🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
cagefan

One for the Money (2012)

It's been a little while since we've had a movie that was actually in theaters. Not only is One for the Money in theaters currently, it made $11M in its opening weekend despite a 3% rotten tomatoes score. It's got Kathrine Heigl who is phenomenally awful in everything she does except knocked up. She's almost as ridiculous as the Cage. DO IT!!!

I think about 25-35% percent of that $11m is from people who love shitty movies. I personally have been eagerly awaiting the release of that suckfest since I saw the previews about 2 weeks ago. Then I saw the $6 groupon ad, and it was on like donkey kong.

• Like 1

Cage's performances at least inspire interest in their level of insanity, whereas Heigl is so monumentally uninteresting that the power and magnitude of her blandness doesn't even crush the apathy.

• Like 1

I'd recommend reviewing this movie more for the bad writing than the bad acting. There are so many contrived co-incidences. Several characters are unnecessary (Annie Parisse most notably). The plot is just so facile, you can just see the characters trying their hardest not to succeed just so they can draw out the run length of the movie.

Holy S%*t. My GF's roomate is watching this horrendous traincrash of a movie. I'm sitting here doing work and I literally just yelled out "What. The. F$%k. Is wrong with this movie????". Katherine Heigl doing a stupendously bad Jersey accent and being a bounty hunter (I think). Dunno, I'm not actually watching it, but (as Jason would say) it is BANANAS how bad this movie is.

Oh man, she just met up w/ a couple caricatures of Black women dressed like they were respectively from the 90s SaltnPeppa era and some sort of 70s era blaxploitation character.

Jesus, that's followed by a scene where a dude starts roughing up Heigl in The Octagon. Bananas. Please, for the love of all that is holy, do this movie.

I actually worked on "One For the Money" for a few days when it was filming in and around Pittsburgh, which was supposed to pass for Newark, New Jersey. I'm not sure what that says about us really...

I was a driver in the scene where she has the naked guy in the car, she walks past my parked car a few times when she's waiting for the guy in the parking area of his apartment building (and the cars are all parked in the exact same spots later on when she's back there again later in the movie), I'm an orderly in the hospital scene where they wheel out Sherri Shepherd, and then I did 2 days worth of driving in a bridge sequence that I guess got cut. There's no way I'd watch this thing in it's entirety, but I manage a movie theater, so I was able to poke in and out to see if my scenes were coming up. It's not a bad gig, getting paid to work on terrible movies you'd never watch. "Abduction" was still the worst though.

My wife took me to this at the theater. She got a groupon deal for tickets. I attempted to sleep, but it was so terrible that it sucked me in. I hated Katherine Heigl movies before this, and now I hate Katherine Heigl and groupon.

• Like 1

I saw this on a plane with the sound off and loved every minute of it.

My summary: Katherine Heigl looks condescendingly at men.

Beautiful film without the sound.

OMG, the writing on this movie... I don't know what it was precisely--maybe it was just a poor screenplay adaptation from the book that left too many subplots in--but it just felt so loooong. And it was only 90 minutes.

I worked on this film for a few days when it was shooting in Pittsburgh (which doubled for Newark, and I don't know how to feel about that...), and I wasn't used for most of it. I eventually made it on-camera as an orderly right before they wheeled Sherry Sheperd's (not even going to check if that's spelled right) character out of the emergency room and I did a lot of driving in a sequence that was cut. Still, there are worse gigs to have. I mean, I was still getting paid to not do much more than stare at Ketherine Heigl's ass all day.

• Like 2

Heigl is crazy beautiful in this film, but it's just not very good. Still, when it starts dragging, she'll come on in tight jeans and suddenly the film becomes more interesting again.

I've read a lot of the books in this series, and I thought they were perfect for film adaptation. But wow, did this mess up. It's not like the plots of the books are amazing or anything, but they're certainly more fun than this.

If you can just stare at Katherine Heigl in those jeans she wears, then the film is wonderful. Otherwise, not so much.

I rather enjoyed the books the film is based on too, which is maybe I was as disappointed in it as I was.

If you can just stare at Katherine Heigl in those jeans she wears, then the film is wonderful. Otherwise, not so much.

I rather enjoyed the books the film is based on too, which is maybe I was as disappointed in it as I was.

I DID stare at Katherine Heigl in those jeans during the making of this film, and I got paid for it, so I can only hate the film so much. Isn't there another thread for this already, or did I just mention my "One For the Money" involvement elsewhere?

HDTGM has explored the bad movies of a lot of notable actors - Van Damme, Stallone, Cage... but what about the women?

I'd like to suggest that HDTGM take on the filmography of Katherine Heigl, starting with One For the Money (2012).

After leaving Gray's Anatomy in a Caruso-esque blaze of tabloid glory, Heigl struggled to find a movie career. She fumbled around romantic comedies and tried to redefine herself in indie dramas with middling success, but her most ambitious project was to launch Janet Evanovich's sequentially titled Stephanie Plum novels into a film franchise.

Needless to say, it tanked hard.

The movie has some fine performances and a good cast, but it's the classic case of overthinking. The tone doesn't fit the material, the editing choices are weird and it has the fingerprints of a nervous, risk-averse studio all over it. Please consider this one for a future podcast. Thanks!

I watched this on a plane and it seemed good although I do take benadril to fly, I'll have to rewatch it to see how bad it is.

Sign in to follow this