhD) so I was distracted. That's all I got.

I haven't gotten into Hamilton, even though I know I'll enjoy it, because it's hard for me to get into just the music of a musical without actually seeing the musical itself. Once I see it and enjoy it, I can listen to the music from it all day long (as evidenced by the fact that I've been listening to the music from these musicals for the last month and still have the La La Land soundtrack in heavy rotation). But in most musicals, the songs are a storytelling technique, and it feels lacking to me if I don't see/hear them in context.

• Like 7

I haven't gotten into Hamilton, even though I know I'll enjoy it, because it's hard for me to get into just the music of a musical without actually seeing the musical itself. Once I see it and enjoy it, I can listen to the music from it all day long (as evidenced by the fact that I've been listening to the music from these musicals for the last month and still have the La La Land soundtrack in heavy rotation). But in most musicals, the songs are a storytelling technique, and it feels lacking to me if I don't see/hear them in context.

I'm listening to La La Land right meow!

• Like 6

'Hamilton' is a pretty brilliant isolated listen - every song from the show except one small one are on the soundtrack and it's brilliantly recorded. While the visuals are incredible I don't think you need them to enjoy the show. Cameron argues this better than I do, so we'll wait for him. And I got the 'La La Land' soundtrack yesterday. Also, I relistened to the 'Across the Universe' soundtrack yesterday too and stand by it...

• Like 3

ETA - I do listen to 'The Room Where It's Happening' podcast but it's starting to lose me. Anyone else listen?

I'm an avid listener to that podcast!

I agree with CakeBug, this musical in particular really goes well with just listening to it. The whole story is basically there for you and you aren't missing really anything (except the one song that he mentioned). And according to those who have seen it, it prepares you for the live version a lot more because you are more focused on the visuals and the little things happening rather than just trying to keep up with all of the words.

• Like 4

tumblr_mcgwudwTIw1rx6739o1_500.gif

I would just warn you, that while ITH is wonderful, it really isn't as consistent as Hamilton. It's about 90% genius, 10% really, really good. Which is awesome, but I want to make sure your expectations aren't Hamilton high. Also, since it is a more traditional Musical, you may have to consult Wikipedia to get a good grasp of the characters. In my case, I listened to it first, read the synopsis, and then re-listened. It was very helpful.

As far as your other point, I was listening to The Room Where it's Happening, but since I quit my former job, I don't have as much time as I used to for podcasts. And, as I was also feeling like it was losing its luster, it became a casualty of my new life. Maybe one day I'll revisit it, I'm not sure. I also don't think I'm much of a fan of single subject podcasts (e.g. Gilmore Guys). At some point I feel like it gets talked out, and it just becomes redundant. This is especially true if I'm not even able to participate in the discussion.

CakeBug, Tompsanks, and I were talking about this over on Letterboxd. The thing with Hamilton is it is all music. All the songs contribute to the storytelling, so you don't really get lost. And, as I was telling them, I almost don't want to see it now because I have it perfectly staged in my head. Of course, that's just me.

• Like 3

I'm an avid listener to that podcast!

I'm a few eps behind, and while I like it a bunch, I'm starting to tire of it a bit. Trayvon is a funny guy and is super passionate about the show, but it's starting to bug me more and more in the way he gets a little defensive whenever anyone else offers knowledge about the show, as though he's the font of all 'Hamilton' knowledge. The amount of times I've muttered 'Let the guest talk, Trayvon' is starting to pile up. Also, he tends to repeat the same stories, which are new to his guests, but when you're releasing a podcast every week, it is repetitive for the listener.

They're minor quibbles, though. It's a great format, and I really liked the Jimmy/Oliver Pardo episode. I just find myself getting annoyed by his clear inexperience as an interviewer. It's like Jimmy Pardo says on 'Never Not Funny' to Matt Bellknap, "you're not in the 'Hamilton' cast!"

ETA - yeah, what Cameron said about single-topic podcasts, and apply it to Trayvon's repeating stories on this podcast.

• Like 2

Cameron argues this better than I do, so we'll wait for him.

I don't know that I did... I'm feeling kind of lazy right now. But I think Taylor did a real good job of it! :)

• Like 2

I don't know that I did... I'm feeling kind of lazy right now. But I think Taylor did a real good job of it! :)

I thought you'd just snip your argument from letterboxd. But if you're even too lazy for that...

giphy.gif

• Like 3

I'm a few eps behind, and while I like it a bunch, I'm starting to tire of it a bit. Trayvon is a funny guy and is super passionate about the show, but it's starting to bug me more and more in the way he gets a little defensive whenever anyone else offers knowledge about the show, as though he's the font of all 'Hamilton' knowledge. The amount of times I've muttered 'Let the guest talk, Trayvon' is starting to pile up. Also, he tends to repeat the same stories, which are new to his guests, but when you're releasing a podcast every week, it is repetitive for the listener.

They're minor quibbles, though. It's a great format, and I really liked the Jimmy/Oliver Pardo episode. I just find myself getting annoyed by his clear inexperience as an interviewer. It's like Jimmy Pardo says on 'Never Not Funny' to Matt Bellknap, "you're not in the 'Hamilton' cast!"

ETA - yeah, what Cameron said about single-topic podcasts, and apply it to Trayvon's repeating stories on this podcast.

I get that. I guess I've really gotten good at tuning him out specifically and just listening to the guests. Also because I know a lot of podcast hosts will repeat stories (or like in Jackie Kashian's case will tell a story on two podcasts because I listen to both of her's) so I have really gotten used to that. I think it also has a lot to do with who the guests are, because I notice some don't offer up as much information like in a conversation and are just waiting for his questions which really highlights his inexperience as an interviewer. I think his Hasan Minhaj, Gabby Sidibe, Rachel Bloom, and the most recent one with Mike Still are the best ones because they aren't just about the musical but about how relevant the musical is in today's culture (whether it be the musical world or the political world).

But Oliver Pardo is officially my favorite podcast guest of all time and I could listen to that kid correct Jimmy on little Hamilton info for the rest of my life.

• Like 2

I thought you'd just snip your argument from letterboxd. But if you're even too lazy for that...

I don't even remember where we were talking about that. I thought it was on your review of Godzilla (because of course that's where we would talk about it), but that's a whole other bag of Hamilton nonsense. BTW--I'm glad to see you've made a full recovery.

• Like 2

Brooklyn99Insider-Peralta-Boyle-Sucker+for+High+Five+1.gif

• Like 4

But Oliver Pardo is officially my favorite podcast guest of all time and I could listen to that kid correct Jimmy on little Hamilton info for the rest of my life.

Yep, when Oliver told Jimmy and Trayvon that they say 'fuck' in 'Hamilton' and both adults said 'no they don't', and then Trayvon tried to pretend that he knew the answer when he totally didn't (Hercules Mulligan says it in 'Guns and Ships') I was all

tumblr_n2yo8qPsCX1qit2glo1_500.gif

• Like 2

I don't even remember where we were talking about that. I thought it was on your review of Godzilla (because of course that's where we would talk about it), but that's a whole other bag of Hamilton nonsense. BTW--I'm glad to see you've made a full recovery.

It was on my Moana review. But I'm too lazy to go look for it myself.

• Like 1

Yep, when Oliver told Jimmy and Trayvon that they say 'fuck' in 'Hamilton' and both adults said 'no they don't', and then Trayvon tried to pretend that he knew the answer when he totally didn't (Hercules Mulligan says it in 'Guns and Ships') I was all

tumblr_n2yo8qPsCX1qit2glo1_500.gif

In Travon's defense I think he just genuinely forgot lol cause I even forgot about Hercules saying it in Guns And Ships! But I will never forget Washington On Your Side because that's my favorite song and it's so fun to yell out "SOUTHERN MOTHERFUCKIN DEMOCRATIC REPUBLICANS!"

• Like 2

I got unlazy:

Cameron says:

The nice thing about playing Hamilton over and over again is right when you feel like you should stop listening to it lest you get tired of it (even though you won't) you can start listening to In the Heights. Sure, you won't like it as much at first, but after a couple of listens and you get to know the characters, it will grow on you. Now, I get tears and chills every time I hear Sonny and Pete struggle to close the bodega' s shutters in "Blackout" And THEN, when you feel like you might get sick of In the Heights, you get 21 Chump Street sure it's only 15 minutes long, but it's 15 minutes of awesome. And that's when you say to yourself, "Remember when I used to listen to Hamilton at least once a day? I should listen to it again for old time's sake" and it all begins again.

I will say this though, I've heard a lot of people (not just Shaksper) say it's either better to listen to the soundtrack first or that they wish they had. I almost don't want to see it because I have it all staged so perfectly in my head.

Also, proud moment, when my four-year-old sings "My Shot" with me in the car--much to my wife's chagrin.

ETA: shaksper is me, on the other site. Damn I suck at usernames.

• Like 2

Oh, right! That actually makes sense and would have been relevant to the conversation. No wonder I didn't think to look there.

• Like 4

ETA: shaksper is me, on the other site. Damn I suck at usernames.

That's okay. One of you guys called me by my real name on there, and it kind of weirded me out for a second. Then I remembered that it wouldn't make sense in the context of Letterboxd for you to call me Fister

• Like 3