🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
agata

Episode 148 — Adoption

Tig, David, and Kyle start the show off by discussing some topics such as healthy eating, etiquette for addressing people when hiking, and a wide variety of bodily functions and embarrassing moments. Then, guest Peter Spruyt joins the team to walk through the process of adopting a child in detail, including details on closed adoption vs. open adoption, his true experience with nature vs. nurture, and the true costs involved.

As someone who was adopted, I have to say, I hated the way this episode was handled.

why?

• Like 2

I'm also curious to know why you didn't like it, 2128m. Honestly, this show stayed on topic more than most PBs, which I'm not so sure I was crazy about. And while I see what he was saying about the advantages of adopting with regard to carbon footprints and what-not, people tax credits or no, people who want to start a family generally don't have $50,000 at their disposal. Especially people who want to start a family a little earlier in life. To summarize, I think the award for today's show goes to Kyle.

• Like 1

After this episode can we assume that someone karate chopped david's beach poop?

• Like 1

I have many family members and friends who have gone through the process of adoption--from ages ranging from newborn to teenager. This can be a very difficult relationship as time goes on and, depending on the age and the home life of the child being adopted, can come with many other challenges. I don't agree that it is simply a choice. To adopt a child is a choice that should be carefully considered. With that said, my choice to have my own biological child is not shelfish. It is just as much of a serious decision as adopting and should not be taken lightly.

• Like 2

why?

For me (and I imagine many like myself), the topic is both touchy and rooted in emotion rather than process. I saw the title and I was actually really excited to listen but I feel like this guest was really just ... very dry and surgical in his explanation? I guess?

The whole narrative was like a WikiHow on the steps you take to do it but hardly delved into the emotional substance for those involved. Talking about the cost of doing business and the tax credits involved, sure, that's relevant info but it really took over the show. Then he finally got to the "why" of his decision to become an adoptive parent and he leads off with a shpiel about "overpopulation" and harm for the environment. Seriously? That's your main reason for doing so ever since you were a kid. So it's about ... recycling? Adoption is more green? That's wildly offensive. I'd love to hear your adopted child's thoughts about their lot in life being better for the environment. Then, when he gets to the secondary point (that children need homes), he immediately compares it to how pets need homes. Just digging the hole even deeper.

Maybe I'm just being nitpicky since it hits home in an uncomfortable and difficult way, but to think that this guy is the "authority" for the purpose of the show is disappointing at best. The takeaway was basically, 'Hey, if you got the money, be good to the environment and buy used!'

• Like 2

I'm also curious to know why you didn't like it, 2128m. Honestly, this show stayed on topic more than most PBs, which I'm not so sure I was crazy about. And while I see what he was saying about the advantages of adopting with regard to carbon footprints and what-not, people tax credits or no, people who want to start a family generally don't have $50,000 at their disposal. Especially people who want to start a family a little earlier in life. To summarize, I think the award for today's show goes to Kyle.

YES! For the direction Peter took this discussion and the talking points he presented, he took himself way too seriously. It was no different than someone smugly explaining their thought-process for buying an electric car at a wine tasting. Calling out Kyle for making jokes: come on, have you ever listened to this show? Maybe if there was any emotion behind the subject matter I can see shutting him down a bit, but he just really bugged me here.

• Like 1

For me (and I imagine many like myself), the topic is both touchy and rooted in emotion rather than process.

thanks for your input. i don't know much about adoption so it's interesting to hear about from all angles.

God bless Kyle for trudging through while the guest seemed to be a complete brick wall to anything remotely light or funny. I feel like Mr Spruyt didn't get along well with anyone or even understands the idea of a comedy podcast. The topic of adoption isn't nearly as dark, dry and serious as.. let's say... Tig's cancer, and at least part of Professor Blastoff's conceit is using dry comedy to address and get through deeply dark and serious/awkward situations...and they do it beautifully.

Even Kyle's attempts to lighten the convo were completely ignored by Mr Spruyt and in one case passively agressively brushed aside with "Kyle has an interest in keeping his bit going" (yes... and thank god for that) Not to mention Del Larue (sp) getting laughs and heightening the character from everyone except the guest.

Overall a very interesting listen, certainly a lesson is dealing with a certain type of person, but kind of a dry bummer.

• Like 3

Yeah, I hate to criticize the guests (and if anything, I tend to get really frustrated with the hosts' tendency to occasionally steamroll the guest with too many jokes), and the discussion was definitely interesting, but man was that dry. At least in tone, it felt like a typical jokey impression of an NPR show. I had to go back and check the guest bio to see that I didn't mis-hear that he was a comedian.

• Like 2

Having a guest that can barely speak was probably a bad idea.

• Like 2

Well...the guest probably seemed a bit removed because his wife unfortunately passed away not too long ago. That's who the Krullapalooza is all about.

• Like 1

Glad to see I'm not the only one with misgivings about the guest. I know its a kind of serious topic but he just seemed to suck all the fun out of the room. Though seeing that his wife passed away makes me empathise, perhaps a comedy podcast isn't the one for him.

Sign in to follow this