🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 59 Passing Strange

So between this and The Last Five Years we've done two shows in a row that are basically fictionalized autobiographies.  What's next?

16 hours ago, Cakebug Tranch said:

Tom, how was the experience of the live performance? I imagine with a half-full audience it wasn't as riotous as the filmed version.  What do you recall?

I had a blast!  Even though it wasn't a full house, the energy was awesome.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Cinco DeNio said:

So between this and The Last Five Years we've done two shows in a row that are basically fictionalized autobiographies.  What's next?

Purple Rain? 

Also, these were both film versions of stage production. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

Purple Rain? 

Also, these were both film versions of stage production. 

I should have been more specific.  I mean shows written by the people who are their subjects.  The stage productions were written by their subjects.  There are movies like Coal Miner's Daughter, What's Love Got to Do With It? and others that are based on peoples' autobiographies but not written by the subjects.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Cinco DeNio said:

I believe I am the next pick and now may have to rethink everything!

• Like 4

Great Musical, I really enjoyed it a lot. The Cast and The Band were on point... The Opening song (Prologue "We Might Play all Night") was one of my favourites and I hope it was longer.

About what was said before... I feel I can't really say if Spike Lee significantly help on improving the overall quality of the show but I did enjoyed learning ( when I whatched the credits ) that the D.P. or cinematographer was Matthew Libatique who I love since Requiem For A Dream up to the recent A Star Is Born. IMHO I want to give credit to Matty for doing his thing, because I feel his work showed and he helped capture a lot of key moments in the best way possible. 

23 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

No I clocked that from near the start (anytime a protagonist is unnamed brace yourself for a big reveal later) and I want to even say there is a reference to it early on. I can't remember what exactly, I think maybe referring to choir group as we. The one thing I liked that I didn't fully notice right away was the boy was wearing a red shirt the entire time and Stew is wearing a red shirt as well. 

13 hours ago, Cinco DeNio said:

They had to signal that externally because "vatsinsideisjustalie".

Also both Stew (The Narrator) and Youth wear the same red Converse Chuck Taylor's All-Star Shoes 

If anyone here is interested... Someone uploaded the entire Tony Awards from 2008 to YouTube. That Year Passing Strange was nominated... Their performance starts at the 22min:38sec mark

https://youtu.be/d5YUhlHRF7o

• Like 5

6 hours ago, IMAHUGEHDTGMFAN said:

Great Musical, I really enjoyed it a lot. The Cast and The Band were on point... The Opening song (Prologue "We Might Play all Night") was one of my favourites and I hope it was longer.

About what was said before... I feel I can't really say if Spike Lee significantly help on improving the overall quality of the show but I did enjoyed learning ( when I whatched the credits ) that the D.P. or cinematographer was Matthew Libatique who I love since Requiem For A Dream up to the recent A Star Is Born. IMHO I want to give credit to Matty for doing his thing, because I feel his work showed and he helped capture a lot of key moments in the best way possible. 

Also both Stew (The Narrator) and Youth wear the same red Converse Chuck Taylor's All-Star Shoes 

If anyone here is interested... Someone uploaded the entire Tony Awards from 2008 to YouTube. That Year Passing Strange was nominated... Their performance starts at the 22min:38sec mark

https://youtu.be/d5YUhlHRF7o

I didn't know that about Matthew Libatique.  I loved Requiem for a Dream.  Didn't care for A Star is Born but that's not his fault. 🙂  I'll have to check out his other movies.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cinco DeNio said:

I didn't know that about Matthew Libatique.  I loved Requiem for a Dream.  Didn't care for A Star is Born but that's not his fault. 🙂  I'll have to check out his other movies.

Don't miss The Fountain, Black Swan and Ruby Sparks

• Like 1

I just wanted to say I just bought the soundtrack and I love it 🥰 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/15/2019 at 12:02 PM, IMAHUGEHDTGMFAN said:

Don't miss The Fountain, Black Swan and Ruby Sparks

Saw Black Swan. Will check out the others.

On 2/16/2019 at 8:52 AM, Cameron H. said:

I just wanted to say I just bought the soundtrack and I love it 🥰 

Me too! And while I'm a bit sad that this pick didn't generate all that much discussion (I dipped out for a week, accidentally), I'm very happy that everyone liked it! I think we can all agree that this was my second best ever MM pick!

source.gif

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Cakebug Tranch said:

Me too! And while I'm a bit sad that this pick didn't generate all that much discussion (I dipped out for a week, accidentally), I'm very happy that everyone liked it! I think we can all agree that this was my second best ever MM pick!

I like the music more and more each time I hear it! Thanks for picking this as I would not have known it existed :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cameron H. said:

I like the music more and more each time I hear it! Thanks for picking this as I would not have known it existed :) 

I think this would be like Repo! The Genetic Opera for me where I get far more out of the music without the visual “distractions”. The Last Five Years as well, come to think of it.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Cakebug Tranch said:

source.gif

Thank you for making us watch this! I really did love it. 

I meant Passing Strange not the movie that shall not be named...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Cakebug Tranch said:

source.gif

Weird.  I don't remember that scene in the movie with Ann-Margret at all!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Weird.  I don't remember that scene in the movie with Ann-Margret at all!

Taylor Anne's going to be so mad that you brought up baked beans

• Like 1

Just now, Cakebug Tranch said:

Taylor Anne's going to be so mad that you brought up baked beans

In for a penny, in for a pound

1543719580962.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1