🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
agata

Episode 71 — Nicole Byer, Our Close Friend

Analyze Phish is Harris at his most Harris. Check out the Sarah Silverman Program too! He wrote a couple eps of that. His Who Charted appearances were always delightful.

Just...anything he was in is flat out fantastic.

• Like 2

the introduction to the CBB episode was hard for me to get through, so so sad. the episode itself was fantastic, those 3 + scott made an awesome show every time. the tribute at the end had the quickest transition from laughing to crying that i've ever experienced.

rest in peace HW

• Like 1

Guys, when did the "like" quota go away? I'm concerned that this is a monkey's paw situation bc I don't know if the freedom I always dreamed of is all it was chalked up to be.

• Like 5

I like to like ya, baby -- Donna Summer (RIP also)

• Like 5

Over in another forum [name redacted] I was just cruisin around and some user [redacted] offered to cybersuck my [redacted], so naturally I was like, "Sure, what is that, like 2 maybe 3 likes?"

And [redacted] just laughed like, "Damn, boy, couple a likes won't get your [redacted] [redacted]. you want me to rhetorically wrap my [redacted] around your [redacted] and [redacted] till you [redacted], you gotta pony up 50 likes just for starters."

And it's not like I'm made of likes, new system or not, so I was just sighed and said, "Just gimme the [redacted}, but will you at least cup my [redacted]?" So long story short I'm out 10 likes and it was NOT worth it

• Like 6

Wait, one other thing while I'm here:

Chicago Style has it "Hayes's" (except, I think, in certain situations like Biblical names in which the s+apostrophe construction is standard.) That's also what Strunk and White says. I guess they reserve the s+apostrophe construction for plural possessives.

Usually I'd agree, because simplicity and clarity are the main goals, and it's nice to separate overlapping rules. But I like the look of s+apostrophe as a singular possessive for a word ending in s. Especially with proper nouns, where confusion is unlikely.

Words are fun.

• Like 8

Chicago Style has it "Hayes's" (except, I think, in certain situations like Biblical names in which the s+apostrophe construction is standard.) That's also what Strunk and White says. I guess they reserve the s+apostrophe construction for plural possessives.

Usually I'd agree, because simplicity and clarity are the main goals, and it's nice to separate overlapping rules. But I like the look of s+apostrophe as a singular possessive for a word ending in s. Especially with proper nouns, where confusion is unlikely.

Words are fun.

Thanks.

• Like 2

Words are fun.

Though I disagree with your stance, this was a great post.

I keep forgetting to post my opinion on this: names that end in an s should be made possessives by adding an postrophe and another s, as far as I'm concerned, largely because it's just simpler and it doesn't make sense to me to create an exception to this rule. (The thing about Biblical names is confusing and frustrating to me.) I agree that confusion is unlikely, but I dunno...it just looks neater to me. Hayes's.

More importantly, I can't believe that Mean Detective is betraying his city by breaking from the CMOS.

• Like 3

More importantly, I can't believe that Mean Detective is betraying his city by breaking from the CMOS.

I KNOW RIGHT no snitching

PS I'm not at all sure about that biblical names thing, just something I seem to remember

• Like 1

No, you're totally right. I want to say it includes mythological names as well? Zeus', etc.

No, you're totally right. I want to say it includes mythical names as well? Zeus', etc.

Oh yeah that sounds right. How fucking dumb. And you are right that otherwise the CMOS reasoning here makes perfect sense. I don't know why I like the s+apostrophe, honestly.

Words are fun.

Oxford comma: speak on that.

• Like 1

Serious issues with 'like' inflation here. Soon enough a loaf of bread'll cost you a wheelbarrow full of likes.

zimbabwe_inflation.jpeg

I do a post about monetary policy and people hate it and you come here and post a picture of the same country's currency with some eggs and people like it?

Sounds about right. I look forward to more posts about the Zimbabwean dollar and other finance and economics-related topics.

PS - Everyone looking forward to Janet Yellen testifying to the House tomorrow?

• Like 2