Musical Mondays Off-Week 7 (Cinco DeNio's Pick)

Musicals Fun & Games HDTGM

143 replies to this topic

#41 Cameron H.

Neil Diamond Super Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationChâteau D’If

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:10 AM

View PostQuasar Sniffer, on 22 March 2017 - 03:59 AM, said:

For me, it just feels very deliberately 90s, in the performances and in the songs. I say that being someone who feels the phrase "timeless" is overrated. Something like Star Trek is something that could ONLY have happened on TV in 1966, design-wise, aesthetically, it's cast, its social message, etc. The X-Files could have only happened in the 1990s, and is very 90s, for the same reasons, and you feel that watching those shows. I love that about those shows and I feel that it adds to their authenticity. They were genuine artifacts of their time and that's beautiful.

Rent just feels... disingenuous and engineered. Like the people who designed Poochie the Dog decided to write a musical. I know that might be an arbitrary distinction, but it's something I feel pretty distinctly while watching it.

Posted Image

But it was written during the late Eighties/ early Nineties...If you were to find a screenplay written and set in 1950, but decided to film it today, but keep it in the year it was set, wouldn't that be the same thing?
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#42 joel_rosenbaum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:14 AM

View PostCameron H., on 22 March 2017 - 04:10 AM, said:

But it was written during the late Eighties/ early Nineties...If you were to find a screenplay written and set in 1950, but decided to film it today, but keep it in the year it was set, wouldn't that be the same thing?

#43 CakeBug Tranch

Loyal Tompkastaway

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • LocationSchmocation

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:22 AM

I haven't rewatched it yet (and I mostly want to wait til next week to talk about it) but I saw the original production on Broadway and then the movie as soon as it came out, and the difference a decade made was amazing. The grittiness, youth, and energy of the zeitgeist that was present in the minimalist Broadway production, with music exactly suited to the gloomy 90's, felt strangely out of place with the more wrinkled, much more prosperous-looking original cast in the movie version to me. There are moments (and I will be sure to note them when I rewatch) that feel as clunky and old-fashioned as the synths in The Phantom of the Opera feel today. Maybe Rent needs a Chicago-style reboot/reorchestration to feel less dated. But I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it again.
Mark: "But I thought we are all orpans." Deep Down inside, we all are, Miami Connection

Dorothy Shaw: "I like a man who can run faster than I can." Choosy, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

No-Prize Champion
Vampire's Kiss; xXx: Return of Xander Cage; Body Parts; The Running Man

#44 Quasar Sniffer

Elitist Prick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:24 AM

View PostCameron H., on 22 March 2017 - 04:10 AM, said:

Or maybe just adapting any piece of literature set in the past? Maybe I should be looking at this as a period piece? I was cognizant of Rent's origins going in, but it still just feels very forced to me. Maybe I am being unfair?
"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat - a Studebaker."
- The Muppet Movie (1979)

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel

#45 Cameron H.

Neil Diamond Super Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationChâteau D’If

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:34 AM

View PostQuasar Sniffer, on 22 March 2017 - 04:24 AM, said:

Or maybe just adapting any piece of literature set in the past? Maybe I should be looking at this as a period piece? I was cognizant of Rent's origins going in, but it still just feels very forced to me. Maybe I am being unfair?

Not at all. And I'm trying not to talk about it, but that's how I watched it. I chose to view Mark's camera as a time capsule preserving a very specific moment in time.

Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#46 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:15 AM

Damn it, I got 2 wrong. Can you do better?

#47 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:37 AM

Several people have posted the Broadway filmed performance on YouTube. I'll watch this weekend to compare and contrast.

(singing)"We are just like Romeo and Juliet. We're happy, young and <hacking cough> hemorrhaging blood."
-- Mary Lane, Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical (2005)

#48 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:39 AM

View Posttomspanks, on 22 March 2017 - 06:15 AM, said:

Damn it, I got 2 wrong. Can you do better?

Gdi I missed 1!

La Vie Boheme is the best song (until the very end because fuck the whole "you?" "me" "mimiiiiii" part)
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#49 Cameron H.

Neil Diamond Super Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationChâteau D’If

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:55 AM

Why can't it be Monday?

Posted Image

I should have waited to watch this...
Ultraviolet (2006)

Reefer Madness (2005)

#50 kateacola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:12 AM

View PostCameron H., on 22 March 2017 - 10:55 AM, said:

Why can't it be Monday?

Posted Image

I should have waited to watch this...

I put it on when I got home last night, was surprised at how many songs I recognized/ knew I have heard before. But I'm not really sure how, because I've never watched this and I don't think I've listened to the soundtrack?
maybe I June'd it, and it left me immediately after watching or it's a repressed memory??

I still did not finish watching..haha. But it was just something I put on-- and was listening to as I was attempting to fall asleep, so I wasn't really trying to watch it.

I'll watch it for REAL soon. But wanted to comment on how crazy familiar the songs were even though I swear I haven't seen it before.

#51 Cameron H.

Neil Diamond Super Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationChâteau D’If

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:49 PM

Okay, okay. I'm NOT talking about Rent. Okay. I'm just saying, the titular song reminded me of...

Spoiler

Ultraviolet (2006)

Reefer Madness (2005)

#52 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:28 PM

What's our stance on School of Rock as a musical?
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#53 CakeBug Tranch

Loyal Tompkastaway

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • LocationSchmocation

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:32 PM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 22 March 2017 - 03:28 PM, said:

Posted Image
Mark: "But I thought we are all orpans." Deep Down inside, we all are, Miami Connection

Dorothy Shaw: "I like a man who can run faster than I can." Choosy, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

No-Prize Champion
Vampire's Kiss; xXx: Return of Xander Cage; Body Parts; The Running Man

#54 Cameron H.

Neil Diamond Super Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationChâteau D’If

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:35 PM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 22 March 2017 - 03:28 PM, said:

Posted Image

(We would have our first Musical Mondays All-Star with Sarah Silverman...)
Ultraviolet (2006)

Reefer Madness (2005)

#55 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:59 PM

View PostCameron H., on 22 March 2017 - 03:35 PM, said:

(We would have our first Musical Mondays All-Star with Sarah Silverman...)

And Adam Pascal.

#56 Cameron H.

Neil Diamond Super Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationChâteau D’If

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:06 PM

View Posttomspanks, on 22 March 2017 - 03:59 PM, said:

And Adam Pascal.

Ah, yes. The charismatic Adam Pascal. How could I forget..?
Ultraviolet (2006)

Reefer Madness (2005)

#57 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:29 PM

View PostCameron H., on 22 March 2017 - 04:06 PM, said:

I forgot everything about his character from my last watch except that he's a musician, I think?

Idina Menzel and Tracie Thomas are the only ones that really stuck firmly in my brain because I remember liking the tango song Thomas did with the filmmaker dude about Menzel and the song that was their fight at the engagement party.
"Fuck this fucking movie!" -Cameron H

#58 Cameron H.

Neil Diamond Super Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationChâteau D’If

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:36 PM

View PostFister Roboto, on 22 March 2017 - 04:29 PM, said:

I forgot everything about his character from my last watch except that he's a musician, I think?

Idina Menzel and Tracie Thomas are the only ones that really stuck firmly in my brain because I remember liking the tango song Thomas did with the filmmaker dude about Menzel and the song that was their fight at the engagement party.

I liked Tom Collins and Angel, and pretty much noth--Wait a second! Stop trying to get me to talk about it!
Ultraviolet (2006)

Reefer Madness (2005)

#59 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:58 PM

View PostCameron H., on 22 March 2017 - 04:06 PM, said:

Some people had a crush on him. Not me, though, nope. :ph34r:

#60 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:24 PM

View PostCameron H., on 22 March 2017 - 04:36 PM, said:

I liked Tom Collins and Angel, and pretty much noth--Wait a second! Stop trying to get me to talk about it!

Oh yeah! Angel is really good, too!

And if Tom Collins is the guy I'm thinking, I have a lot of thoughts to share about him.

Idina, tho.
"Fuck this fucking movie!" -Cameron H