🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 183 - Ladybugs: LIVE!

Comedian Patton Oswalt (A.P. Bio) joins Paul, June, and Jason to discuss the the 1992 sports-comedy Ladybugs starring Rodney Dangerfield. They’ll talk about the lady who faints in the dressing room scene, Jackee’s sub eating technique, and Rodney breaking into song for no reason. Plus, a very special guest from the movie gives us some insight from being on set during audience Q&A!

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

You can see Jason, June, and Paul in The Disaster Artist in theaters now.

Paul’s new comedy Drive Share is available on Go90. Paul can be seen on A Futile and Stupid Gesture, Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later, Opening Night, and Veep. You can see June and Paul on NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. June stars in Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.

Jason can be seen in The Good Place, The House, The Lego Batman Movie, How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.

Rodney Dangerfield did make an opera movie. It's called The 4th Tenor.

• Like 1

Great Balls of Fire, a song by a guy who married his 13 year old cousin is featured in a movie which plays with pedophilia as a joke? Yep: Checks out.

• Like 11

I'm glad Tim is back. I was worried he might have left us.

I don't want to go dark but I do believe Jonathan Brandeis would be alive today if this movie hadn't happened.

• Like 5

The age of the girls on the team range from 10-13 years old.

Also it's very clear by Mullen's office that the team is extremely successful.

So then why did only one girl return to the team? I get some of the girls on last year's team are now older then what the league allows, but you're telling me that no other player on last year's team decided to return for another potential trophy? And what happened to the previous coach of those winning seasons?

Help!!

• Like 6

Hey Paul... Wasn't it weird, that when Chesterfield visits his girlfriend, he brings her what looks like cheap-ass bouquet of roses bought at a gas station.

What makes it even crazier, is that he presents them to her while she's tending her insanely large garden of more attractive flowers. These would be beneath her standards and if she ever wanted flowers in her house, she would pull from her own garden.

E4hqOBQ.png

• Like 5

I loved the intro to this podcast b/c that's exactly how I felt.

I watched this religiously when I was like 8-9 (when it came out), and I loved it. However, watching movies as an adult is def eye-opening.

My gf watched w/me too, and she couldn't handle the pedo-ey vibes R Danger kept throwing out there.

All I can say is that Vinessa Shaw is still the Day One crush. I remember seeing her later on in Hocus Pocus and 3:10 to Yuma and thinking "it's the ladybugs girl!".

• Like 2

The age of the girls on the team range from 10-13 years old.

Also it's very clear by Mullen's office that the team is extremely successful.

So then why did only one girl return to the team? I get some of the girls on last year's team are now older then what the league allows, but you're telling me that no other player on last year's team decided to return for another potential trophy? And what happened to the previous coach of those winning seasons?

Help!!

Based off the movie vibes, I guessing the coach got fired for inappropriate conduct and the girls quit the team b/c "ain't nobody got time for that".

• Like 2

Dibs on the request to make the Lynch-esque cut of the trailer. I am doing it this weekend, come hell or high water. Hold me to it.

• Like 8

Dibs on the request to make the Lynch-esque cut of the trailer. I am doing it this weekend, come hell or high water. Hold me to it.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Two omissions:

I have never seen people announce that they're getting off an elevator in real life, on tv, or in a movie. Is that a thing people do? Why include that in the movie? Those men don't even need to be in the scene much less have a line! And a line as pointless as "getting off!"? I was expecting Dangerfield to make a jacking off joke, but nothing. They just have to move out of the way and stop their conversation over and over again. Very strange.

Also the fancy meal that Brandis fantasizes about is two plain hamburgers? Did Rodney take home all the other food?

• Like 1

In the scene where Kimberly comes by Mathew/Martha's house, he is totally surprised and caught off guard. He (rightly so) asks her how did she know where he lives? To which she replies:

"Somebody told me."

My Question is: Who? Who told her? Rodney didn't. Who else knows where Mathew lives (and also knows that he's Martha)?

• Like 2

In the scene where Kimberly comes by Mathew/Martha's house, he is totally surprised and caught off guard. He (rightly so) asks her how did she know where he lives? To which she replies:

"Somebody told me."

My Question is: Who? Who told her? Rodney didn't. Who else knows where Mathew lives (and also knows that he's Martha)?

It makes me wonder if there was deleted scenes from school where he had to pretend to be both Matthew and Martha. We only see them interact at school once... when his friend throws the football.

Either that or Kimberly is a stalker.

Dangerfield looks upset whenever his wife shows up and says i love u as a lie to distract when son is sneaking in drag. The lady who faint at mall was great. 12 year old dont skinny dip

• Like 1

"Somebody told me."

Matthew would have had to fill out some paperwork for the soccer league in order to play as Martha, wouldn't he? Kimberly's dad owned the team, so ... maybe?

Hey Paul... Wasn't it weird, that when Chesterfield visits his girlfriend, he brings her what looks like cheap-ass bouquet of roses bought at a gas station.

What makes it even crazier, is that he presents them to her while she's tending her insanely large garden of more attractive flowers. These would be beneath her standards and if she ever wanted flowers in her house, she would pull from her own garden.

e9frv.gif

• Like 1

EDIT: HEY EVERYONE! IGNORE THESE NUMBERS BECAUSE THEY ARE WRONG! I HAVE AN AMENDED NUMBERS LATER IN THE THREAD!

I looked into which years have the most How Did This Get Made? movies. Here are the years with five or more movies:

9 movies: 1987, 2011

8 movies: 1995, 1996

7 movies: 1985, 1989, 2012

6 movies: 1986, 1991, 1992, 2003, 2006, 2010, 2013

5 movies: 1988, 1993, 1994, 2001, 2007, 2009

Since 1980, two years have not had a single How Did This Get Made movie. 2018 for the obvious reason and 1981. I have a some possible suggestions for 1981: Nobody's Perfekt, Going Ape, Carbon Copy and Heartbeeps. I've seen Nobody's Perfekt and Going Ape but it's probably been 20 years since I saw them. I liked them as a kid but they have probably not aged well. Carbon Copy and Heartbeeps both look amazingly bad.

• Like 1

Man, "Summer Girls" is a good song. The only redeemable thing about this movie is that it plays "Summer Girls" twice.

That said, this movie was a great pick and I love this ep!

Okay so a few things from the top of my head.

In regards to Dangerfield's collection of spatulas and silverware and taking all of the craft services each night. It makes sense considering that Dangerfield was born in 1921, making him 71 when this movie was made, was a child of the Great Depression. I know from members of my family and anecdotes from other people, that they became hoarders of certain things like food or not letting food go to waste as they were raised to use everything since it was so limited when they were growing up.

Second, for the mention of Leonardo DiCaprio being too pretty to be in the movie, there was an interesting article on Cracked in the last couple weeks about the secret story of Titanic being that Jack was actually a woman posing as a man, mainly due to Cameron mentioning in a few interviews that he picked Leo for being not as masculine looking as the other candidates for the role and a few other reasons. http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-much-better-movie-hiding-in-titanic/

As for the weird items in offices, I think it can be safe to say that the director used prior experience from Superman IV to make the wealthy boss' office filled with random extravagant things similar to Lex Luthor's penthouse filled with random, expensive looking crap.

And speaking of being inspired, I think it is safe to say that Ron Artest was inspired by Nancy going HAM on everyone when he went into the stands in Detroit and started beating fans, especially after reading some of his crazy ramblings in various interviews since that incident.

• Like 4

I looked into which years have the most How Did This Get Made? movies. Here are the years with five or more movies:

9 movies: 1987, 2011

8 movies: 1995, 1996

7 movies: 1985, 1989, 2012

6 movies: 1986, 1991, 1992, 2003, 2006, 2010, 2013

5 movies: 1988, 1993, 1994, 2001, 2007, 2009

Since 1980, two years have not had a single How Did This Get Made movie. 2018 for the obvious reason and 1981. I have a some possible suggestions for 1981: Nobody's Perfekt, Going Ape, Carbon Copy and Heartbeeps. I've seen Nobody's Perfekt and Going Ape but it's probably been 20 years since I saw them. I liked them as a kid but they have probably not aged well. Carbon Copy and Heartbeeps both look amazingly bad.

i've been saying this for about 2 years. i think paul has some sort of block on the year 1981. whenever i bring it up people always come back with caveman. it's on youtube. it looks horrible.

my numbers are different to yours though. i guess this is the difference between wikipedia and imdb. i tried to take the USA release date as much as possible too. and no doubt i got a few wrong. but 1981 is definitely starting to trigger some OCD feelings in me.

• Like 1

I'd like to dispel a myth if I can:

The scene where Matthew runs into a women's bathroom to become "Martha," while Chester waits outside and diverts a little old lady into the men's room, where she screams in terror as Chester says "She probably seeing something she never sees at home."

39697901255_21eef9d54a_c.jpg

What, exactly, is she seeing? I've been in thousands men's restrooms and have never ever really come close to seeing a dick. There are partitions, there are stalls with doors, and there are "eyes up and front" rules ... even with the infamous trough at the sports stadiums, you have to try to see junk, and you try at your own peril. This is one of those jokes that isn't based in anything in real life. Everyone in life has gone into the wrong restroom and usually can back out graceful with minimal incident.

Remember, kids: NOBODY COCKFLAPS IN THE MENS ROOM!

• Like 7