🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
faye-raye

Fantastic Mr. Fox

People are allowed to not like Wes Anderson movies. I'd say if you grabbed a random group of strangers and made them watch The Life Aquatic, at least 50% would tell you to go fuck yourself afterwards.

I would say this particular movie I cant see being done just because its so completely different from any other movie they've done. It'd be the first animated film they've done and there are certainly far more well deserving animated films to do first before tackling this film.

I think Fantastic Mr. Fox is my favorite Wes Anderson movie, but that is what fascinates me about him as a filmmaker. He is one of the most recognizable and idiosyncratic directors out there, yet even among fans of his work, people have such a wide variety of responses to each individual movie.

In any case, if Grand Budapest Hotel wins Oscars, I would not object.

• Like 1

People are allowed to not like Wes Anderson movies.

Well, yeah, no shit. But this film doesn't deserve the HDTGM treatment. It's not like it's bananas, bonkers bad. Imagine how boring and tepid that episode would be.

Face/Off is the line in the sand for this podcast. Fuckin' Face/Off! And that even has Nick Cage in it!!! Think about that.

• Like 2

Yeah, this is like someone comes into a room and starts saying "I just heard this awful band on the radio, they're called The Beatles. Have you heard this atrocity?"

• Like 2

While we're at it can I just say that Citizen Kane can eat a dick.

I very much enjoy a Wes Anderson film, that being said they have a very specific aesthetic. One that i'm not at all surprised doesnt resonate with everybody.

To say that the OP is somehow foolish for posting this film as a recommendation is just silly.

What makes a bad movie is incredibly subjective, Zouks's insistence that Face/Off is such a fucking awesome movie that precludes it from being done should be rather heavy evidence of that.

While we're at it can I just say that Citizen Kane can eat a dick.

I had "Citizen Kane" on my shelf for quite some time, but by the time I got around to actually watching it, I'd seen that AFI or someone had reported that it had somehow lost its title of "Greatest Movie In The Known Universe" to "Vertigo", which just gave me a bad feeling about it the whole time, making me feel that it was now a film composed entirely of street trash.

• Like 1

I think harry did a episode all about that, I really miss Harry Knowles youtube videos. Not sure what's going on with the Nerdist channel but it's now sucking. most likely ran out of money to produce videos.

I've tried to watch "Citizen Kane" more then once and never got into it. I love Vertigo, I still listen to the music from the soundtrack in my mix of tunes for the car, along with clockwork orange.

The Ain't It Cool videos on Nerdist were the least viewed of any other on their Youtube channel so it wasn't renewed by Nerdist, because they shouldn't be low on funds now that they are aligned with Legendary. If I remember right Harry tried a kickstarter to do new episodes but there was controversy in that the money gained went disappeared and many of the people who donated had not received their agreed upon rewards and this isn't the first time Harry has been called out for his hinky business policy.

• Like 1

To say that the OP is somehow foolish for posting this film as a recommendation is just silly.

It's not that they suggested it so much as that they suggested it as if it was a generally poorly received movie. A little research would have found that most people do like this film.

And I say this as someone who cringed every time they said "cuss" instead of an actual swear word.

• Like 1

It's not that they suggested it so much as that they suggested it as if it was a generally poorly received movie. A little research would have found that most people do like this film.

And I say this as someone who cringed every time they said "cuss" instead of an actual swear word.

Oh don't be silly OP did nothing of the sort, they posted the movie and their reasons for not enjoying it. As for it being well received by critics. Face/Off is at 90 percent on rotten tomatoes. Would you fault the OP on that one as well?

Oh don't be silly OP did nothing of the sort, they posted the movie and their reasons for not enjoying it. As for it being well received by critics. Face/Off is at 90 percent on rotten tomatoes. Would you fault the OP on that one as well?

To me saying "Holy cow have you seen this?" and "it's mental!!!" sound like they're expecting most people to have a bad opinion of this film.

I wonder when was the last time most people saw Face/Off. 1997 is also about the time that we as a culture started thinking that Limp Bizkit was a good idea...

• Like 3

I wonder when was the last time most people saw Face/Off. 1997 is also about the time that we as a culture started thinking that Limp Bizkit was a good idea...

Wait so we're not all Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' still?

So, as long as we're suggesting perfectly acceptable movie based on opinion rather than overwhelming proof of incompetent filmmaking, I would like to suggest Kingsman: The Secret Service, one of the most smug, psuedo-clever and hollow films I've ever had the displeasure of watching. This white trash James Bond send-up is either a clever movie for stupid people, or a stupid movie for clever people.

Oh, what's that? You actually liked this film? Thought is was one of the best films you've ever seen? And so do a whole lot of other moviegoers?!? Well, tough titties! Because this bad movie suggestion board is now reserved for movies that simply annoyed a small miniority of us.

Wa-Wah...

• Like 1

Actually, since 'Vertigo' was mentioned earlier, THAT is one of the "Great Films" that could definitely be covered on the podcast. It's a mostly meandering story about JIMMY STEWART'S sexual obsession with a woman half (literally) his age and his efforts to mold another woman into her physical form. It's fucking bonkers.

I think the movie is good, but way overrated by the critical community and, if we were going to rank "Great Movies," I vastly prefer 'Citizen Kane.'

So, as long as we're suggesting perfectly acceptable movie based on opinion rather than overwhelming proof of incompetent filmmaking, I would like to suggest Kingsman: The Secret Service, one of the most smug, psuedo-clever and hollow films I've ever had the displeasure of watching. This white trash James Bond send-up is either a clever movie for stupid people, or a stupid movie for clever people.

Oh, what's that? You actually liked this film? Thought is was one of the best films you've ever seen? And so do a whole lot of other moviegoers?!? Well, tough titties! Because this bad movie suggestion board is now reserved for movies that simply annoyed a small miniority of us.

Wa-Wah...

They also covered the last two Fast and the Furious movies that were both well received and they fucking loved. The podcast is much more fun when they dont restrict it to just one thing.

I'd much rather they continue to also cover very weird but otherwise enjoyable movies than just doing movies like Gooby or Easy Rider 2 which were not an enjoyable watch

It's just funny to me that when people post movies that are generally popular, people lose their fucking minds and accuse the OP's of being in a thought vaccum when they assume that the gang also wouldnt enjoy it.

Dont we all do that with every movie we recommend? Who knows how June, Paul or Jason are going to react to a movie. Jason was a fan of the Odd life of Timothy Green, June loved Daredevil, After Earth, and Jack Frost before the second act plot twist, much to the bewilderment of everyone else on the panel to name a few.

My main objection is that you faulted the OP for just having an opinion and then calling them a hipster for not liking the film.

• Like 1

They also covered the last two Fast and the Furious movies that were both well received and they fucking loved. The podcast is much more fun when they dont restrict it to just one thing.

I'd much rather they continue to also cover very weird but otherwise enjoyable movies than just doing movies like Gooby or Easy Rider 2 which were not an enjoyable watch

It's just funny to me that when people post movies that are generally popular, people lose their fucking minds and accuse the OP's of being in a thought vaccum when they assume that the gang also wouldnt enjoy it.

Dont we all do that with every movie we recommend? Who knows how June, Paul or Jason are going to react to a movie. Jason was a fan of the Odd life of Timothy Green, June loved Daredevil, After Earth, and Jack Frost before the second act plot twist, much to the bewilderment of everyone else on the panel to name a few.

My main objection is that you faulted the OP for just having an opinion and then calling them a hipster for not liking the film.

I didn't call the OP a hipster: I simply stated that clowning on Wes Anderson movies is par for the course, suggesting that people who ridicule something as being irksomely homogeneous are, ironically, engaing in a groupthink activity.

The OP is of course entitled to their opinion, but their suggestion that Fantastic Mr. Fox is ripe for HDTGM discussion simply seems like yet another eyerollingly misguided and tonedeaf recommendation. I mean, unless of course you agree with the OP and think Fantastic Mr. Fox is unbelievably bad and should be the movie Paul, June and Jason discuss/pillory. Do you?

• Like 1

I didn't call the OP a hipster: I simply stated that clowning on Wes Anderson movies is par for the course, suggesting that people who ridicule something as being irksomely homogeneous are, ironically, engaing in a groupthink activity.

The OP is of course entitled to their opinion, but their suggestion that Fantastic Mr. Fox is ripe for HDTGM discussion simply seems like yet another eyerollingly misguided and tonedeaf recommendation. I mean, unless of course you agree with the OP and think Fantastic Mr. Fox is unbelievably bad and should be the movie Paul, June and Jason discuss/pillory. Do you?

I've already stated I think it's a great movie, I would love to hear them talk about the movie in what im sure would be a very positive episode. And I think the better installments are the ones where they enjoy the movie they're covering rather than the ones where they could barely tolerate watching.

And honestly, how did this get made is fair question in regards to this movie. Its amazing how Wes managed to fuse his style so successfully from another artists work. I cant even imagine how much better James and the Giant Peach movie would have been had it been done by Wes Anderson.

I've already stated I think it's a great movie, I would love to hear them talk about the movie in what im sure would be a very positive episode. And I think the better installments are the ones where they enjoy the movie they're covering rather than the ones where they could barely tolerate watching.

And honestly, how did this get made is fair question in regards to this movie. Its amazing how Wes managed to fuse his style so successfully from another artists work. I cant even imagine how much better James and the Giant Peach movie would have been had it been done by Wes Anderson.

I'll agree with you that this movie is amazing. The painstaking stop motion animation is reason alone to celebrate this movie. But on How Did This Get Made?

What makes this show for me is the dissection of mind-bogglingly crazy movies. Those movie so over-the-top awful - or in those rare instances of praise/stunned wonder for films such as Fast & Furious, Punisher: Warzone and Crank 1 and 2 - that need three highly funny and analytical comedians to make sense out of those films that make no sense. That right there is the thesis statement of this podcast.

To go into dissection mode on a film like Fantastic Mr. Fox - a great film, but not one that anyone (besides the OP) would consider "bonkers" - I feel misses the point of this podcast. Sorry, but I don't see this movie happening on HDTGM anytime, like, ever.

Honestly, I never read this thread before, because I liked the movie and it didn't have the kind of terrible writing, direction, etc. that makes some well-loved movies terrible in hindsight. But I'm not going to fault someone for disliking the movie. Nothing to lose your mind over. It would make a pretty bad HDTGM episode, though.

Sign in to follow this