Episode 177 - The Disaster Artist

101 replies to this topic

#1 July Diaz

Earwolf Buddy

• Administrators
  • 5,621 posts
  • LocationUnder a roof

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:16 AM

On a very special episode of How Did This Get Made?, Paul speaks with the stars and writers of The Disaster Artist which includes James Franco, Dave Franco, Seth Rogen, Ari Graynor, Michael H. Webber, Scott Neustadter, Greg Sestero, and Tommy Wiseau. Plus, we present the classic HDTGM episode on The Room with Steve Heisler from The AV Club and Greg Sestero!

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli...wdidthisgetmade
Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:
You can see Jason, June, and Paul in The Disaster Artist in theaters now.
Paul’s new comedy Drive Share is available on Go90. Paul can be seen on Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later, Opening Night, and Veep. You can see June and Paul on NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. June stars in Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.

Jason can be seen in The Good Place, The House, The Lego Batman Movie, How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.
listen to carmen christopher on the latest ep of my podcast trends with benefits twb.cool

#2 Society Max

Ⓜⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:21 AM

*Recently Edited. Please read to the very end. Thank You*

For those of you who may not already know, I had the great fortune to attend the November 7th 2017 Premiere event for "The Disaster Artist" in Madrid, Spain

And here are some pictures I took... The main condition for me to enter and watch the film was to turn off my cellphone so these are the few I did take...

No one from the cast and crew from the movie walked the red carpet, only Celebrities from Spain that I didnt know and nobody signed any autographs... But I got to see the film early and free and It was the BEST!

Posted Image

View PostSociety Max, on 14 November 2017 - 04:12 AM, said:

Posted Image

The Invitation/Ticket
Posted Image

My Plastic Spoon and a Toy Football

Posted Image

My frozen face from the cold (I was uber happy but the temperature was against me showing it) outside after the movie

Posted Image

P.S. On my Droopy Dog Face Impression/Expression: I was also tired of running around outside the cinema and asking for American Footballs in the surrounding stores, because here in Europe...

Posted Image

^^ The Soccer ball IS the football (and I knew the diference already, but it was like finding and then BUYING a "needle in a haystack") And also I saw the movie with the ball and the spoon at hand but I didnt throw/tossed any of them inside the theatre (I wanted to pay attention to the movie and not get kicked out)... I did it for the LULZ, the memories and fandom (and hoping to get it autographed)... Now I'm ready if any screenings of "The Room" pop up ;)

P.P.S. : https://www.newgroun...tal/view/547307 <--- This link is for a free interactive online point and click tribute flash adventure game of The Room that happens in the spam of the movies events its made with so much love, care and attention for the source material that you will truly feel inside the universe from start to finish... It also has minigames, easter eggs, various achievement medals, two endings and a hidden spoon hunt.

A Must Play!!!

#3 ironicmerman

Sentient hot dogs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationNull Island

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:23 AM

This episode is like the opening of a time capsule.

1. The old theme song.
2. The intimacy of studio episodes.
3. June being "obsessed with" (fill in the blank).
Technicality. No. Down. Boo. Over.

#4 Elektra Boogaloo

Mistress of All Agonies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:50 AM

Are they doing Valerian? Paul mentions it at the end.

#5 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:01 AM

View PostElektra Boogaloo, on 08 December 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

Are they doing Valerian? Paul mentions it at the end.

Yeah at that upcoming podcast festival with the weird name I think. He posted it on instagram so I've got it saved on my HBO watchlist cause it's currently there lol.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#6 Society Max

Ⓜⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:43 AM

And in my mind (wich works at 100% capacity) this will give "Lucy" a chance for an upcoming episode as well...

So if they name drop "Lucy" in the "Valerian" ep I will react like this...

Posted Image

P.S.: Too Late! I'm already reacting like this

#7 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:11 AM

View PostSociety Max, on 08 December 2017 - 07:43 AM, said:

And in my mind (wich works at 100% capacity) this will give &quot;Lucy&quot; a chance for an upcoming episode as well...

So if they name drop &quot;Lucy&quot; in the &quot;Valerian&quot; ep I will react like this...

Posted Image

P.S.: I'm already reacting like this

Lucy I legit loved in spite of its flaws. Valerian, well, I can see how it was a good idea.

I think both would make good episodes but I'd definitely try to defend Lucy even though it's indefensible.

#8 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:30 AM

View Postgrudlian., on 08 December 2017 - 08:11 AM, said:

Lucy I legit loved in spite of its flaws. Valerian, well, I can see how it was a good idea.

I think both would make good episodes but I'd definitely try to defend Lucy even though it's indefensible.

Lucy started out amazing. I loved the concept but as it kept going I lost a lot of interest.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#9 Society Max

Ⓜⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:33 AM

View Postgrudlian., on 08 December 2017 - 08:11 AM, said:

Just the ending and the lack of emotion and empathy that grew as the brain power of Lucy increased were the things that ruined it for me

If you fix that you got a masterpiece in my book

This is a quote from a post of mine in the "Lucy" Bad Movies Recomendation Section thread in wich I touch and expand on what I just said above...

View PostMaximiliano, on 23 September 2014 - 10:13 AM, said:

*SPOILERS for "Lucy"

Spoiler

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 08 December 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

Lucy started out amazing. I loved the concept but as it kept going I lost a lot of interest.

^^THIS!!! Also

#10 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:42 AM

View PostSociety Max, on 08 December 2017 - 08:33 AM, said:

Also I personally think that Scarlett Johansson's portrayal of Lucy, after she begins to gain brain power / knowledge and lose her humanity, was not as good or as engaging as the work she did in "Under The Skin" ( Many Thanks you Paul Scheer for that recomendation ) where she carried that whole movie and I truly felt connected to the things that happened to her character.

Yes this in particular is a big problem for me. Her acting at the end is horrendous! But in Under The Skin she pulls off that lack of emotion much better. I can't tell if it's a "her" thing or a director thing or maybe a little bit from column a and a little bit from column b. Either way once she starts losing herself the whole movie falls apart.

#11 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:00 AM

I'll admit I can't defend Lucy on any of its technical merits. It's a garbage movie that makes no sense but I loved it once I gave in to how dumb it is.

It looks like the people who didn't like it sounds like they had high expectations. I had extremely low expectations and liked it. I wonder if that's part of it.

#12 Joverholt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:03 PM

https://xkcd.com/1400/

Is DB Cooper Tommy Wiseau? I don't know but it explains everything.

Though you all would enjoy this web comic about the room.

https://xkcd.com/1400/

#13 Elektra Boogaloo

Mistress of All Agonies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:33 PM

Melissa McCarthy told this insane story of Tommy Wiseau coming to her door selling copies of "The Room" on Jimmy Kimmel! IF Tommy came to my door I would call the cops.

But I bet that's a collector's edition now. ;)

#14 Society Max

Ⓜⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:22 PM

I like how, for a second, this "The Disaster Artist" Thread got sidetracked by Valerian and Lucy

Since the Mortal Kombat episode I have this theory...

Christopher Lambert is either from the same birthplace as Tommy Wiseau or they are secretly related or both Tommy and Chritopher had to move a lot in their lives and developed this unique accents from bits and pieces from around the world and/or its just all a coincidence/happy accident (As its stated in his Wikipedia page... A detail also read in the M.K. Episode: His father was a French diplomat at the United Nations. Lambert was raised in Geneva from infancy and moved to Paris in his teens.)

And why do I say this...

EXIBIT A!!!

CASE CLOSED! PERIOD!!!

#15 Cameron H.

Cookin' With Potatoes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,846 posts
  • LocationWerewolf Warehouse

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:49 AM

Hey, guys! The year is coming to a close, and although there's still one more episode to come, I thought it might be fun to go over the movies covered this year. I feel like I bitched a lot about some of the picks (I'm sorry for that), but taken as a whole, I think this has been a pretty solid year. I'd love to hear everyone's ranking on the movies and episodes (knowing that just because you loved an episode doesn't mean you love the movie)

Also, I wonder what hopes people have for the show in the new year (e.g. more studio episodes).

2017 HDTGM Movies

1) Escape from LA
2) Highlander II
3) Airborne
4) xXx: Return of Xander Cage
5) Surf Ninjas
6) Body Parts
7) Sleepwalkers
8) The Lake House
9) Fate of the Furious
10) My Stepmother's an Alien
11) The Running Man
12) The Wraith
13) Ninja Terminator
14) Timecop
15) Chopping Mall
16) Hard Ticket to Hawaii
17) Garbage Pail Kids Movie
18) Bratz
19) Miami Connection
20) The Last Dragon
21) Virtuosity
22) Jason X
23) Ultraviolet
24) The Jazz Singer
25) The Room - Special Edition

(This isn't to suggest any of the episodes aren't ALL good. Just your subjective ranking. :))
Max: You know what? I can’t do this for another second.
Geostorm (2017)

"Pack up!"
Om Shanti Om (2007)

#16 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:57 AM

^ that 13, 15, 16, 17 period was rough.

#17 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:01 AM

I don't have a ranking for the full list yet but my number 1 is EASILY Fate Of The Furious. It's one of my favorite movies of 2017 even without HDTGM.

#18 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:04 AM

View Posttomspanks, on 09 December 2017 - 09:57 AM, said:

^ that 13, 15, 16, 17 period was rough.

If the movies had been spread out instead of back to back, it wouldn't have been so bad in my opinion. But it almost made Bratz creek like a breath of fresh air.

#19 Cameron H.

Cookin' With Potatoes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,846 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:24 AM

2017 HDTGM Movies Ranked

1) The Last Dragon
2) Airborne
3) Miami Connection
4) The Running Man
5) Timecop
6) Sleepwalkers
7) My Stepmother's an Alien
8) Highlander II
9) Escape for LA
10) The Jazz Singer
11) Jason X
12) Bratz
13) The Wraith
14) Surf Ninjas
15) Ultraviolet
16) xXx: The Return of Xander Cage
17) The Lake House
18) Body Parts
19) The Room
20) Garbage Pail Kids
21) Chopping Mall
22) Hard Ticket to Hawaii
23) Ninja Terminator

(I have not watched Fate and the Furious or Virtuosity yet)

2017 HDTGM Episodes Ranked
1) Timecop
2) Miami Connection
3) The Lake House
4) Sleepwalkers
5) Highlander II
6) Escape from LA
7) The Running Man
8) Airborne
9) Bratz
10) The Wraith
11) Surf Ninjas
12) xXx: Return of Xander Cage
13) The Jazz Singer
14) Jason X
15) Body Parts
16) The Last Dragon
17) Fate of the Furious
18) Garbage Pail Kids
19) Chopping Mall
20) Hard Ticket to Hawaii
21) Ultraviolet
22) Ninja Terminator

(I haven't listened to Virtuosity yet and I'm not sure it's fair to rank The Room episode)

Things I'd like in 2018

1) I would love for them to finally do a run of "I loved this movie when I was a kid, but I think it might actually be terrible" movies. For example, Ladyhawk for Jason and Drop Dead Fred for June. I'm not sure if Paul has ever mentioned one...

2) Adam Scott as a guest for a non-Vin Diesel movie.

3) Less "unavailable to rent" or "only available in crappy YouTube uploads" movies.
Geostorm (2017)

"Pack up!"
Om Shanti Om (2007)

#20 Cameron H.

Cookin' With Potatoes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,846 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:25 AM

Double Post. Sorry. Er...

I'm watching The Good Place right now. It's very good so far
Geostorm (2017)

"Pack up!"
Om Shanti Om (2007)