🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 72 — Toys

In response to whether or not people call out the wrong names during sex, there is a story that Chelsea Peretti tells of one her comedian friends saying her name when he was getting frisky with his date (whose name was not Chelsea, so he couldn't play it off).

I also have a story like that- a friend apparently said my name whilst in the act, and I found out when his girlfriend told me. To be fair, my name has been on the top 10 list for like, 12 years now, so, it's not like it couldn't have been a happy accident.

• Like 1

In response to whether or not people call out the wrong names during sex, there is a story that Chelsea Peretti tells of one her comedian friends saying her name when he was getting frisky with his date (whose name was not Chelsea, so he couldn't play it off).

I think I remember hearing that on one of her YMIW appearances with Pete Holmes. And yeah, it's super funny -- all the episodes she's been on are hilarious.

But yeah, I've never heard of anyone calling out other names or had it happen to me. Come to think of it, who even says their partner's name during sex? That would be weird, wouldn't it? Am I weird? Everyone always says "oh yeah, babe" or whatever. "Fuck me harder, Nathaniel" would be a boner killer.

• Like 1

I think I remember hearing that on one of her YMIW appearances with Pete Holmes. And yeah, it's super funny -- all the episodes she's been on are hilarious.

But yeah, I've never heard of anyone calling out other names or had it happen to me. Come to think of it, who even says their partner's name during sex? That would be weird, wouldn't it? Am I weird? Everyone always says "oh yeah, babe" or whatever. "Fuck me harder, Nathaniel" would be a boner killer.

Yeah, it was that one where she interviews Pete and talks about killing him by burying him alive. That was a good one. :)

And I'm like you, I don't say names when having sex. I sound like Ric Flair though -- alot of woooos and yeahs being heard.

• Like 1

Yeah, it was that one where she interviews Pete and talks about killing him by burying him alive. That was a good one. :)

And I'm like you, I don't say names when having sex. I sound like Ric Flair though -- alot of woooos and yeahs being heard.

That would be episode 100. I could listen to her talk shit about Pete all day, she's the best.

I think during sex I sound like that youtube video of the fat kid freaking out on the roller coaster.

Bringing this back to Toys, time to fire up the emulator and play this piece of garbage:

yE7rMv0.jpg

• Like 1

I netflixed this, and couldn't make it past 40 minutes in.

I will cede that the colorful visuals were neat but the scene where Joan Cusack orders the applesauce sandwich did me in.

The Robin Williams improv playbook is as follows:

1) do a voice. if it doesn't get a laugh, go to step 2.

2) change voices. if still no laughs, repeat step 2.

• Like 4

That would be episode 100. I could listen to her talk shit about Pete all day, she's the best.

I think during sex I sound like that youtube video of the fat kid freaking out on the roller coaster.

Bringing this back to Toys, time to fire up the emulator and play this piece of garbage:

yE7rMv0.jpg

DON'T FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

There have been countless shitty games based on movies, but this one takes the fucking cake. Go on youtube and just type in toys the game or toys game review and I can guarantee that none of them feature the game past the first level. The reason being is that the game was done on a isometric plane so character depth was all fucked up making it incredibly hard. Your character couldn't beat bad guys without total luck but for some reason they were crack shots when it came to hitting you.

yE7rMv0.jpg

Damn! Why the hell would you make a video game out of this movie??!!!! You know what, nevermind, this probably would make a much better game than a movie, like a General Chaos-type of game with rubber ducks and jack-in-the-boxes.

I bet if you do the Konami Code, you get a three minute, 16-bit cutscene of Robin Williams just riffing and twirling that red hat.

SFStoyr.png

And hire a woman to take his son's virginity.

cQGfJQ2.png

Yeah, Ryan is right. This is unplayable within seconds. The screen starts filling up with these little bombs running at you from all sides, and your weapon fires not in a straight line but in an arc making it impossible to aim.

I remember the crazy disappointment I used to get when I'd rent a shitty game as a kid, games like this. I'd try really hard to get enjoyment out of it, because I had it for a weekend or whatever. Then after a couple hours, I'd give up and instead beat Super Mario for the hundredth time.

It is my greatest wish that Paul will announce The Toy as their next movie.

"Guys, the racism in this movie is NEXT LEVEL BONKERS."

• Like 8

SFStoyr.png

And hire a woman to take his son's virginity.

cQGfJQ2.png

Yeah, Ryan is right. This is unplayable within seconds. The screen starts filling up with these little bombs running at you from all sides, and your weapon fires not in a straight line but in an arc making it impossible to aim.

I remember the crazy disappointment I used to get when I'd rent a shitty game as a kid, games like this. I'd try really hard to get enjoyment out of it, because I had it for a weekend or whatever. Then after a couple hours, I'd give up and instead beat Super Mario for the hundredth time.

That's always been the biggest consistency in video games, if it's based on a movie it's probably shit. Especially in the late 80s-mid 90s when there were a lot of adaptations, most were in the so bad they're good category or just plain shit category. E.T., Friday the 13th, Hudson Hawk, and Toys were some of the worst ever made, though Friday the 13th is pretty funny to play nostalgically. Rarely were there games that were able to be good adaptation, but when they were they were fantastic, though that may be just in comparison to other adaptations. The early Jurassic Park Games, True Lies, and more recently the Riddick games and Jaws Unleashed were all really good.

Toys: the game is just a nightmare machine. Oh and why is Robin Williams' character wearing Robin Wright's clothes?

You and me both!

• Like 1

They said it, they said the thing!! [gestures to icon]

And rightly deserved as this movie was so upsetting. It was so jarring hearing [one of the guys who played] Dumbledore be evil. I'm not cool enough to have seen his other films that were mentioned - oops.

There's no way I could have handled this as a kid. I'm still kind of too sensitive now to handle toys getting blown apart by each other.

In conclusion and in summary, Trevor Horn, how could you.

• Like 1

I loved this episode and like Paul said - its actually a perfect movie for the core concept of HDTGM? It's not just 'bad' but should have been caught out,

it should have the cash and acting power to work,

and,

it really had the writers who 'could' have fixed it.

But baffling the world - the stupid thing was somehow made and released as it was?

The guys really did sum up everything i remembered. A somewhat cool surreal 'world' was uhh.. well made and presented yes.

Then.. seemed to have no good explanation. Then seemed to be improv'ed by actors on their day off (from some other full-time projects)

And great advice from the guest - whenever you hear a movie is the 'dream project' of a successful director or producer or writer ......... red flag. red flag!

someone DID let them have a lot of cash and nobody to call them out as they dicked and whimsied around in their world of imagination.

I will say as bad as Toys is, it's still better than Bicentennial Man.

The Robin Williams improv playbook is as follows:

1) do a voice. if it doesn't get a laugh, go to step 2.

2) change voices. if still no laughs, repeat step 2.

This is why I never understood the appeal of Robin Williams. Most of his jokes and impressions aren't any better than the typical office clown who imagines himself a comedian.

He's just another one of those things I chalk up to Boomers.

• Like 2

This is why I never understood the appeal of Robin Williams. Most of his jokes and impressions aren't any better than the typical office clown who imagines himself a comedian.

Bang-on. Your post triggered all the memories.

The years was probably 1980 and my parents and friends came home from an office party where, using this new corporate 'BetaMax' i think they had seen a video of a 1978 'Off The Wall' stand-up special featuring Robin Williams coked out of his mind.

For some culturally specific reasons our parents could not stop fucking talking about ......."this guy.. this guy.. whats his name. .not the Threes Company guy but .. ya Robin Williams OH MY GADDD... this guy.. give him a cup and he goes off on it... he literally climbs the stage.. you can say anything and he can make it funny!! Its like he just makes it up as he goes along!!.. and the ENERGY!"

• Like 1

I'd be alright with them reviewing this film. An underrated Richard Donner film.

Chalk it up to the copious amount of cocaine Robin was railing in the late 70s/early 80s. Watch his HBO special back in 1977, he is coked out of his gourd. Most of his early films, he's snowed. He and Altman were enjoying Malta too much while filming Popeye.

Can someone please explain to me why the elephant memorial/grave is floating like a balloon during the end credits?

post-44576-0-54587200-1380116918_thumb.jpg

Can someone please explain to me why the elephant memorial/grave is floating like a balloon during the end credits?

This upset me so much. I watched the credits in their entirety to see if there was an answer to the floating elephant and thERE WERE NO ANSWERS

Bang-on. Your post triggered all the memories.

The years was probably 1980 and my parents and friends came home from an office party where, using this new corporate 'BetaMax' i think they had seen a video of a 1978 'Off The Wall' stand-up special featuring Robin Williams coked out of his mind.

For some culturally specific reasons our parents could not stop fucking talking about ......."this guy.. this guy.. whats his name. .not the Threes Company guy but .. ya Robin Williams OH MY GADDD... this guy.. give him a cup and he goes off on it... he literally climbs the stage.. you can say anything and he can make it funny!! Its like he just makes it up as he goes along!!.. and the ENERGY!"

I think he's in the same vein as Dennis Miller. Very early on, smart people latched on his act because he places famous people from politics and literature in absurd situations. Then people who were not so smart latched on to his act because it made them feel smarter.

I really do think that his early standup was very funny but his act doesn't translate well to a lot of movies. Its so damned manic. It would have been interesting if he just did crazy ass adult cartoons instead of life-action movies, because animation is the only thing that can accurately reflect his crazy ass.

• Like 2

That's always been the biggest consistency in video games, if it's based on a movie it's probably shit. Especially in the late 80s-mid 90s when there were a lot of adaptations, most were in the so bad they're good category or just plain shit category. E.T., Friday the 13th, Hudson Hawk, and Toys were some of the worst ever made, though Friday the 13th is pretty funny to play nostalgically. Rarely were there games that were able to be good adaptation, but when they were they were fantastic, though that may be just in comparison to other adaptations. The early Jurassic Park Games, True Lies, and more recently the Riddick games and Jaws Unleashed were all really good.

Toys: the game is just a nightmare machine. Oh and why is Robin Williams' character wearing Robin Wright's clothes?

The Aladdin video game was a good Sega Genesis game. I thought The Matrix video game was pretty good too, but I think they spent a bunch of money on compressing the extra takes from Matrix:Reloaded instead of expanding the game. That game would have been great as a GTA-style sandbox.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this