🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays - Week 16 - Krush Groove (1985)

After I watch a musical sure enough one sure enough one of the songs will ring in my head throughout the following days.

For me, it has to be New Edition:

Also, Bobby Brown was 16 and looks like he is 12. Like the polar opposite of the Fat Boys.

• Like 6

Speaking of Blair Underwood and age, here is an image of him from this year or last year, but if you told me this picture, of a 50-year-old-man, was taken five years after Krush Groove was made, I would believe you...

blair-underwood.jpg

I think I have a... krush on him.

• Like 6

As I get older, I find myself comparing my age to how old actors were when they made something. It's a really weird and annoying habit I have. They all look more like an "adult" even if I'm technically older than they were when they played a particular part.

• Like 4

He doesn't age.

Anytime I see Blair Underwood in something, I think about him as Miranda's neighbor/ doctor boyfriend in Sex and the City.

I liked him with Miranda, but obviously Steve is #1.

• Like 3

For me, it has to be New Edition:

Also, Bobby Brown was 16 and looks like he is 12. Like the polar opposite of the Fat Boys.

Mine was Holly Rock, mainly because it showed a different side of Sheila E. than I remembered. Here's an extended version.

[media='']

[/media]
  • Like 4

Mine was Holly Rock, mainly because it showed a different side of Sheila E. than I remembered. Here's an extended version.

Also, here's a link especially for CamBert. It's Sheila performing Holly Rock live. Every time I try and watch it I get "This can only be watched on YouTube" even though I'm on YouTube! Maybe it's a country limitation thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taZdi28YHE8

ETA: Maybe CamBert can see it since I assume this was shared in Japan. The video title is

シーラ・E SHEILA E - HOLLY ROCK(LIVE 1986) .

• Like 4

Anytime I see Blair Underwood in something, I think about him as Miranda's neighbor/ doctor boyfriend in Sex and the City.

My least favorite was the donut guy from weight watchers, but maybe because I have that Sbarro scene in my head rn.

• Like 4

He doesn't age.

The same year he did Krush Groove he starred as Elias in the miniseries V. That's where I was first introduced to him. That was a far different character than Russell Walker even though they were both portrayed as hustlers.

• Like 2

Related to New Edition -- this movie fucks with geography, too. New Edition would never participate in the Tin Pan Apple talent show because they were from Boston. They were managed by noted dirtbag Maurice Starr, who stole all their early earnings and eventually repeated the scam with NKOTB.

• Like 5

The same year he did Krush Groove he starred as Elias in the miniseries V. That's where I was first introduced to him. That was a far different character than Russell Walker even though they were both portrayed as hustlers.

I was wrong. Blair wasn't in V (but I could have sworn that was him) and it was in 1983. What can I do to go for the trifecta of errors?

• Like 2

And the song I have in my head from the movie is:

cause I do like Run DMC. I did wish there was more of them and less of the Fat Boys in the movie..

• Like 5

cause I do like Run DMC. I did wish there was more of them and less of the Fat Boys in the movie..

Agreed. I also would've taken more NE, Beastie Boys, even LL Cool J

• Like 5

just watched this again (idk why), but at the end is it implying that they ate the wallpaper/picture of food that was next to their table too?

I missed that the first time watching, but probably because I was too busy being disgusted.

• Like 6

just watched this again (idk why), but at the end is it implying that they ate the wallpaper/picture of food that was next to their table too?

I missed that the first time watching, but probably because I was too busy being disgusted.

Holy shit, that's a great C&O.

Also, how the fuck did they manage to run after eating all of that?

• Like 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hN1SKVx31s

This one for me as well. I love Run-DMC! I also liked Holly Rock because it was the most Eighties thing I've seen in a long while. I don't know how you can get that Fat Boys song stuck in your head. In that scene, last thing I was paying attention to was the music.

• Like 3

I kept going back to comparing this to That Thing You Do, in particular the Run and Russell story (also note that Run and Russell's real dad played their minister father).

• Like 6

This one for me as well. I love Run-DMC! I also liked Holly Rock because it was the most Eighties thing I've seen in a long while. I don't know how you can get that Fat Boyz song stuck in your head. In that scene, last thing I was paying attention to was the music.

Oh yeah, that Sax def made it feel super 80s to me. Plus that whole song felt very Prince-ish to me.

• Like 2

obviously I didn't / don't know jack about Sheila E.

Reading up more about her-- she had a history with Prince.

Prince met Sheila E. at a concert in 1978, when she was performing with her father. After the show he met her and told her that he and his bassist "were just fighting about which one of us would be the first to be your husband." He also vowed that one day she would join his band. The two would eventually join forces during the Purple Rain recording sessions. She provided vocals on the B-side to "Let's Go Crazy", "Erotic City" in 1984. Though taken under Prince's wing, she proved to be a successful artist in her own right.

In June 1984, she released her debut album The Glamorous Life. The album's title-track single "The Glamorous Life" peaked at number 7 the Hot 100 and also topped the dance charts for two weeks in August 1984... She also toured as the opening act for Prince's Purple Rain Tour and the duo simultaneously began a brief romantic relationship, while Prince was still seeing Susannah Melvoin, twin sister of The Revolution band member, Wendy Melvoin.[8] They would later become briefly engaged in the late '80s, during Prince's Sign o the Times Tour.[9]

So..that makes sense... (and my instincts are on point)

• Like 3

Oh yeah, that Sax def made it feel super 80s to me. Plus that whole song felt very Prince-ish to me.

She definitely raided Prince's closet for Holly Rock.

• Like 5

I just want to say, I didn't dislike this movie, I just think it suffered from trying to do too much. Like, we're all over the place when it comes to characters. I think, for cohesion's sake, maybe the movie should have just followed Russel and Rubin gathering a Fellowship of the Rings-type crew to pay off the loan shark. No, it might not have been "true" exactly, but it would have been a lot more streamlined then following a bunch of disparate characters that seem to only be tangentially related to one another.

And before you ask, yes, I have put some thought into this...

Kurtis Blow = Aragorn

LL Cool J = Legolas

The Fat Boys = Gimli

Run = Boromir

DMC and Jam Master Jay = Merry and Pippin

Russell = Frodo

Rick Rubin = Samwise

Sheila E = Arwen (but mostly default due to fact that LotR and Krush Groove have the same ratio of women to men)

• Like 4

So...I just bought the soundtrack, and Debbie Harry is on this motherfucker. Did "Rapture" really give her that much street cred? All I know of her rapping ability is that a lot of things "eat cars, go to bars, come from Mars, and then eat more cars (apparently)."

• Like 3

So...I just bought the soundtrack, and Debbie Harry is on this motherfucker. Did "Rapture" really give her that much street cred? All I know of her rapping ability is that a lot of things "eat cars, go to bars, come from Mars, and then eat more cars (apparently)."

I'm no expert but I never thought it gave her much street credibility. I figure it's similar to how people of color saw Elvis bringing rock n roll to the masses. There's probably some begrudging respect but probably way outnumbered by the people who realize rap would have made it to white audiences without a white person performing it. I would assume including Debbie Harry was for marketing it to people who otherwise had little interest in rap.

The rapping part of Rapture is pretty bad and easily the worst part of the song in my opinion.

• Like 2

I just want to say, I didn't dislike this movie, I just think it suffered from trying to do too much. Like, we're all over the place when it comes to characters. I think, for cohesion's sake, maybe the movie should have just followed Russel and Rubin gathering a Fellowship of the Rings-type crew to pay off the loan shark. No, it might not have been "true" exactly, but it would have been a lot more streamlined then following a bunch of disparate characters that seem to only be tangentially related to one another.

I agree. I didn't hate it, but it did suffer from trying to do too much.

I think it had potential to be "better" or more enjoyable. I feel like they should've stuck more with the Run DMC plotline, because the Fat Boyz storyline was not really needed.

The Fat Boyz were not on the "Krush Groove" label like Run DMC was, correct? (Did I miss something?)

And I was generally more interested with the Rusell Simmons and Run DMC story than anything else going on.

Too many stories and artist/groups storylines, and artist/group cameos... just too much going on.

• Like 3

obviously I didn't / don't know jack about Sheila E.

Reading up more about her-- she had a history with Prince.

I mean, "A Love Bizarre" is straight up a Prince song (he co-wrote but his fingerprints are all over it)

• Like 3

So...I just bought the soundtrack, and Debbie Harry is on this motherfucker. Did "Rapture" really give her that much street cred?

Yeah, it kind of did.

Fab 5 Freddy

4 years ago

I took Blondie and a bunch of downtown NY new wave buddies uptown to a rap show only once. It was at a PAL, (Police Athletic League) at 183rd and Webster Ave. They loved it all, especially Debbie.

Now the lyrics are terrible, but that was pretty much the standard at the time. Harry at least wrote her lyrics and didn't steal them (like Big Bank Hank of the Sugarhill Gang). Probably worth remembering that people hadn't grown up with hip hop yet. Rap was being invented on the fly.

There are a ton of documentaries on the origins and popularization of hip hop, some pretty good. But there's something to seeing a contemporary report on hip hop as it was happening. Harry features early, and there's a mutton chopped Kurtis Blow. You'll also see how corny a lot of early rap really was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWHwcmoNZm8

• Like 4