🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 401 - LOVE Is Thicker Than Water

Wow what an ep. lots to unpack.

So at some point New No-No's just became Paul's Foam Corner and honestly I couldn't be happier.

Was genuinely shocked and impressed when Alan Thicke (R2D2Soon) name dropped Kirkland Lake of all places BUT locally people usually pronounce "Toronto" like "Tronno," and I won't even get into the whole about/aboot debacle.

Also for a second Gilly's Mogwai sounded like Ho Ho (dare I say, a New Ho-Ho!?!)

Overall the dynamic of Scott giving Paul shit, PFT giving Scott shit, Gilly giving PFT shit and everyone giving Gilly shit was just perfect. So many tangential spur-of-the-moment bits/callbacks and so little letting anything slide.

CHOKE DOWN ON THIS HOT GOSS

• Like 7

I was watching Bill Maher over the weekend and the New No-nos came into my head and made me literally LOL. I didn't even expect a new bit of new nonos on Monday morning when I saw the lineup, so when it happened, I looked myself in the mirror, flipped down my sunglasses and said, "I could get used to this"

• Like 7

This felt like a twilight zone episode to me when no one in the room knew what Paul was talking about. I had a friend in the era right after this song was big who was in love with it, a fobby asian kid who loved to sing lovey songs like that and Maroon 5 in broken English. He was so obsessed with this song that his AIM name, (yes I will date myself that much) was his initials with 'SheLikeMeForMe' afterwards. Our circle of friends still get laughs out of that a solid decade later

• Like 1

At this point Paul F.'s off mic laugh should have its own credit.

Similar to this, I was thinking at this point Gilly's titular "Ugh" should be on Scott and Paul's sound effects record.

• Like 3

The abundance of tools in PFT's bag of tricks/tools is astounding. I could be wrong, but I think a couple times, this actually frustrated Gilly, & the slight tension in the air added to the ep.

The abundance of tools in PFT's bag of tricks/tools is astounding. I could be wrong, but I think a couple times, this actually frustrated Gilly, & the slight tension in the air added to the ep.

Probably not exactly what you're talking about, but I re-listened to part of this yesterday, and there's a ~2 1/2 minute stretch starting around 1:21:30 that is one of the funniest runs ever, and it includes PFT trying to remember the dimensions. At one point, he starts alternating seamlessly (I mean INCREDIBLY quickly) between Alan and Garry, and Alan says "Eggtown" and Garry immediately says "LITTLE EGGTOWN!", and there's a slight pause and you can just barely hear Gilly go "God dammit" under her breath.

• Like 9

Probably not exactly what you're talking about, but I re-listened to part of this yesterday, and there's a ~2 1/2 minute stretch starting around 1:21:30 that is one of the funniest runs ever, and it includes PFT trying to remember the dimensions. At one point, he starts alternating seamlessly (I mean INCREDIBLY quickly) between Alan and Garry, and Alan says "Eggtown" and Garry immediately says "LITTLE EGGTOWN!", and there's a slight pause and you can just barely hear Gilly go "God dammit" under her breath.

nie Sanders!

• Like 1

I started watching Love tonight, and it's really good.

There's a scene near the end of the second episode that could be called "Blu No-Nos".

• Like 4

I started watching Love tonight, and it's really good.

There's a scene near the end of the second episode that could be called "Blu No-Nos".

Oops I didn't see your post. I immediately paused to come post this.

I really hope CBB Universe Alan Thicke isn't done for. The running joke of "____ Thicke" is my favorite joke of that kind right next to the "Space Mutiny" Dave Ryder/Blast Hardcheese/Big Mclargehuge nicknames.

I find myself coming up with different iterations of the show throughout the day (i.e. "Inexcusably Thicke")

• Like 1

I'm 3 episodes in and Love is really good overall. It's feel-good, feel-bad, middlebrow character comedy. The occasional scene or bit could be a lot better, but it's worth checking out a few episodes to see if you like it.

I probably don't have to tell this board that you don't have to think the characters are perfect human beings in order to enjoy the show.

Bonus Claudia O'Doherty & Brett Gelman

(with a little Seth Morris here and there)

I'm 3 episodes in and Love is really good overall. It's feel-good, feel-bad, middlebrow character comedy. The occasional scene or bit could be a lot better, but it's worth checking out a few episodes to see if you like it.

I probably don't have to tell this board that you don't have to think the characters are perfect human beings in order to enjoy the show.

I am on episode 5 and I have been enjoying the show very much so far. The Blu-ray throwing scene from episode 2 felt a bit New No-Noish to me, all it needed was Gus (Paul Rust's character) to say:

"-New no-no! Movies are bad now!"

• Like 1

Most of the Birthday Boys and Armin show up too.

I really hope CBB Universe Alan Thicke isn't done for. The running joke of "____ Thicke" is my favorite joke of that kind right next to the "Space Mutiny" Dave Ryder/Blast Hardcheese/Big Mclargehuge nicknames.

I find myself coming up with different iterations of the show throughout the day (i.e. "Inexcusably Thicke")

Have they ever done "Unapologetically Thicke"?

• Like 1

Paul, Gilly, and Claudia are on @midnight tonight.

That sounds like fun, how was it? I dont tune in all the time, but I find that when I cherrypick for guests that I like @midnight is usually pretty good

It was great! All three of them had some great jokes and the person who was the best throughout the show actually won.

Most of the Birthday Boys and Armin show up too.

John Lennon makes an appearance during a jam sesh.

Also Claudia O'Doherty is so phenomenal on the show. Kind of makes me sad she wasn't on this ep (in character or otherwise).