🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Episode 242.5 - Prequel to Episode 243

Just now, Cameron H. said:

I know that as a society we still have a long way to go, but it really is amazing how much has changed in a relatively short period of time. Even early HDTGM episodes have stuff that I’m sure they would no longer say.

For sure. I watched Party Down as it aired (there are dozens of us!). I definitely was not using that word with that meaning by 2009 but it was common enough that I don't remember it sticking out at the time.

I listened to the full run of HDTGM last year and was really surprised at some of the language in the early episodes.

• Like 2

I have not watched The Floor is Lava show, but I have played this game since high school. When I was 18 I attempted to carry a football player on my back across a high school basketball gym, I am 5' 2 2.5" and he fell on me with me landing on my chest. My back has never been without pain since. What a nightmare, but the show sounds fun!

• Like 1

I  have zero idea on how to respond to someone's comment, but to the awesome person who took a step back because they felt down, you are loved, your feelings are valid, and this group will be here for you. I will anyway. I work with some garbage people, and I use this group and podcast as my therapy. I listen all day long to the back catalog. This is what keeps me sane. I literally take 2 mg of Xanax at 9:00 am I am so stressed. Feel free to message me anytime and I will give you a great pep talk! It is one of my favorite things to do!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, grudlian. said:

For sure. I watched Party Down as it aired (there are dozens of us!). I definitely was not using that word with that meaning by 2009 but it was common enough that I don't remember it sticking out at the time.

I listened to the full run of HDTGM last year and was really surprised at some of the language in the early episodes.

I love (or at least like) most of the Judd Apatow comedies. Still think Freaks and Geeks is a masterpiece. But films like Knocked up, Superbad, etc. have a SHITLOAD of gay panic jokes. I still enjoy This Is the End, but that has jokes about rape that are super uncomfortable. Really, I don’t think comedies got less problematic (if you’re viewing it through that lens) until 2015 or maybe even later.

A lot of the time it doesn’t mean—if I liked the films/shows—that I won’t watch them again, it just makes me remember “oof, this is a record of when that humor was OK.” It’s just the pitfalls of making “edgy” comedy.

• Like 1

Also, I know The Boyfriend School was last week but I watched it after the episode thread had been done. I enjoyed it, but I almost turned it off because Steve Guttenberg’s chemo makeup was so disturbing and—like June—the dinner scene made me want to puke. I actually fast-forwarded some of it.

7 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

I love (or at least like) most of the Judd Apatow comedies. Still think Freaks and Geeks is a masterpiece. But films like Knocked up, Superbad, etc. have a SHITLOAD of gay panic jokes. I still enjoy This Is the End, but that has jokes about rape that are super uncomfortable. Really, I don’t think comedies got less problematic (if you’re viewing it through that lens) until 2015 or maybe even later.

A lot of the time it doesn’t mean—if I liked the films/shows—that I won’t watch them again, it just makes me remember “oof, this is a record of when that humor was OK.” It’s just the pitfalls of making “edgy” comedy.

Yeah. I watched Freaks And Geeks again a couple weeks ago and it still holds up. There is the one episode where Ken wonders if he's gay which, is not great, but with the context of being 1981, it's not bad.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, grudlian. said:

There is the one episode where Ken wonders if he's gay which, is not great, but with the context of being 1981, it's not bad.

Is that the one where his girlfriend is a hermaphrodite? Don’t remember everything about that episode, but give the show props for even going there (I remember that was one of many things that NBC did not like).

2 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

Is that the one where his girlfriend is a hermaphrodite? Don’t remember everything about that episode, but give the show props for even going there (I remember that was one of many things that NBC did not like).

Yes, that's the one.