đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
JulyDiaz

Episode 178.5 - Minisode 178.5

I can tell you that I will see at least one porg and one lightsaber today *somewhere*

Me too. And that's without leaving my living room :)

• Like 4

I loved TLJ, and while everyone is entitled to their opinions, I think it's funny to hear things like "SW movies just come out too frequently" when we live in a world where there are at least three Marvel movies per year (and one to two Netflix series). I'm so burned out on those movies, even if I totally loved Thor because it was a refreshing change of pace, so I guess I kind of get why people might feel that way about SW. But at the same time, we only get one of the main story every two years, and I stay really excited about those.

People have been talking about Marvel and superhero fatigue since Avengers 2 at least. I'm certainly tired of them or, at best, they have very limited effect on me. After the next two Avengers I'm probably done with the movies. The Netflix shows I'm done with except Jessica Jones 2.

Your point still stands that Marvel is putting out something every few months compared to once a year but I certainly don't need a new Star Wars every year either.

Maybe that's why I feel that way about Marvel. I usually see 2-3 movies a week in the theater, and it's rare that I don't see a Marvel trailer. I don't watch that much TV, or when I do, it's DVR'd or on Hulu, so I either don't see ads or can skip right past them. I think I might also just be blind to how much SW is everywhere because it feels like it's been pretty ubiquitous for most of my life.

I don't watch tv except online. I see a movie or two a week but I worked at a theatre and skipped trailers. So, I see no ads (for example, I never saw a Last Jedi trailer) but even I saw Starr wars branding on everything. When I see billboards for limited edition Star Wars paper towels, ugh, get fucking real. That's too much Star Wars.

• Like 2

I don't watch tv except online. I see a movie or two a week but I worked at a theatre and skipped trailers. So, I see no ads (for example, I never saw a Last Jedi trailer) but even I saw Starr wars branding on everything. When I see billboards for limited edition Star Wars paper towels, ugh, get fucking real. That's too much Star Wars.

They've been doing that since pretty much forever. I get Cameron's point about not having any respite from it, but it's not like this is any more or less than it's been at the same time as any other SW release. I was a senior in high school in 1999 and worked in a toy store. Maybe I just saw sooo much Star Wars stuff at that point that I'm kind of blind to it now? I honestly don't know, but it doesn't bother me because it's something that SW has always done, and I guess I just kind of block it out.

• Like 2

I had to see this for myself.

3_bounty_parent_sas_starwars.jpg?w=460&v=1-201708181528

Ok, so I did end up buying a pint of "Star Wars" ice cream, but I would've bought it anyway regardless of the SW tie-in (sweet cream ice cream with dark chocolate fudge swirls, come on).

• Like 4

They've been doing that since pretty much forever. I get Cameron's point about not having any respite from it, but it's not like this is any more or less than it's been at the same time as any other SW release. I was a senior in high school in 1999 and worked in a toy store. Maybe I just saw sooo much Star Wars stuff at that point that I'm kind of blind to it now? I honestly don't know, but it doesn't bother me because it's something that SW has always done, and I guess I just kind of block it out.

Yeah, I definitely get that.

As someone who doesn't ever go in the toy aisle, now that I'm seeing produce with Star Wars on it, I feel like it's bigger than ever. Not just ice cream but BB8 oranges or whatever. I just wonder how much money did Disney spend and is this truly influencing enough people to buy oranges to offset that cost? I don't know.

I don't really care about it. It just seems a bit silly is all.

• Like 2

And even if one does manage to do something different, will we even be able to notice at that point? Will we even care?

Before seeing The Last Jedi I would have probably said no, but then I saw it and loved it. So I guess it is still possible.

• Like 1

Now there are grown adults who are too young to remember it (and boy does that make me feel old), but the long period in between Return of the Jedi and Phantom Menace (1983-1999) was a time when there was very little Star Wars marketing around. Don't get me wrong, the movies were still cultural touchstones and all, but there wasn't much to market outside of niche stuff for the hardcore fans. There was a brief frenzy in 1997 when the Special Editions came out in theaters, but that only lasted as long as the movies were playing.

So yeah, these days it can definitely feel like Star Wars is everywhere all the time. But as others have pointed out, that's not much different from every other nerd franchise they're running into the ground. I just try to look at them as movies: some good, some bad. At some point this fad will run its course and we'll just be left with those.

Maybe that's why I feel that way about Marvel. I usually see 2-3 movies a week in the theater, and it's rare that I don't see a Marvel trailer. I don't watch that much TV, or when I do, it's DVR'd or on Hulu, so I either don't see ads or can skip right past them. I think I might also just be blind to how much SW is everywhere because it feels like it's been pretty ubiquitous for most of my life.

2 or 3 a week. you're living the dream. if i get to see one a month i'm delighted. for various reasons the movie going experience is becoming a rarity for me so i think that's why i got so worked up about TLJ. i know i wont get to see another movie in a theater for weeks so it bummed me out even more that i didn't enjoy it.

as for trailers. i too skip them on DVR or switch channels but you can't do that in the theater so i have started to just put my head down and stare at my hands or feet whenever a trailer for a movie i think i might go to see comes on...i just zone out. it actually works too. i didn't SEE a single trailer for thor: ragnarok (i heard it a few times though) and i found i loved that everything, visually anyway, was new to me. same goes for all the upcoming marvel movies. there were trailers for black panther and the new avengers movie on before TLJ and all i saw was my hands. they sound great though ... i did watch the trailer for the new nutcracker movie. not my cup of tea but i was sitting there on the 3rd of january watching a trailer for a movie i know is a christmas movie so at best it wont be out here till november ... that annoyed me. it's too early for that. way too early.

but speaking of all the marvel movies. i've said before i've never read any of the comics so all my avengers exposure is from the movies but i've been getting more and more bored by the "universal" storyline (if that makes sense). as a whole they just seem to be stuck. nothings happening. they are just adding more and more characters and then they all get into a big fight or there's infighting and in the end everything is more or less sorted out. i've felt for a while now that i just want it to end. i want that one big movie where i know it's the last one and anyone can be killed off and i know the enemy is the "boss" and once it's over it's over. each movie that comes out now just feels like a hurdle to getting to that one last movie. i know those in the know could probably tell me everything wrong with that statement but that's just how this uneducated viewer feels.

in saying that i loved the 2 GOT movies and ragnarok was a blast. i hate the first 2 thor movies but ragnarok was alot of fun. would it they have made it as much fun if GOT hadn't have been so successful i don't know but i'm glad it was. plus i love the hulk so .... i actually got a kindle fire before christmas in the sales and got a month of kindle unlimited with it and i used it to read some hulk comics for the first time. i really enjoyed the "gray" series .. christmas took over so i didn't get time to read much more but as soon as things settle down i might try to read more.

• Like 1

2 or 3 a week. you're living the dream. if i get to see one a month i'm delighted. for various reasons the movie going experience is becoming a rarity for me

Hah, same here. Don't have kids.

• Like 1

Hah, same here. Don't have kids.

For real. I saw exactly one movie in the theater this year: The Lego Batman Movie.

• Like 1

For real. I saw exactly one movie in the theater this year: The Lego Batman Movie.

I mean...not a bad one if you had to pick just one, though :P

But yeah, I see a bunch. I decided to do the MoviePass thing, so I tend to try to get as much out of it as I can - something that would be pretty much impossible if I had a family.

• Like 2

Not even Monster Trucks? You really missed out.

• Like 2

Not even Monster Trucks? You really missed out.

Can you imagine it in IMAX? It would be sensory overload.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

I mean...not a bad one if you had to pick just one, though :P

But yeah, I see a bunch. I decided to do the MoviePass thing, so I tend to try to get as much out of it as I can - something that would be pretty much impossible if I had a family.

My wife did get me MoviePass for Christmas. I'm not sure she knows what she encouraged me to do.

• Like 1

Yeah, I definitely get that.

As someone who doesn't ever go in the toy aisle, now that I'm seeing produce with Star Wars on it, I feel like it's bigger than ever. Not just ice cream but BB8 oranges or whatever. I just wonder how much money did Disney spend and is this truly influencing enough people to buy oranges to offset that cost? I don't know.

I don't really care about it. It just seems a bit silly is all.

This is amazing (although why not mandarins). Keep telling me any weird SW merchandise shit you see.

• Like 2

This is amazing (although why not mandarins). Keep telling me any weird SW merchandise shit you see.

I don’t think these are new, but on the same token...

enhanced-25016-1450109757-5.png?downsize=715:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto

Also, my parents OWNED this record...

(I wonder if they still have it...)

• Like 2

My wife did get me MoviePass for Christmas. I'm not sure she knows what she encouraged me to do.

Pssst....she wants you out of the house.

• Like 3

Pssst....she wants you out of the house.

Yes, but it's so she can complain later about how much I don't help out. You gotta think three moves ahead.

• Like 3

In other news, I'm not finding very many things to talk about vis-Ă -vis Second Sight. I'm only about halfway through and I find it to be neither good nor bad. It just sort of...exists.

• Like 4

In other news, I'm not finding very many things to talk about vis-Ă -vis Second Sight. I'm only about halfway through and I find it to be neither good nor bad. It just sort of...exists.

That's my feeling so far as well. It's very 80's and I understand why IMDB had a hard time writing a plot summary, but nothing amazing.

Fun soundtrack, though.

• Like 4

I think you can get a lot of discussion out of what the heck Balki's powers are supposed to be.

• Like 4

That's my feeling so far as well. It's very 80's and I understand why IMDB had a hard time writing a plot summary, but nothing amazing.

I just finished. I found myself mesmerized almost the entire time, but every once in a while I would snap out of it and realize I had no idea what was happening. This must be what it feels like when dogs watch movies.

I think you can get a lot of discussion out of what the heck Balki's powers are supposed to be.

He's what dynamite is to a game of Paper-Rock-Scissors.

• Like 5

Fun soundtrack, though.

I literally remember only one song from the movie, Do You Believe in Magic, and I watched it today! By the way, I didn't know the McDonald's Happy Meal commercial song was a cover of it. Ronald, WHY?

• Like 2

I didn't know the McDonald's Happy Meal commercial song was a cover of it.

Everything about this sentence hurts my heart.

• Like 2

I literally remember only one song from the movie, Do You Believe in Magic, and I watched it today! By the way, I didn't know the McDonald's Happy Meal commercial song was a cover of it. Ronald, WHY?

I also recognized Aretha Franklin’s “Freeway of Love.” I think everything else was just clown music, though...

• Like 1