🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 65 — Howard the Duck: LIVE!

Recorded live at Largo in Los Angeles, Kristen Schaal joins Paul, June, & Jason to ask burning questions regarding duck boobies, how a duck’s penis works, and duck evolution in the world of Howard the Duck. Everything from Lea Thompson’s strange sexual relationship with Howard the Duck to the disturbing Jeffrey Jones electricity scene will be discussed. Oh yeah, there will be duck puns! Be sure to check out the screen grabs that were discussed in this episode on the Earwolf page!

I love her other work too, but I don't think I'll ever be able to see Kristen Schaal's name without thinking "Kristen Schaal is a horse!"

Looking forward to this episode.

• Like 1

It's great you guys were comfortable enough with yourselves as comedians to make so many puns. I think you really came out of your shells.

• Like 2

Great episode and as a child we taped this off of HBO when it aired, and watched it dozens of times. Then I never saw it from age 8 or 9....so I had no idea it's George Lucas. Shame on me.

Great episode, really good energy, Schaal was a great guest. The gang was on top form. Trainwreck of a film.

Probably the most WTF premise for a movie since Super Mario Bros where a meteor smashes into a planet and creates a parallel dimension because 'Fuck You. Science.'

So Howard gets sucked to Earth because...lasers?

But lasers are just light, not fucking tractor beams. And why did it only drag Howard, since there were clearly other objects and ducks closer to the beam than him. And how did the laser, which again, just light, go through fucking walls and buildings? And how was Howard dragged through the vacuum of space without freezing or suffocating?

Why the shitballs did the computer at the end know how long it'd take the Dark Overlords of the Universe to arrive? Why did it even have that function; Jeffrey Jones said it was supposed to measure gas around Alpha Centauri. And is anybody elses left side going numb thinking about this movidkf;hsdfhkdsj,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Like 3

I haven't seen this movie in about 20 years but the comic it's based on is one of my favorites. Unfortunately for the film-goer's experience, Lucas is trying to telegraph a lot of what makes the comic so stellar but, in format that he has a very limited skill-set for. Lucas needed to be a much better writer for this movie to have worked. He is trying to cram many of the great elements of the comic into a 110 minutes movie, and there just isn't time for all of it. You can't make a woman fall in love with a duck so quickly!

What makes the comic great is its critique of modern American society. In the comic, some people see a duck because there literally is a duck present; some see nothing because they're oblivious, self-absorbed dolts; and others either ignore him as they would a shouting homeless man on the train, or believe he is a wearing a costume because it's difficult to believe this (a talking duck) is happening. June was on point when she said the employment agency staffer didn't even register Howard was a duck. That woman is a cog in the machine, she doesn't care. But Lucas in no way establishes this reality for the uninitiated viewers! He achieves only in building a confusing world that takes the viewer out. A shame, really, because this was a great opportunity to introduce people to a comic that Lucas himself, no doubt, loved.

Anyways, great episode, and great guest. Thanks all.

• Like 4

A 90 MINUTE EPISODE?!?! OH BOY!!

Can you guys believe this show used to be only a half hour?

• Like 17

Great episode, really good energy, Schaal was a great guest. The gang was on top form. Trainwreck of a film.

Probably the most WTF premise for a movie since Super Mario Bros where a meteor smashes into a planet and creates a parallel dimension because 'Fuck You. Science.'

So Howard gets sucked to Earth because...lasers?

But lasers are just light, not fucking tractor beams. And why did it only drag Howard, since there were clearly other objects and ducks closer to the beam than him. And how did the laser, which again, just light, go through fucking walls and buildings? And how was Howard dragged through the vacuum of space without freezing or suffocating?

Why the shitballs did the computer at the end know how long it'd take the Dark Overlords of the Universe to arrive? Why did it even have that function; Jeffrey Jones said it was supposed to measure gas around Alpha Centauri. And is anybody elses left side going numb thinking about this movidkf;hsdfhkdsj,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

In all fairness, you're not a scientist, so you don't REALLY know. Also, every computer program comes with a function to calculate interplanetary travel for the Dark Lords of the Universe. You would know this if you were a computer programmer.

• Like 6

This was a great episode & Kristen Schaal was fabulous! I'm sure it was great live, but by just listening, I can imagine it's really Louise in her bunny hat!

• Like 3

I guess the Earth equivalents of the Duckworld surnames "Duck" and "Waddle" would be "Mann" and "Walker," right?

• Like 10

I so wish I could have seen June's face and her mic drop when they found the section where Howard attempts to fly. Did anyone happen to take a picture of that moment?

• Like 3

A 90 MINUTE EPISODE?!?! OH BOY!!

Can you guys believe this show used to be only a half hour?

Yes. I relisten to the old episodes between each new episode. Such a change from when Burlesque and Season of the Witch were both under 40 minutes to episodes like From Justin to Kelly and this one being 90 minutes. Love it.

HTD1_zpsd4311122.jpg

I've probably said this 47 times, but I fell in love with June again in this episode.

I fall in love with her every freaking episode.

• Like 5

In the wake of this terrible movie, it's worth remembering that we did have some quality duck-themed entertainment in the 80s. Like Duck Tales, detailing the adventures of Scrooge McDuck and his three nephews. We also had Count Duckula, a vampire duck turned vegetarian due to a mishap with ketchup during his resurrection ceremony.

Though now I'm getting Jason-like inspiration and just want someone to cut a Howard the Duck trailer to the Duck Tales theme song (with all the scenes of Howard gazing at asses).

• Like 2

For anyone who didn't get a chance to watch the whole movie, this video (if you can excuse the stupid editing) includes most of the more fucked up moments that were discussed...

• Like 4

For anyone who didn't get a chance to watch the whole movie, this video (if you can excuse the stupid editing) includes most of the more fucked up moments that were discussed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6hDf5cCUJw

Ok, well this guy beat me to the Duck Tales idea.

Sign in to follow this