🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays-Week 6-Jesus Christ Superstar

Little known fact: Peter had a stutter.

As I've pointed out in an earlier thread, THIS Peter also had a fluffer.

fc298ab1379f17a4a2f19f85f77a67d8.gif

• Like 5

Little known fact: Peter had a stutter.

Wait, are you saying Peter denied him just once, but people thought it was 3 times due to his stutter?

• Like 4

Wait, are you saying Peter denied him just once, but people thought it was 3 times due to his stutter?

I think Cam was making a joke. Either that, or this is the WORST STUTTER EVER.

https://www.stlyrics...etersdenial.htm

Mary wonders the same thing as us: "I wonder how he knew."

• Like 4

I think Cam was making a joke. Either that, or this is the WORST STUTTER EVER.

https://www.stlyrics...etersdenial.htm

Mary wonders the same thing as us: "I wonder how he knew."

I just noticed this regarding Peter's denial.

It's what he told us you would do.

I wonder how he knew.

I wonder how she knew. She wasn't at the last supper. OR WAS SHE. We're back on the case, fellas!

• Like 6

I wonder how she knew. She wasn't at the last supper. OR WAS SHE. We're back on the case, fellas!

SmartForTwo_DaVinciCodeH100.jpg

• Like 4

76776-Loki-OH-YES-gif-Imgur-zLqj.gif

• Like 4

I've been following these MM threads for 2, 3 weeks. Love them. Keep it up.

Going to weigh in with some stray observations, since I haven't watched (or listened to) JCS in years. I think it gets tagged with the "rock opera" tag because of the similar themed but more traditional musical/folky show GODSPELL. JCS is kind of the start of the "British invasion" of Webber/Rice/Mackintosh musicals that peaked with Opera (for ALW) and Miss Saigon (for Mackintosh) where it became spectacle over quality. From a musical nerd historical perspective, starting in the late 60s/early 70s Broadway wasn't making a whole lot of money and that's when you started seeing the more stripped down shows (ala The Fantasticks, Godspell, etc). ALW and Mackintosh kind of flipped that on it's head with their shows that are more about the SHOW! then about the music. You ask people what they remember about Opera, Les Miz or Saigon and you get "the chandelier" or "the barricade" or "Javert's suicide" or "the helicopter". You are seeing the genesis of that with JCS, which is why it probably works better as a stage show then it does as a movie. The movie, imo, tries to hard to skirt that line between old Hollywood Biblical epic and new Broadway spectacle.

• Like 6

I've been following these MM threads for 2, 3 weeks. Love them. Keep it up.

Going to weigh in with some stray observations, since I haven't watched (or listened to) JCS in years. I think it gets tagged with the "rock opera" tag because of the similar themed but more traditional musical/folky show GODSPELL. JCS is kind of the start of the "British invasion" of Webber/Rice/Mackintosh musicals that peaked with Opera (for ALW) and Miss Saigon (for Mackintosh) where it became spectacle over quality. From a musical nerd historical perspective, starting in the late 60s/early 70s Broadway wasn't making a whole lot of money and that's when you started seeing the more stripped down shows (ala The Fantasticks, Godspell, etc). ALW and Mackintosh kind of flipped that on it's head with their shows that are more about the SHOW! then about the music. You ask people what they remember about Opera, Les Miz or Saigon and you get "the chandelier" or "the barricade" or "Javert's suicide" or "the helicopter". You are seeing the genesis of that with JCS, which is why it probably works better as a stage show then it does as a movie. The movie, imo, tries to hard to skirt that line between old Hollywood Biblical epic and new Broadway spectacle.

That's an interesting point about it becoming more about "the show" than the music. Like I liked quite a few songs in this, but there were definitely parts where I was like, "this just sounds like me making up a song on the spot to annoy my family."

Please feel free to join the discussion anytime! :)

• Like 6

there were definitely parts where I was like, "this just sounds like me making up a song on the spot to annoy my family."

Yes! That's the EXACT problem I had with it. I couldn't put my finger on it, but you nailed it.

• Like 4

Yes! That's the EXACT problem I had with it. I couldn't put my finger on it, but you nailed it.

I'm an expert at obnoxious, off-the-cuff singing.

We recognize our own ;)

• Like 5

I'm an expert at obnoxious, off-the-cuff singing.

Ah, page 17 of the secret How to Be An Awesome Dad handbook. Where would we be without our ability to annoy our wives and mortify our children all at once?

• Like 4

You ask people what they remember about Opera, Les Miz or Saigon and you get "the chandelier" or "the barricade" or "Javert's suicide" or "the helicopter". You are seeing the genesis of that with JCS, which is why it probably works better as a stage show then it does as a movie. The movie, imo, tries to hard to skirt that line between old Hollywood Biblical epic and new Broadway spectacle.

Cats = giant floating tire. Kind of like a reverse chandelier.

That's an interesting point about it becoming more about "the show" than the music. Like I liked quite a few songs in this, but there were definitely parts where I was like, "this just sounds like me making up a song on the spot to annoy my family."

"There goes dad again with his ad libbed hysterical sobbing."

• Like 6

"There goes dad again with his ad libbed hysterical sobbing."

I hate to admit it, but only a small amount of the hysterical sobbing is ad libbed. I think you'll find that I'm a manipulative son of a bitch.

• Like 6

I am one of those "make it up on the spot" singers and it is a curse when working with kids. They'll either start singing my gibberish songs or ask me to sing them again when I have no idea what I sang.

Please feel free to join the discussion anytime! :)

Tqs4FiQ.gif

• Like 5

As I've mentioned my mother had a huge crush on Ted Neeley and would often tell me and my sister about it. I guess I can see how he'd be considered handsome but as many of us have already pointed it put his dead sad eyes are kinda off putting.

jc_neeley.jpg

I want to take a quick poll of what everyone here thinks, is Ted Neeley, handsome or not?

• Like 4

jc_neeley.jpg

I want to take a quick poll of what everyone here thinks, is Ted Neeley, handsome or not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsPDAlN4H5E

^what my mind went right to about the poll..lol

I woudn't say he's totally ugly, but definitely not my type. Going to say "not"

• Like 5

As I've mentioned my mother had a huge crush on Ted Neeley and would often tell me and my sister about it. I guess I can see how he'd be considered handsome but as many of us have already pointed it put his dead sad eyes are kinda off putting.

jc_neeley.jpg

He looks like someone hit Luke Evans in the face until his soul died.

• Like 5

First of all, exactly how often would your mother tell you that? Was this a weekly thing or did she just save it up for Holidays?

As for Neeley...

I mean, he's alright, I guess, but if I were going to have sex with one onscreen deity (which I assume is what you're really asking), I'd have to go with Keanu Reeves as Buddha.

f95cdd8351246b4f34778b7a0caf08d5.jpg

• Like 1

He looks like someone hit Luke Evans in the face until his soul died.

I just watched that new Beauty and Beast clip and you are spot on about Luke Evans.

First of all, exactly how often would your mother tell you that? Was this a weekly thing or did she just save it up for Holidays?

Literally anytime the subject of Jesus Christ Superstar would come up. It would vary in degrees of bluntness from

"Hey Mom, Jesus Christ Superstar will be at the QE Theatre."

"I wonder how handsome their Jesus will be"

to

"Look Mom, Jesus Christ Superstar is on Bravo on Saturday."

"Oh, let's record it. When I was your age I had a huge crush on the fellow that played Jesus."

In fact when I told her last week that I had just rewatched it she remarked how she hadn't seen it in years but she watched it a lot in her youth because of Ted Neeley.

• Like 6

I guess he's good looking enough, but not hot. He has pretty hair though.

• Like 5

I just watched that new Beauty and Beast clip and you are spot on about Luke Evans.

Literally anytime the subject of Jesus Christ Superstar would come up. It would vary in degrees of bluntness from

"Hey Mom, Jesus Christ Superstar will be at the QE Theatre."

"I wonder how handsome their Jesus will be"

to

"Look Mom, Jesus Christ Superstar is on Bravo on Saturday."

"Oh, let's record it. When I was your age I had a huge crush on the fellow that played Jesus."

In fact when I told her last week that I had just rewatched it she remarked how she hadn't seen it in years but she watched it a lot in her youth because of Ted Neeley.

I've got great news for you! I've got your Mother's Day covered!

You are welcome!

• Like 6

I've got great news for you! I've got your Mother's Day covered!

You are welcome!

Oh good, they picked a photo that showcases his triangle eyes.

FSP.jpg

• Like 7

I feel a large part of his preparation for this role was to look at many paintings and frescos of Jesus and really try to capture the lifeless eyes of a painting.

Hold the phone! I went to wikipedia to see how old he is now and I came across this,

"Having also performed the title role in Tommy in Los Angeles, Neeley was led to reprise the title role in the film version of Jesus Christ Superstar"

From fake Jesus to real Jesus! Let's all take a moment to imagine him playing Tommy instead of Roger Daltrey.

• Like 6