🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Nic Cage. John Travolta.

Both appeared in multiple episodes of How Did This Get Made which makes them the kings of bad movies...and yet, nobody has discussed their epic film together.

Do it.

• Like 1

I know, it's a 94% on Rotten Tomatoes but no one can take this movie seriously. It has two of the greatest overacting performances from two of the greatest overactors of our time, Ridiculous Cage and John Travolta. Also, its premise is more ludicrous than Crank and Crank 2 combined. Unlike the Crank franchise, however, the entire film is played straight. There isn't a single "we're in on the joke, too" moment throughout.

If you're not convinced yet, a crucial scene involves *spoiler alert* 1) Nick Cage 2) a prison cafeteria 3) violent hysteria and 4) magnetic boots.

Go get 'em, team!

• Like 3

I'm guessing this must have been recommended already, but let me just reiterate, this movie sucks in the best way possible. In the first part of the film we have some classic Cage scene chewing, the Cage and Travolta seamlessly switch faces for some stupid reason, even though Travolta is a good 50 pounds heavier and has a head twice as big as Cage's. Then we have Travolta doing his impression of classic Cage scene chewing. Add in a futuristic super-max prison on an oil rig, enough slow motion for an entire season of MythBusters, and some creepy pseudo-incest and you have the aptly titled Face Off.

[attachment=4913,109] [attachment=4913,110]

I was pretty surprised that no one has said this one yet. First off I am going to say that I legitimately love this movie. It is both actually awesome and terribly awesome at the same time. You have 2 huge stars in John Travolta and of course Nicholas Cage. Cage plays an AMAZING insane bad guy in the beginning and i feel like the films only downfall is that he has to become the good guy so early. This was also one of John Woo's first big american movie (and probably his only good one) so all of the stereotypical flying doves and roses are in it. The whole concept of the movie has been parodied countless times for its ridiculousness and after not seeing it for a long time I forget how insane it really was. I think this would make a great movie for HDTGM because people will actually enjoy watching it but there are also so many insane things in it to pick apart.

What a surprise! Another Nic 'Ridiculous' Cage movie! This movie is insane in a horrible way and also features a crazy performance by Travolta. I was forced to remember this movie when I saw a list on Cracked. Just check out Cage's face in the article (the second picture): http://www.cracked.c...y-happened.html That alone is enough to review this movie, but there is so much more.

How has this movie not been brought up yet?! This movie falls into both categories for Crazy Nic Cage and Crazy John Travolta movies as well has batshit John Woo films. More so, this was I feel the start of Cage's downfall. There was that trilogy of summer action blockbusters for Cage after he won his Oscar (The Rock, Con Air, and Face/Off) with the last two coming out 3 weeks apart from each other in June of 1997. Then he had City of Angels before going full on crazy with things like Snake Eyes and 8mm.

This movie was insane in how both Travolta and Cage and to play themselves playing each other. Then you add on face surgery, an ocean prison where prisoners wear the boots from Super Mario Bros. (I'm not kidding, they look exactly the same), horrible editing where you see the pulley wires for when guys get shot, Margaret Cho doing karate, and of course doves before shootouts.

You also have a gunfight to "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and Cage as a headbanging preacher who plants a bomb with a cartoon that flashes its big tits, this has HDTGM written all over it.

How in the hell has this not been done yet?!?!?! Honestly, how did this movie get made? When was a face transplanting ever an option or even realistic? Nick Cage's acting is next level bonkers. Travolta's isn't too good either which isn't surprising. But, seriously, the plot, the acting... Everything about the movie is mad bonkers. Not to mention, its high time to get another Dickless Cage movie on HDTGM!

Well, to be fair face transplants are realistic these days.

But yeah, this movie is pretty nutty. I'd think they'd do it in the spirit of Crank.

Yeah, it's more realistic nowadays, but not like this movie hahaha. The whole 25 minute ending fight/chase was the best. Like John Travolta's (with Nick's face) speedboat ramping up the inside of a Coast Guard ship and blowing it up. And the whole slow-mo scene where the other speedboat blows up when it hits the shore, and the two Facers launch like 45 feet in the air, over like a quarter mile and crash onto the beach. And, I forgot about the scene at the very beginning where Nicolas Cage is dressed as a priest and touches that girl's butt in the choir and like cums in his pants instantly.

merged threads.

I've only seen this movie once and I feel like I got confused halfway through because Travolta is supposed to be Cage but one of them is bad and one is good or not(?) but they're playing each other and Nic Cage is the bad one at the beginning(??) aaand... I dunno. I DO remember the priest grabbing the butt part. For whatever reason that part is stuck in there.

• Like 1

Thanks for merging them, I searched for Face/Off before I posted it and nothing came up. There's no finding sense in this film hahaha. It's just awful. This movie literally screams How Did This Get Made

Thanks for merging them, I searched for Face/Off before I posted it and nothing came up.

Not your fault. The search thing is really finnick-y and doesn't like punctuation or more than one word or most words really. The way I usually find multiples is by sorting the threads by title and going through all 40 pages. It's kind of daunting. But I do it, because I want the suggestions to be fairly represented. It's way easier to see which movies people really want to see when they aren't split into five separate threads. :)

It's pretty insane this movie hasnt been done yet.

The opening ten minutes alone has enough to discuss for an entire hour.

I loved this movie as a teen, and I suspended my disbelief with the bullshit science. I'm sure I will still think it is still as entertaining and ludacris as it was back in the 90's.

Best Creeptastic moment-

" I can eat a peach for hours" - Nick Cage

This really is a perfect movie for HDTGM. The over/under acting of both Cage and Travolta are enough to warrant and episode, and that's in addition to the crazy plot. I still don't understand why they wouldn't choose two actors who had a somewhat similar body shape.

Maybe it's a movie that has been ripped apart by a lot of people already but I think there are a lot of younger listeners who might have never heard of it. The best part is, whether you like the movie or not, it is a very enjoyable action movie to watch.

• Like 1

Speaking of Face Off...

Margaret Cho: 'John Travolta Is Like Oscar Wilde Gay'

"I’m going to get in trouble but I’ll just tell you," she continued. " He’s not just gay. He doesn’t just like men. He is like Oscar Wilde gay, like Lord Byron gay. That kind of crazy, incredibly flamboyant gay."

"I feel bad for him, because I know he would be much happier if he could just come out," she says, "But he can’t."

Margaret Cho co-starred alongside John Travolta in 1997's "Face/Off."

"It was a weird movie because the way that he worked on it was John Travolta, he can only work 10 hours a day," she explains. " And part of the 10 hours is him flying his plane to the location and flying home. So essentially he only had to work like five hours a day."

She wasted no time making another joke about his sexuality.

"He was so pampered and so taken care of, it was the closest I have ever been to being in the presence of a king," before adding, "Or a queen, actually."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/margaret-cho-john-travolta-oscar-195200414.html

That's funny, because Margaret Cho is LGBTetc but only dates men and is married to one.

I don't get the pressure on some of these people like Travolta or Kevin Spacey. If they want to stay in the closet, let 'em. It's their life. I've never heard similar statements about, say, Jodie Foster. Is it me or does there seem to be a crazy reverse gender thing here where there's much more shit being flung towards closeted gays than closeted lesbians? This is probably a deeper issue than I'm able to think about right now. Time for a burrito.

• Like 2

I don't get the pressure on some of these people like Travolta or Kevin Spacey. If they want to stay in the closet, let 'em. It's their life. I've never heard similar statements about, say, Jodie Foster. Is it me or does there seem to be a crazy reverse gender thing here where there's much more shit being flung towards closeted gays than closeted lesbians?

People were getting on Jodie Foster's case for a long while. (There was a Huffington Post article I read where someone lambasted her for taking so long to come out when doing so earlier could have helped gay teenagers, somehow.) And people still want Queen Latifah to come out of the closet. It IS likely more amplified for people like Travolta and Spacey, though, perhaps because of the whole "middle-aged women in Hollywood can only be moms, but men of any age can be the lead" thing.

Sign in to follow this